"There's no goat cheese and garlic here ..." | Syracusefan.com

"There's no goat cheese and garlic here ..."

WoadBlue

Starter
An article on another part of the Southern college sports scene: Waffle House

And not just college. By the 1960s, Waffle Houses were in many Tennessee towns, and they would be filled after Friday night HS football games and Tuesday and Friday might HS basketball games. An uncle of mine who was an Air Force officer who retired to his wife's hometown after two 13 months tours flying the wounded off Vietnamese battlefields made the Waffle House a staple on high school game days. That's where he became a true local. The last public place he would go, lugging the oxygen tank as slowly died of emphysema, was to Waffle House, where the talk always got around to college and high school sports.

I don't see Waffle House making it in Boston, but blue-collar Syracuse is the perfect town to become the northern-most outpost

And not just college. By the 1960s, Waffle Houses were in many Tennessee towns, and they would be filled after Friday night HS football games and Tuesday and Friday might HS basketball games. An uncle of mine who was an Air Force officer who retired to his wife's hometown after two 13 months tours flying the wounded off Vietnamese battlefields made the Waffle House a staple on high school game days. That's where he became a true local. The last public place he would go, lugging the oxygen tank as slowly died of emphysema, was to Waffle House, where the talk always got around to college and high school sports.

I don't see Waffle House making it in Boston, but blue-collar Syracuse is the perfect town to become the northern-most outpost

Diners > Waffle House.

There was a chain of waffle places (can't remember if it was a Waffle House franchise) in the 90s that failed pretty quickly. Also, there are no longer any IHOPs in Syracuse. Not sure if it's the diner culture or what, but people don't seem to support franchised all day breakfast in CNY.

Yes, Syracuse has a lot of strong mom and pop type diners that would make it hard for any low grade chain like this to make it here.

Jim Gaffigan has an interesting take on Waffle House; made me want to try one on my first ACC road trip. Don't think I will be returning there.

Surprised he wasn't sued for it.

When I want cigarette ashes in my eggs and end of the road waitresses, Waffle House is my go to place. Sometimes you just have to have it.
Nothing better than those ashes in my grits. Anytime I'm visiting a town with one I just have to get some grits, call me crazy

I read that article and I'm like, "You really have a problem with garlic?" Also, I went to a Waffle House for the first time a year ago in Florida. It was nothing special.

There's a sign for a Waffle House just north of Scranton on 81. Haven't been to one since I moved from Atlanta. I'm fine if I don't go there again.

Ahh, a C-123 pilot. Aircraft was originally a glider that they added two pr5opeller-driven engines to. Good in Vietnam because it was good on the short, uneven runways that were at Special Forces camps. These planes did a lot of the defoliant (e.g., Agent Orange) spraying too.

Waffle Houses are, as Bayside points out, the Southern equivalent of a diner. But they are all the same. Diners on the other hand are all slightly different.

But the food at diners is much better than the limited menu at a Waffle House. I have frequented NJ diners that had 75 things on the menu. All of which were made at the diner and all of which were served almost immediately in portions that lumberjacks would be unable to finish.

Any moron can cook a waffle or fry an egg. But diner food includes everything from roast turkey dinners to short ribs to outrageous homemade pies.

If you want to experience something even worse than the Awful House, go to a Huddle House.

Didn't tiger woods pick up a bunch of waitresses from waffle houses?

How will that steroid user get laid now??

A729633D-CFF8-4714-AF7D-DF4B89DCF15C.jpeg
There was a chain of waffle places (can't remember if it was a Waffle House franchise) in the 90s that failed pretty quickly. Also, there are no longer any IHOPs in Syracuse. Not sure if it's the diner culture or what, but people don't seem to support franchised all day breakfast in CNY.
It was called waffle works. I remember one on bridge st and one in skaneateles of all places.

Here’s the one in North Syracuse.

Last edited:
Waffle House is the worst food known to man.

I've bought into a lot of southern culture and food but WH will never win me over.

I can cook eggs, pour grease over them, crush up a cigarette and dump some trash into an omelet at my house just the same.

Diners > Waffle House.

Diners in Syracuse mostly suck compared to New Jersey. Not even close.

And New York delis? Man, I miss those the most. You can't get a decent breakfast sandwich anywhere in Syracuse.

Denny's is still around. They're not bad, but kind of expensive for breakfast.

I read that article and I'm like, "You really have a problem with garlic?" Also, I went to a Waffle House for the first time a year ago in Florida. It was nothing special.

First time I went to Atlanta, it was for a conference. We were staying 0ut in Buckhead, or maybe north of there (in Alpharetta?), at a nice hotel. Took our rental car and had to go a Kinko's to get press kits printed.

Being unfamiliar with the area (and this was in pre-GPS days in the mid-90s), as we were leaving the hotel, I said, "OK, to find our way back here, let's remember that we got on to Peach Tree at the Waffle House."

Oh, boy. There must be a couple dozen different "Peach Tree" ave or street or parkways, and there were probably half a dozen Waffle Houses just between our hotel and the Kinko's. We got hopelessly lost, but had a good laugh about it.

Diners in Syracuse mostly suck compared to New Jersey. Not even close.

And New York delis? Man, I miss those the most. You can't get a decent breakfast sandwich anywhere in Syracuse.
You want a decent breakfast sandwich my friend, Mama NANCY's over by 690 off State fair Boulevard

Try Stella's. I always get the breakfast sandwich there

Stella's is OK, but those Hispanic guys working at NYC corner delis can make an outstanding breakfast sandwich almost every time.

My go-to order used to be "Two scrambled eggs with sweet peppers on a buttered onion roll." Nobody can match that up here, made for you in like 3 minutes flat to go.

With "Dark" coffee - not black, not light. People don't even know what the hell "dark" coffee is up here. It's brown colored, with just a bit of cream. Morons.