"There's no goat cheese and garlic here ..." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"There's no goat cheese and garlic here ..."

i seem to recall both waffle house and ihop being around. it's not a cultural thing. lousy food puts you out of business. that being said my friends from the south have sold me on fried chicken and waffles. a combo not readily available in the north country even with the military influx. someone could make a killing with the right recipe.

I like Denny's. Always enjoy the drink selection you can get like a Vanilla Blueberry pineapple cherry Coke... which is cool for us Canadians because we don't get cool things like that fast food wise lol.

An article on another part of the Southern college sports scene: Waffle House

And not just college. By the 1960s, Waffle Houses were in many Tennessee towns, and they would be filled after Friday night HS football games and Tuesday and Friday might HS basketball games. An uncle of mine who was an Air Force officer who retired to his wife's hometown after two 13 months tours flying the wounded off Vietnamese battlefields made the Waffle House a staple on high school game days. That's where he became a true local. The last public place he would go, lugging the oxygen tank as slowly died of emphysema, was to Waffle House, where the talk always got around to college and high school sports.

I don't see Waffle House making it in Boston, but blue-collar Syracuse is the perfect town to become the northern-most outpost
Already tried and died. Just like Hardee's.

Stella's is OK, but those Hispanic guys working at NYC corner delis can make an outstanding breakfast sandwich almost every time.

My go-to order used to be "Two scrambled eggs with sweet peppers on a buttered onion roll." Nobody can match that up here, made for you in like 3 minutes flat to go.

With "Dark" coffee - not black, not light. People don't even know what the hell "dark" coffee is up here. It's brown colored, with just a bit of cream. Morons.
Love a good mid-town bacon, egg and cheese on a hard roll.

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm not ashamed to admit that Taco Bell's steak breakfast crunch wrap is way, way better than it should be.

Huddle House, already mentioned here, looks like it is on its last greasy gasp. They have not updated their interiors since the seventies.

Awful House is a place where I would actually meet interesting people. Or they seemed interesting. We were all drunk.

Denny's strikes me as a place frequented by golfers and Floridians.

I have no time for the rest. Any place that doesn't have a 15-30 minute wait on a weekend morning isn't worth my time. If we ever play UVA in Charlottesville again go to the Blue Ridge Bakery with the rest of the tragically hip and you'll get the best breakfast of your life. Minimum wait time 30 minutes.

No Cracker Barrel in Syracuse? At first that seemed odd. The food is fine and it doesn't feel like a chain restaurant.

But the again maybe there's no market for all that merchandise (crap) that half the floor space is dedicated to like wind chimes made out of beer cans and velvet portraits of Elvis and tea towels with homey sayings embroidered on them.

I think they make you wait for tables or at the cashier in the hope that your spouse or will wander around and find a miniature model of Mt Rushmore or a Kitty Wells CD they can't live without.

I have a friend who is going to visit from France in a few weeks. I think I'll find a Cracker Barrel and explain to him that THIS is what the non-Coastal, non-Elite, middle of the US looks like.
I hate Crapper Barrel with a passion. But guess who loves it?

Yes, Syracuse has a lot of strong mom and pop type diners that would make it hard for any low grade chain like this to make it here.

Jim Gaffigan has an interesting take on Waffle House; made me want to try one on my first ACC road trip. Don't think I will be returning there.

Surprised he wasn't sued for it.

Almost impossible to sue comedians...God I love him.

This thread makes me sad...miss NYC. Also Cracker Barrel has good food? Really, Townie? What next...cheesecake factory?

As a new englander, asked for real maple syrup at a waffle house in Florida. The waitress, manager, had no idea what we were talking about. Syrup from trees? They said syrup came from the bucket, not trees... They had no idea.

Should you care. Native Americans found that chewing on maple saplings would keep them healthy through the long winter. They found, in late Feb., they could get more sap from the trees, and if they boiled it down, they could continue to stay healty 'til spring... (and it was delicious)

There are 2 climates in the world, that allow Maple trees to do this... I don't care for it, but I love the history, so I boil down 10-15 gallons of sap(a gallon of syrup) a year, for my kids.. Hate the pretentious stuff, but seriously... Not having real syrup in New England(never been to a place that didn't), is just slitting your throat... Or like having microwave BBQ in Texas...

This thread makes me sad...miss NYC. Also Cracker Barrel has good food? Really, Townie? What next...cheesecake factory?

Don't kill me, but the Firecracker Salmon rolls at Cheesecake Factory are really, really good.

Personally I like Julie's in N. Syr. They have the best waffle I've ever had in my life, their sausage and biscuits is phenomenal, and their breakfast sandwich isn't bad in my book either.

There's a sign for a Waffle House just north of Scranton on 81. Haven't been to one since I moved from Atlanta. I'm fine if I don't go there again.

I live in Clarks Summit, and pass that Waffle House at least once a day. It’s right by the road, and I’ve literally never seen a customer in it.

The Cheesecake Factory has a great club sandwich, plus, you know, cheesecake.

Personally I like Julie's in N. Syr. They have the best waffle I've ever had in my life, their sausage and biscuits is phenomenal, and their breakfast sandwich isn't bad in my book either.
Julie's is solid, honestly if I'm looking for a diner around Cuse though, it's Stella's or bust.

The Cheesecake Factory has a great club sandwich, plus, you know, cheesecake.
I took my Mom (who made the best cheesecake in the history of man) to the Cheesecake Factory when she was almost 80. Bubbly waitress stops by to ask how she enjoyed her cheesecake. Not very good she says.

Julie's is solid, honestly if I'm looking for a diner around Cuse though, it's Stella's or bust.
Honestly I'm extremely happy with Julie's, Stella's, or Mother's Cupboard if we're being completely honest. Stella's doesn't have any signature item like Julie's Waffle or Mother's Frittata but everything on their menu is solid.