They're getting better, right? | Syracusefan.com

They're getting better, right?

supp

Hall of Fame
We've haven't seen improvement over the course of the season in a while, so it's hard to tell. But they're rebounding better, the defense up top has tightened, the interior d at least seems to not be as big a concern since our big guys are scoring more themselves, they're not giving up many if any easy buckets in transition, and the team three point shooting is generally trending upwards. All positive signs.

But maybe I'm being hasty. February is around the corner and that's when we usually find out the true mettle of JB-coached teams.

...But they're rebounding better, the defense up top has tightened, the interior d at least seems to not be as big a concern since our big guys are scoring more themselves, they're not giving up many if any easy buckets in transition, and the team three point shooting is generally trending upwards. All positive signs.

Can't say a lot from this game, against a second tier opponent. Game could have gone either way, but we made enough plays in the final 4 minutes to eke out a win.

Still, I will say our 3 perimeter guys (G, Cooney, Richardson) are playing well together, probing for openings, and doing a good job in driving the ball. They can present match-up problems against teams with smaller guards. We aren't great inside -- barely good enough if the 3 inside guys avoid foul trouble. Lydon does seem to be improving, and Coleman had some good finishes today.
Will help if Howard continues to give the extra lift he provided today.

Lydon and Richardson are getting better and have more confidence.

Roberson is showing signs, a little on/off - but seems to a + player.

G and Cooney do what they do.

Boeheim has pulled us back from the brink and we just won a game we would have lost in December. Yes! We are getting better.

This is not one of our better teams, for sure. Still, I love them.

Yes. This is the kind of team that, if it makes it into the tourney, could put a real scare into a top seed in the round of 32.

Lydon and Richardson are getting better and have more confidence.

Roberson is showing signs, a little on/off - but seems to a + player.

G and Cooney do what they do.

He is still passing up way too many open looks, he has to start taking them.

We've haven't seen improvement over the course of the season in a while, so it's hard to tell. But they're rebounding better, the defense up top has tightened, the interior d at least seems to not be as big a concern since our big guys are scoring more themselves, they're not giving up many if any easy buckets in transition, and the team three point shooting is generally trending upwards. All positive signs.

But maybe I'm being hasty. February is around the corner and that's when we usually find out the true mettle of JB-coached teams.

they are getting better, but today was not a good example of that...

Yes they are getting better. Just how "bad" this SU team is historically is still up for debate. However, credit must be given for the grit and determination shown by the team to turn things around in the midst of ACC season! A bad team wouldn't do this. That said, they did look a bit lackadaisical at times today. More pedal to the metal needed.

supp said:

I think we got better in 2013. Is three years that long a time?

Yes they are getting better. Just how "bad" this SU team is historically is still up for debate. However, credit must be given for the grit and determination shown by the team to turn things around in the midst of ACC season! A bad team wouldn't do this. That said, they did look a bit lackadaisical at times today. More pedal to the metal needed.
They were flat and tired today. According to Boeheim, they shouldn't be tired. But according to the ACC schedule, it's "ridiculous" that they wouldn't be tired! Ah, Conundrum. How you play with us!

Really proud of this team. All record and scores aside they are tougher then some teams with better records.

Really we beat wake at wake by 30 and should have. Beat BC by 20 plus and should have. Went to Duke and won by shooting well. Beat ND at home by 16 and should have. And toughed it out against GT at home despite no homecourt advantage and missing the front end of two one and ones with 3 minutes to go.

The ball movement is something that is really beginning to impress me it outrumps the lack of bench.
2-3 game stretches don't define teams, 5-6 game stretches do. And this team is settled.

This game left me with two more afterthoughts. One, while alot of people will say we played bad today, I disagree. I feel we were up by 5-6 on more then a half dozen occasions and just had bad luck extending the lead. That is the definition of a trap game.
And 2, our outside shots were hitting way to much back rim tonight.
Great Job!
Go Cuse!!

Last edited:
they are getting better, but today was not a good example of that...

How not? We started ACC play 0-4 while losing a couple we could have easily won. Now we are 5-5. Every team in the league, including UNC, has these kinds of games. Winning a game like today showed a lot. This was a game that we could have easily lost. However, instead of losing they won an ugly game. That's what winning teams do. That's what I see us becoming... a winning team that will continue to get better.

How not? We started ACC play 0-4 while losing a couple we could have easily won. Now we are 5-5. Every team in the league, including UNC, has these kinds of games. Winning a game like today showed a lot. This was a game that we could have easily lost. However, instead of losing they won an ugly game. That's what winning teams do. That's what I see us becoming... a winning team that will continue to get better.
I really like that last sentence.

Let's Go Orange!!!

We are on an upward trajectory and are perhaps the one team in America which can improve the most by seasons end. Teams will not want to see us in their bracket.

I don't think this was ever a "bad team" it just wasn't coached by Jim Boeheim for nine games.

The pre and post-suspension results are consistent with a Top 25 team.

Last edited:
We just have to make the tournament. We make it, watch out. This team has not hit its peak yet. If this team makes the tourney, it's all gravy. But this IS A TOURNEY talented team

It's getting better all the time
I used to get mad at my school
The teacher's that taught me weren't cool
You're holding me down
Filling me up with your rules

I've got to admit it's getting better
A little better all the time
I have to admit it's getting better
It's getting better since you've been mine

Me used to be angry young man
Me hiding me head in the sand
You gave me the word
I finally heard
I'm doing the best that I can

I've got to admit it's getting better
I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept apart from the things that she loved
Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene
And I'm doing the best that I can

I admit it's getting better
A little better all the time
Yes I admit it's getting better
It's getting better since you've been mine

My observation: yes we are getting better.

1. The defense looks a lot better than a month ago.
2. The rebounding is better.
3. Tonight was a big game. Cooney was very off, Mali had a very poor first 30 minutes, Mike G was ok but not great. Yet we won because Coleman and Frank Howard put in really solid performances and Mali took over the game at the end. If winning an ACC game hinged on Frankie and DC and they came through, then yes that is major improvement.
4. Frankie continues to have some growing pains, but who can question how he seems to fuel the offense in very effective ways? His play has allowed significantly more rest for Cooney (still not a ton, but some), this could be a big factor in the coming weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom