These games on a boat need to stop | Syracusefan.com

These games on a boat need to stop

Marsh01

Living Legend
It was cool at first but now its getting ridiculous. Hard to judge this team when the sun is blazing and the wind is howling.

Lets get this W and get the hell back the the Cuse.

If MCW's is going to get three fouls to start the half CJ picks up his third and San Diego state is in the bonus 3 minutes into the half while fair gets mugged on his layup I agree. What.

Completely agree. Playing an exhibition is one thing. But playing a top 20 matchup outdoors with the sun and wind just isn't right. Bring it inside to a gym.

It was cool at first but now its getting ridiculous. Hard to judge this team when the sun is blazing and the wind is howling.

Lets get this W and get the hell back the the Cuse.

It's one game out of 30 something, bfd.

The intent is in the right place and it's a one time experience for the team.

People really need to lighten up.

Tell that to a bubble team sitting on 19 wins on Selection Sunday

This is like a bubble. Everyone got on the aircraft carrier bandwagon after last year's game, but I think the novelty has already worn off.

Now, it's off to games inside shopping malls or some other such nonsense.

Hey, at least they didn't try it in a submarine...

We really don't play that many quality (read top 25) non-conference opponents, it would be nice if when we did it was a real matchup where the teams could play their respective styles of ball and not some modified street ball where noone could hit a shot from outside of 8 feet due to the glare and the cross winds.

Coud not agree more.Seemed like a good idea last year,different experience for the college kids and great idea to do somethin for the military.Maybe more games like uconn mich st at foreign bases indoors,buthe ships are just not safe with the weather and the streetball types of games.

The game sucked. I was hoping for a basketball game. Dying is a one time thing and I'm not looking forward to that either. Show them the carrier. Walk them through it and give them the history. Then go to a base and play a game of basketball, D1 style, not some ridiculous exhibition of how bright sun in your eyes and gusting winds can make the game stink so badly.

We really don't play that many quality (read top 25) non-conference opponents, it would be nice if when we did it was a real matchup where the teams could play their respective styles of ball and not some modified street ball where noone could hit a shot from outside of 8 feet due to the glare and the cross winds.

It's one game of basketball in mid November, it just doesn't matter.

Terrible. Bad game for both teams b/c of the elements. Enough on the carrier thing. Announcers continually were saying essentially the same thing. OK for an exhibition ... I absoutely agree. But to pit two quality teams for a regular season outcome against each other in that environment really took away from the game. Yes, both will go to the NCAA's but, as previously said, put a team in there that may have needed a quality win for the tourny and see what happens in March. Sorry. Let's end this.I really did not enjoy that game.

Man, I love the Boat game and hope they do it every year.

They should start the game at dusk and into the night however and eliminate the sun as an issue.

They should start the game at dusk and into the night however and eliminate the sun as an issue.
No! This game sucked and we should never, ever do this again.

Why not play with a women's ball? A deflated ball? No refs? Six men?

Fact is, it doesn't matter if the season consists of 11 games or 162 games. If the game is worth playing, it's worth playing right.

I like this idea. We could use a florescent ball with a sounding device on it since any lights would be prohibited. Give both teams with a sixth man on court equipped with a paint ball gun. If the shooter hits the ball and it goes in you get 4 and 1/2 points for your team. If the shooter hits an opponent in the side of the head that player has to stand still for 7.35 seconds. Imagine the novelty and once in a lifetime event this could be. The possibilities seem endless. Oh and we would still call it basketball.

Growing up I played something called barnball. If you weren't bleeding (badly) and no bones were protruding there was no foul. Those were the actual rules. You learned to adjust to getting hit while shooting. It actually benefited me later while playing high school and college ball. It may also be the reason for my sometimes skewed mentality.

Matters to me. As much as I argue that our schedule is fine the way that JB designs it; when we do play a top opponent I would like to see it done as a real game. If you want to play Colgate, Wagner, Alcorn State or Central Connecticut State in a game of street ball on a ship, or introduce weird rules where you can't shoot from outside the paint or shine spot lights in the eyes of the shooters when they try to zero in on the hoop have at it. But when we finally have a game against a top notch opponent it would be nice if it seemed like we beat them in a real basketball game. Not something that seemed like it should have been broadcast on MTV with MC Hammer and Dan Cortese acting as celebrity coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom