They're getting better, right? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

They're getting better, right?

Gbinije had 16 on 5-10 shooting, was 4-5 from the line with three assists and three steals. I would have to give him player of the game still.

Yes I should correct my post. I didn't realize he had such an effective game until I looked at the box score. He was very good. Still, I love the flow when Frankie is running the point and if that continues we'll be in much better shape in late Feb because he can buy a few minutes rest for TC and MG.

here's a real question: did Hop take good notes while watching Jimmy improve performance?
He probably has a notebook or two, but remember to enjoy Jimmy while he's here. :)

Last edited:
Really proud of this team. All record and scores aside they are tougher then some teams with better records.

Really we beat wake at wake by 30 and should have. Beat BC by 20 plus and should have. Went to Duke and won by shooting well. Beat ND at home by 16 and should have. And toughed it out against GT at home despite no homecourt advantage and missing the front end of two one and ones with 3 minutes to go.

The ball movement is something that is really beginning to impress me it outrumps the lack of bench.
2-3 game stretches don't define teams, 5-6 game stretches do. And this team is settled.

This game left me with two more afterthoughts. One, while alot of people will say we played bad today, I disagree. I feel we were up by 5-6 on more then a half dozen occasions and just had bad luck extending the lead. That is the definition of a trap game.
And 2, our outside shots were hitting way to much back rim tonight.
Great Job!
Go Cuse!!
I like the part about no home court advantage, teams come to the dome and it's like practice, crowd only gets involved when we are down. I mean it makes a difference

It should be glaringly obvious to anyone who watched this team vs. St. John's and GTown that they are playing so much better.

This team has beaten 4 tournament teams (assuming UConn gets in), and all those came with JB on the bench.

Boeheim has pulled us back from the brink and we just won a game we would have lost in December. Yes! We are getting better.

This is not one of our better teams, for sure. Still, I love them.

After so many seasons where we seemed to peak too soon, the JB suspension may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Playing the best defense of the season - better than the Bahamas - and finding a plan to diversify the offense could lead for an interesting couple of months.

I think Coleman has improved and I credit JB for that. He held him out a bit and allowed him to gradually get back in the game, something that frustrated me in the beginning, but now I give him credit.

Keep in mind while JB was suspended, Hop was running the show rather than focusing on his positional responsibility with the bigs. Can debate who gets credit for what but the fact of the matter is we went over a month with one fewer coach at practice.

After so many seasons where we seemed to peak too soon, the JB suspension may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Playing the best defense of the season - better than the Bahamas - and finding a plan to diversify the offense could lead for an interesting couple of months.

I am vaguely recalling we used to have a "February swoon." I am hoping we go against form this year. But we can't forget that all of us saw at the beginning of the season that our schedule was front-loaded - unlike other years - and so therefore our winning at this time is something that we should be doing. It's just that we didn't imagine our flame out during Boeheim's absence would be so severe.

I still don't understand why we lost that Wisconsin game, and can't help but think that Coach and maybe the players knew something was up. The way we nailed things down in the Ga Tech game is something we had come to expect, and the atypical ineptitude at the end of the Wisconsin game was shocking. The next day, Boeheim is gone.

I am vaguely recalling we used to have a "February swoon." I am hoping we go against form this year. But we can't forget that all of us saw at the beginning of the season that our schedule was front-loaded - unlike other years - and so therefore our winning at this time is something that we should be doing. It's just that we didn't imagine our flame out during Boeheim's absence would be so severe.

I still don't understand why we lost that Wisconsin game, and can't help but think that Coach and maybe the players knew something was up. The way we nailed things down in the Ga Tech game is something we had come to expect, and the atypical ineptitude at the end of the Wisconsin game was shocking. The next day, Boeheim is gone.
I think the so called Feb swoon's corresponded with brutal Big East matchups.

I, too, think the Wisky game had something going on. I hope we find out exactly when JB/SU found out about the accelerated date of suspension. To me, it looks like it was before the Wisky game and it affected it. It seemed to me JB made an uncharacteristic attempt to force feed KJ2 minutes.

100% improved. JB has figured out how to use his players and they are responding.
Maybe we should focus on what Jimmy did and observed during that 9 game suspension rather than what Hop didn't do. Instead of being right on top of everything and being in game time decisions, Jimmy had to sit back and painfully watch what a short bench team could do and not do against competitive teams and at the start of ACC season. In short he had an opportunity to observe "the whole body of work" versus the last time down the floor. About the only thing I did see Hop use to our advantage was some spot minutes with Chino that Jimmy has not built much on. JB is HOF coach and given 9 whole games to watch his team perform without being their on-floor coach, will result in a much stronger team for the balance of the season. Lookout Pitt, Louisville and UNC, there may be some surprises coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom