There is a simple solution to the cramping charade. | Syracusefan.com

There is a simple solution to the cramping charade.

JoeSU

All American
The rule needs to be modified so that if play is stopped for an injury, the player cannot enter the game for the remainder of that possession (not just 1 play). This also protects the player from being rushed back onto the field before being adequately evaluated (especially with head injuries). It is not a remarkable coincidence that every one of Louisville's "cramps" (at least that I can remember) occurred on defense when SU had mounted a drive.

Oh and by the way, a player losing a shoe is not an injury nor is it a valid reason to stop play. The player either plays with 1 shoe, or a sub is sent in. That's like stopping play to tuck in a player's shoulder pads.

Last edited:
The rule need to be modified so that if play is stopped for an injury, the player cannot enter the game for the remainder of that possession (not just 1 play). This also protects the player from being rushed back onto the field before being adequately evaluated (especially with head injuries). It is not a remarkable coincidence that every one of Louisville's "cramps" (at least that I can remember) occurred on defense when SU had mounted a drive.

Oh and by the way, a player losing a shoe is not an injury nor is it a valid reason to stop play. The player either plays with 1 shoe, or a sub is sent in. That's like stopping play to tuck in a player's shoulder pads.

I'm not sure that you'll be able to build a lot of support for that argument, unfortunately. The first question people will ask is what if it's a real injury? Players/coaches might be hesitant to sub out because of the rule and potentially worsen the condition. I don't know what the solution is. I suppose the only real solution would be more ACC teams switching to up-tempo offenses, like what happened in the Big 12. I mentioned below in the cramping thread that perhaps an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty could be given for those cases where a player exits the game with an injury only to re-enter seemingly recovered a play later. But how do you enforce that? It's another thing for the refs to monitor. I'm not sure how that would work.

supp said:
I'm not sure that you'll be able to build a lot of support for that argument, unfortunately. The first question people will ask is what if it's a real injury? Players/coaches might be hesitant to sub out because of the rule and potentially worsen the condition. I don't know what the solution is. I suppose the only real solution would be more ACC teams switching to up-tempo offenses, like what happened in the Big 12. I mentioned below in the cramping thread that perhaps an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty could be given for those cases where a player exits the game with an injury only to re-enter seemingly recovered a play later. But how do you enforce that? It's another thing for the refs to monitor. I'm not sure how that would work.

If it's a real cramp they won't be playing. If it's something else - players know. So many stay in the game with "minor" stuff anyways (sometimes it's not).

If play is stopped for a real injury, that player isn't coming bac in right away regardless.

If it's a real cramp they won't be playing. If it's something else - players know. So many stay in the game with "minor" stuff anyways (sometimes it's not).

I think "player safety" arguments will always win out, no matter how disingenuous their proponents might be in this case. I know a safety argument could be made for JoeSU's proposal but the other side will claim that it will only encourage players to hide their injuries.

If play is stopped for a real injury, that player isn't coming bac in right away regardless.

Yes, I know. They have to sit out a play. Maybe the only way to make it stop is to make them pay for the substitution. They were able to do that against Colgate. Not so much against Louisville.

the best solution is probably shame. that fat idiot squirting water on himself should be on our commercials

I thought it was unbelievably weak of UL to fake all the injuries. I'm thinking these guys must lack serious confidence in their defense if up 3 TDs they are still faking injuries when we get a couple first downs. That must be humiliating for their players if they have any pride at all.

I know I will be in the minority here, but I didn't think L'ville was faking those last night. I mean why would they have had too? They were up by so much so early on, what reason was there for them to fake it?

I am the first to admit I think the worst in people more times than not (lol)...but to me the couple of times guys cramped up it didn't seem like faking. The times it happened if you looked at the scoreboard there was no reason to fake it. Not to mention, all of us who were there are all saying how hot it was last night and it was a sauna in there. So its understandable that 3 or 4 guys cramped up. I don't know, to me it didn't seem that bad and I really wish the fans wouldn't boo injured players as we really don't know if its real or faking.

I know I will be in the minority here, but I didn't think L'ville was faking those last night. I mean why would they have had too? They were up by so much so early on, what reason was there for them to fake it?

I am the first to admit I think the worst in people more times than not (lol)...but to me the couple of times guys cramped up it didn't seem like faking. The times it happened if you looked at the scoreboard there was no reason to fake it. Not to mention, all of us who were there are all saying how hot it was last night and it was a sauna in there. So its understandable that 3 or 4 guys cramped up. I don't know, to me it didn't seem that bad and I really wish the fans wouldn't boo injured players as we really don't know if its real or faking.
Well, there was the guy that faked a cramp because his shoe was falling off.

So... benefit of the doubt, I ain't giving it.

I think a couple may have been crams but I'm with you. There is no way they had that many cramps at those times in the game and only on Defense. Ridiculous. Our offense is played fast and within the rules and fake injuries is just garbage. How can you tell your players to do that? Obviously they said hey pretend to grab at a cramp in your hammy. Seriously none were calves either right?

Stern said:
I know I will be in the minority here, but I didn't think L'ville was faking those last night. I mean why would they have had too? They were up by so much so early on, what reason was there for them to fake it? I am the first to admit I think the worst in people more times than not (lol)...but to me the couple of times guys cramped up it didn't seem like faking. The times it happened if you looked at the scoreboard there was no reason to fake it. Not to mention, all of us who were there are all saying how hot it was last night and it was a sauna in there. So its understandable that 3 or 4 guys cramped up. I don't know, to me it didn't seem that bad and I really wish the fans wouldn't boo injured players as we really don't know if its real or faking.

Yea, you're in the minority. It wasn't a couple times, it was 4-5 all when we had the ball driving. Not their offensive players, not the SU players. Lville defensive players while we were moving down field. One was a shoe, one guy poured water on his hammy, LOL, and the first guy was having a good old time dancing on the sidelines after he came out. Yea, they were faked. They were part of the game plan. I don't feel bad one bit booing that scam.

I thought it was unbelievably weak of UL to fake all the injuries. I'm thinking these guys must lack serious confidence in their defense if up 3 TDs they are still faking injuries when we get a couple first downs. That must be humiliating for their players if they have any pride at all.
i got yelled after a freshman year jv soccer game for not milking a sprained ankle more than i did when we were losing and everyone was tired. still bothers me but i'm proud of myself for ignoring the guy

I actually think he faked a couple injuries there. IIRC, he grabbed hammy first then ankle, then just rolled around flailing.

Yea, you're in the minority. It wasn't a couple times, it was 4-5 all when we had the ball driving. Not their offensive players, not the SU players. Lville defensive players while we were moving down field. One was a shoe, one guy poured water on his hammy, LOL, and the first guy was having a good old time dancing on the sidelines after he came out. Yea, they were faked. They were part of the game plan. I don't feel bad one bit booing that scam.
I gotta feeling we're going to see it a lot. Totally disrupted us.

I gotta feeling we're going to see it a lot. Totally disrupted us.
we need to agree on a chant. it doesn't take that many of us to get it going.

needs to start immediately. sure we'll be jumping the gun when someone has a broken femur but i'm ok with that

Heh that was great. I wondered if I was the only one that saw it.
if a large man in tight white pants is squirting water at his hindquarters, you can rest assured that chip not only saw it but burned it into his spank bank for the rest of his life

I may have been the only one fortunate enough (?) to have to listen to part of the game on the Cardinal radio network. The Louisville announcers were very clear that they knew some faking was going on and went so far as to say "I hope no one sees him smiling on the sideline" after one of the "hurt" players left the field. The other announcer then stated "Well that may be the only way to slow them down" They did it intentionally and were probably instructed to by Petrino.

cuseincincy said:
I may have been the only one fortunate enough (?) to have to listen to part of the game on the Cardinal radio network. The Louisville announcers were very clear that they knew some faking was going on and went so far as to say "I hope no one sees him smiling on the sideline" after one of the "hurt" players left the field. The other announcer then stated "Well that may be the only way to slow them down" They did it intentionally and were probably instructed to by Petrino.

I saw the one guy smiling if it was the same one. And no doubt Petrino instructed them to fake it.

There should def be some kind of penalty. It's the same cheap stuff that makes soccer and basketball lame at times (flopping).