The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Do the math. 1-0 beats 0-1 every time. As bad as we looked, the dream of coming into the Notre Dame game unbeaten is very much alive.

- We get a week off to work on the problems and get the injured guys back. I think we’ll find that Villanova is a better team than Central Michigan. We’ll be OK.

- Our defense had some lane problems in its pass rush but we put enough pressure on Robertson that he was unable to throw deep or break away to score.

- And Nova ran for 190 yards but only 3.2 yards per carry. Our offensive line was supposed to be a strength and the defensive line a question mark. Last night the reverse was true.

- Cam Lynch made 15 tackles, 12 of them solo. Our middle man, Marquis Hodge had only 5. Too bad Cam didn’t turn around on that last Villanova score, though.

- For years our punter was our MVP. It may happen again. Riley Dixon hit it high and far all night (43.4). And he “threw” the winning TD pass. He looked like he was tossing darts but he got it there.

- Our back-up quarterbacks never seem to get much playing time. Austin Wilson got some serious time and looked pretty good. Not enough to create a quarterback controversy but enough to increase confidence in “the most popular guy in town”.

- Ryan Norton looked fine on the place-kicking. Last year Shaf said that he had the leg but not the timing. I think he’s got both now and will be fine.

- Cole Murphy kicked one kick-off out of bounds, (always a risk when you are ordered to kick to the corner, as both kick-off guys were clearly told to do). But he has a good leg and I think we’ll be fine there, as well.

- Erv Phillips looked good on the kick-off returns. He’s a bit bigger than Estime so maybe he’d be better at that type of return. I still like two guys back, though.

- Good crowd for a state fair day and an FCS opponent. Nice student turn-out. It was loud when the team gave us something to be loud about, (although my particular section always seems like a section of Oakwood Cemetery).

- I actually thought the new unis looked cool, although it was sometimes hard to tell similar numbers apart and the logo disappeared in the glare of the helmets. Some orange piping on the pants would be nice. But a cool look.

1-0 with 11+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors