The Upside (Wisconsin) | Syracusefan.com

The Upside (Wisconsin)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Mike Gbinije continues to play at an All-American level. He had 19 points, (of 58) with 5 assists and 5 steals tonight.

- We had a Kaleb Joseph sighting. He scored 6 points with 2 assists and a steal in 14 minutes of play. We don’t need Joseph, Howard and Obokoh to be consistent contributors. They won’t play enough for that. We need them to be occasional contributors so their combined contributions will make a difference. This was Joseph’s game to shine: who is next?

- We got killed on the board but were +9 in turnovers, thanks to 8 steals.

- I guess you’ve got to give the team credit: They got out-rebounded by 26 and missed 9 free throws but almost won this in regulation and only lost it in overtime against one of the top programs in the country.

- We weren’t going to win all of them. We aren’t going to lose all of them, either.

6-1 with 24 to go…

LET’S GO ORANGE!

(sigh) We got our butts kicked on the boards. Wisconsin is an awesome rebounding team... they just can't put it back in the basket. We shot miserably from the FT line. We had 2 freshmen who finally played like freshmen in one game. This is the problem with being "ranked". Expectations suddenly go crazy and everybody thinks we should beat everybody. Before we were ranked everybody just seemed to enjoy this team because they were fun to watch. Win or lose just enjoy this team. Now from my perspective:
1) It was great to see KJ play a decent game ... even tho I was yelling: "Get your d... arms up;
2) Lydon was simply outmanned underneath. As I've said before he just hasn't the weight and muscle to go against those big 5s. And when he went outside they had him covered to prevent the 3;
3) I have no idea why JB didn't insert DC2 ... anybody? Please don't say injury;
4) G is still great ... and I don't understand about the no call;
5) While not a great shooter TC is an important part of our best guard combo defensively. Wisconsin was not getting any great shots from the back court but all their points came inside or from the wings. Our middle looked like a sieve;
6) Mal and TL had a freshman let down. They'll be back so enjoy them and (hopefully) this will somewhat dull the NBA scouts' enthusiasm. Bad for Mal and TL but great for us;
7) TR was missing in action except for when he was fouling mainly because he was out of position. On him ... but also credit Wiscy for boxing and throwing those passes into their big men in the lane.

Hey, its a loss. We will have more this year. But its a learning process. Enjoy them when they win and don't bash them when they lose. We will have cold shooting nights and when that happens anybody could beat us.

"Mike Gbinije continues to play at an All-American level. He had 19 points, (of 58) with 5 assists and 5 steals tonight."

Sorry, can't agree here. An all-American does not go 1-4 FT. More likely he goes 3-4. And just 1 more was all that was needed. Don't get me wrong, love the vast improvement in his game, his leadership and everything but just do no agree with that statement.

"Mike Gbinije continues to play at an All-American level. He had 19 points, (of 58) with 5 assists and 5 steals tonight."

Sorry, can't agree here. An all-American does not go 1-4 FT. More likely he goes 3-4. And just 1 more was all that was needed. Don't get me wrong, love the vast improvement in his game, his leadership and everything but just do no agree with that statement.

They don't decide All-Americans based on free throws.

It is a total mystery why G is so good from trey range and so mediocre from the FT line.

They don't decide All-Americans based on free throws.
You're right but they do based on performance under pressure and FT in the last minutes of the game are just that. If he was 1-4 and not gotten any during the last minutes it is a non-factor. I don't think I am the only one thinking that those misses with SU hanging on to a slim lead could come back to bite them.

You're right but they do based on performance under pressure and FT in the last minutes of the game are just that. If he was 1-4 and not gotten any during the last minutes it is a non-factor. I don't think I am the only one thinking that those misses with SU hanging on to a slim lead could come back to bite them.

I doubt they break down specific games. They look at the team record, (and pedigree), and the individual numbers. Losing the game probably hurt him more than missing the foul shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom