there are 2 sides to bad D | Syracusefan.com

there are 2 sides to bad D

upperdeck

Living Legend
there is bad scheme and there is being out athleted..

most of the pitt big plays were caused by guys just being better athletes and not because of confusion. there were some just because of the kids not positioning correctly but really when you throw a 5-10 yr slant and just run away from everyone thats not on the scheme.

Pitt had way more speed on offense, until we fix that no scheming is going to make that much difference.

We simply have to stop these jet sweeps and slant passes from blowing up like they did today. Some of it may be due to athleticism, but much of it is from being tentative and out of position. I'm not tempted to say "We're well coached but just not athletic enough on defense."

panthers had a 300+lb lineman (#70) outrunning our D down the sideline. MOST points EVER surrendered ! that was a pathetic effort period.

Unless they pull some rabbits out of their caps, there is not much D help coming for next year

Coley in secondary is best bet right now

Fagan adds LB depth and takes over for Franklin.

Other than that on D, not too much

Unless they pull some rabbits out of their caps, there is not much D help coming for next year

Since when is Franklin graduating?

Since when is Franklin graduating?
Depth and will take over for him when he graduates. He'll play will next year and slide to Mike the year after

Well Cordy and Clark didn't play today, so they will help some. I think Nelson will add a good pass rusher after a redshirt. Team needs a JUCCO Dt, and CB. The teams biggest weakness is finding a second corner IMO. The D just needs to be below average not terrible and they win 6-7 next year.

Tim Walton at LB and Nelson at End are redshirting. Both should help.

Don't sleep on Devon Clarke and James Pierre, both of those guys are in the fold next year. I don't expect a miracle, but the added legnth alone will change the back four in terms of capability.

In all seriousness though, if the mismatch in athleticism doesn't jump out at you, you need to find a new sport. And yes, there were some very bad coverage breakdowns. What do you expect? Pitt was throwing the kitchen sink at them, changing package, formation, shifting playside weakside multiple times pre-snap. They literally tied the d in a pretzel everytime before they even snapped the damn ball. But all that didn't matter...it hasn't mattered much all year. Your hands cant hit what your eyes can't see.

Don't sleep on Devon Clarke and James Pierre, both of those guys are in the fold next year. I don't expect a miracle, but the added legnth alone will change the back four in terms of capability.

In all seriousness though, if the mismatch in athleticism doesn't jump out at you, you need to find a new sport. And yes, there were some very bad coverage breakdowns. What do you expect? Pitt was throwing the kitchen sink at them, changing package, formation, shifting playside weakside multiple times pre-snap. They literally tied the d in a pretzel everytime before they even snapped the damn ball. But all that didn't matter...it hasn't mattered much all year. Your hands cant hit what your eyes can't see.

Are we sure Pierre is in? There was some confusion about his status.

Not having Cordy's a big deal, and though he's not a big rusher himself Clark definitely frees up other speedier pass rushers to pursue the QB.

Are we sure Pierre is in? There was some confusion about his status.
No idea what it means but James Pierre is still in the Student Directory.
Pure (and hopeful) speculation on my part. But wiser men say, if it looks like an academic redshirt and quacks like an academic redshirt then it must...you get the picture. Can't help but chuckle that this hasn't been asked in a presser. Bailey has wasted his lone doghouse question on Dungey every week.

I think the offseason S&C and general player improvement will make a big difference.

We're not adding much in the way of immediate impact probably, but we're also not replacing a lot of the depth chart.

I think the DBs coming in are more talented and athletic than most of the kids we had playing last year in Stringer, Melifonwu , and Coley

I think the DBs coming in are more talented and athletic than most of the kids we had playing last year in Stringer, Melifonwu , and Coley

Wouldn't surprise me if it changed but didn't Stritz choose Syracuse because he was being looked at as a RB? I mean he seems like a really good CB to me and we could use him more at the position though.

Not having Cordy's a big deal, and though he's not a big rusher himself Clark definitely frees up other speedier pass rushers to pursue the QB.
His real job is to eat up two gaps, plug the middle on running downs, keep the guards from getting to the second level, and collapsing the pocket. That being said, he gets into a QBs face a few times a game.

His real job is to eat up two gaps, plug the middle on running downs, keep the guards from getting to the second level, and collapsing the pocket. That being said, he gets into a QBs face a few times a game.
I think his ability to do exactly that, while being able to occasionally get in the QB's face, helps everyone around him. Dlinemen that can hold their own and plug the holes against the run allow our more natural pass rushers to be more aggressive.

I think his ability to do exactly that, while being able to occasionally get in the QB's face, helps everyone around him. Dlinemen that can hold their own and plug the holes against the run allow our more natural pass rushers to be more aggressive.
Agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom