The whole season in a nutshell | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The whole season in a nutshell

In the pro's you better be able to read the defense, and make all the throws, something Jackson needs a lot of work on.

If it was my bet, he'll get there. He's got 1.5 more years of Petrino coaching. Kid seems to be overly committed to it from everything I've read.

To be as good as he is, as young as he is, it must be nice.

yup.. and he only has 1 more year.. i dont see him staying past next year
Really? I heard he just loves knowledge...I mean college.

two things, he will be under huge pressure to jump early , especially if he wins the Heisman , secondly his style is exposing him to a ton of hits. he wont dodge them all if he stays

Right now it's a dink and dunk offense combined with a quick strike defense.
View attachment 77864

SU's pace is generating more possessions per game but the offense is topping out at 5 score per, that has to improve significantly with this style of play and to score has for the most part has to do it with sustained drives.

The defense on the other had has given up a ridiculous number of long plays.

12 of 22 offensive TD's have been 24 yds or more in 5 games. A couple of other drives were 3 plays and covered 65 plus yds.

I expect things to improve on both offense and defense in these areas over the course of the season and significantly next year.

We have something like 9 of 22 (offense 2 deep) and 14 of 22 (defense 2 deep), respectively who are red shirt sophomore or younger. That is 23 of 44 total of more than half!

What is a reasonable expectation for a new staff installing new systems with that kind of youth?

We have something like 9 of 22 (offense 2 deep) and 14 of 22 (defense 2 deep), respectively who are red shirt sophomore or younger. That is 23 of 44 total of more than half!

What is a reasonable expectation for a new staff installing new systems with that kind of youth?

I have no expectation other than improvement. After the next three games we'll have a better idea where they are.

This game is their mid term. Total opposite style. Wake wants to run 50 times and stop the run. What if you don't care if you run the ball well?

I have no expectation other than improvement. After the next three games we'll have a better idea where they are.

This game is their mid term. Total opposite style. Wake wants to run 50 times and stop the run. What if you don't care if you run the ball well?
I think improvement is the only realistic expectation. More sustainable offense, especially in the second half is my yardstick. That could indicate adapting to opponents half-time adjustments.

if you have no running game and only 1 deep threat, and you thrive on getting rid of the ball quick, you wont get many deep throws. if we had 2 deep threats it would open the middle or a running game, but until then you take what you can get,

Jackson is in his 2nd year out of HS. Vick and McNabb both redshirted.

McNabb wasn't overly accurate his freshman year. But to this day, I'm not sure I've seen another QB dance out of trouble in the pocket and throw on the run the way he could.

Jackson and Vick had one thing that McNabb didn't, if they have a lane, they are gone. McNabb had some long runs, but not nearly at the speed of those 2.
I have to admit my most vivid memories of McNabb are as a senior, but I don't ever remember him missing the broadside of a barn the way I've seen Jackson do it a few times this year. Early in our game he had a guy at least 5 yards behind our defense on one play and he lobbed it out of bounds. I've seen him do that in every game I've watched of there's this year and the only one I've seen start to finish was ours.

He's physically gifted like few others, and that's enough to make him a great college QB.

two things, he will be under huge pressure to jump early , especially if he wins the Heisman , secondly his style is exposing him to a ton of hits. he wont dodge them all if he stays

He has to stay one more year right? By rule, 3 years out of HS?

That's why I said the rest of this year and all of next year he will only get better.

But yes, knowing next year is his last year no matter what, and knowing all that future $ is on the line, you'd think he will run much less.

He has to stay one more year right? By rule, 3 years out of HS?

That's why I said the rest of this year and all of next year he will only get better.

But yes, knowing next year is his last year no matter what, and knowing all that future $ is on the line, you'd think he will run much less.
Yeah, he has one more year. Unless his passing accuracy improves dramatically, I can't believe anyone in the NFL would seriously look at him at QB. I only know college RG3 from highlights. How does Jackson compare to him as a passer?

Yeah, he has one more year. Unless his passing accuracy improves dramatically, I can't believe anyone in the NFL would seriously look at him at QB. I only know college RG3 from highlights. How does Jackson compare to him as a passer?

Will have to wait a year. No one would have ever predicted McNabb as a #2 pick after 1997. But then he worked even harder on pocket passing in the offseason. 1998 his passing was so much improved and the rest is NFL history.

Barring injury, I'd safely pencil him in as a top 10 pick in 2018.

Just my opinion, but Vick and McNabb had NFL ready bodies. Jackson seems awful slight of build comparatively, which is probably why he is as lightning quick as he is. He'll need to bulk up to take an NFL beating. No way he's running like that on Sundays. He'll end up like RG3.

Just my opinion, but Vick and McNabb had NFL ready bodies. Jackson seems awful slight of build comparatively, which is probably why he is as lightning quick as he is. He'll need to bulk up to take an NFL beating. No way he's running like that on Sundays. He'll end up like RG3.
His size is pretty close to those two at the same stage. McNabb was about 205 as a RGR and grew to 230 as a senior. I think Vick was 210 as a RSoph. Jackson is listed around 205 now.

Will have to wait a year. No one would have ever predicted McNabb as a #2 pick after 1997. But then he worked even harder on pocket passing in the offseason. 1998 his passing was so much improved and the rest is NFL history.

Barring injury, I'd safely pencil him in as a top 10 pick in 2018.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't think he's as good a passer as McNabb or Vick at the same stage. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a high pick, just not as a QB.

I have to admit my most vivid memories of McNabb are as a senior, but I don't ever remember him missing the broadside of a barn the way I've seen Jackson do it a few times this year. Early in our game he had a guy at least 5 yards behind our defense on one play and he lobbed it out of bounds. I've seen him do that in every game I've watched of there's this year and the only one I've seen start to finish was ours.

He's physically gifted like few others, and that's enough to make him a great college QB.
McNabb threw at people's feet quite a bit early on

sufandu said:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't think he's as good a passer as McNabb or Vick at the same stage. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a high pick, just not as a QB.
Vick had a rocket for an arm but he wasn't very accurate either in college or in the NFL. That was always the knock on him. Oh, and dog fighting.

I don't know why success in the NFL or draft stock determines who is a better college QB. I like Jackson over Vick and McNabb in that debate.

McNabb threw at people's feet quite a bit early on
Yeah. That was at least in the vicinity. His freshman year he completed 62% of his passes and had a 162 qb rating in an offense that wasn't the most QB friendly. The former was his second best during his college career and the latter was the best. Maybe the Marvin Harrison factor? Regardless, I don't remember him missing wide open guys by yards the way Jackson has.

Vick had a rocket for an arm but he wasn't very accurate either in college or in the NFL. That was always the knock on him. Oh, and dog fighting.
I didn't say he was very accurate. I said I thought he was more accurate than Jackson.

I don't know why success in the NFL or draft stock determines who is a better college QB. I like Jackson over Vick and McNabb in that debate.
Someone mentioned him leaving early for the draft.

I think some people are looking at Jackson and forgetting the offense he plays in is much more QB numbers friendly than what Vick played in. Put 1999 Vick on this Louisville team and I think it looks the same.

Someone mentioned him leaving early for the draft.

I think some people are looking at Jackson and forgetting the offense he plays in is much more QB numbers friendly than what Vick played in. Put 1999 Vick on this Louisville team and I think it looks the same.

It's close. But this Jackson is very much in that discussion.

It's close. But this Jackson is very much in that discussion.
Never said he wasn't. Only said I thought Vick was better. I don't think that's an insult to Jackson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom