The View from Here - LeMoyne | Syracusefan.com

The View from Here - LeMoyne

SWC75

Bored Historian
"Here" tonight was my computer through Watch-ESPN, which came through very well but was about a minute behind the radio broadcast. I didn't watch every minute of it, also looking at the election returns and making a late dinner after a much needed nap, (still haven't gotten over staying up late for the World Series games).

The big news was that Andrew White had an "as advertised" game after not being much of a factor against Indiana PA. Tonight he was 8 for 12 from the field and 6 for 10 from the arc and scored 24 points, 19 in the first half. Tyus Battle who shot it in that first game as White was expected to, played well again with 6/11 , a couple of treys and 17 points. John Gillon had a good stretch in the second half and scored 14 points of 6 for 11. These guys are going to take turns being a hot hand.

Tyler Lydon isn't shooting well from outside - he's 0 for 8 from the arc in these games but because of White-Battle-Gillon, it hasn't mattered. instead he played inside against smaller defenders and was 8 for 11 there. He's also had 10 rebounds in each game. He figures to be the bets player on the team but doesn't have to be the "star". he can let the game come to him.

Frank Howard played much better than the first game, scoring 11 points on 5 for 10 shooting and having 7 assists to 1 turnover. Tyler Roberson had a quiet 9 points and 6 rebounds in 22 minutes. Taurean Thompson made all three of his shots but also had 3 turnovers. DaJuan Coleman was productive with 5 points and 4 rebounds in 14 minutes. Paschal Chukwu wasn't much of a factor against a team that was just bombing from outside, 39 of their 56 shots were threes). His teammates towered over the LeMoyne players nearly as much as he did. He did have 5 rebounds and a block in 16 minutes.

Our defense in the first half was poor as we let their best shooter, Tanner Highland, make 5 threes. The press didn't seem to do much. We clamped down in the second half. We out-rebounded them 43-28 as we should have. We had only 10 turnovers to their 15. We shot only 60% from the line, (12 for 20) That was a team effort as nobody missed more than two free throws.

Now it begins to get real.

Only two exhibition games to assess, but I wonder if we need to adjust our expectations of Tyler Lydon.

He is strong defensively and as a rebounder, and a very good shot-blocker. Capable inside scorer. He is a good passer for his size, and looks like he can be effective from the high post. And from the perimeter? Hmmm.

Only two exhibition games to assess, but I wonder if we need to adjust our expectations of Tyler Lydon.

He is strong defensively and as a rebounder, and a very good shot-blocker. Capable inside scorer. He is a good passer for his size, and looks like he can be effective from the high post. And from the perimeter? Hmmm.
He shot 40% from 3 last year.

He shot 40% from 3 last year.

Sure, and this year Lydon needs to hit one when the real games start and get going.
Last year he was starting inside, and drawing opposing centers out to the 3 point line. In our current starting line-up, Lydon is setting up outside -- and so far, he looks out of place trying to be a small forward. Some of that is the comparison to White and Battle.

Sure, and this year Lydon needs to hit one when the real games start and get going.
Last year he was starting inside, and drawing opposing centers out to the 3 point line. In our current starting line-up, Lydon is setting up outside -- and so far, he looks out of place trying to be a small forward. Some of that is the comparison to White and Battle.

Exhibition. Played bad last year in them as well.

You know who didnt? Kaleb Joseph.

These games mean squat.

He'll be fine. I actually think he plays better against bigger players which he hasn't gotten to do yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom