Things i'm hearing... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Things i'm hearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
haven't heard this, but i do know that Red was described to me as "JW's guy"...so maybe the implication was JB differed with him on that?

JAB - John, here’s my pick for next HC.
/ hands JW a piece of paper with “Gerry” written on it.
JW - thanks Jim. We will take that under advisement.
/ after JAB leaves, JW crumbles up paper and throws it in trash can with a hoop on it - swish!

/ fin.

I also considered - “crumples it up and dunks it into garbage can right in front of J-Bone”
but I don’t think JW would be that cold.

It's funny, I was passionately aboard the "conduct a national search" train prior to JB's exit a couple days ago.

But now that it's actually happened and all these nostalgic emotions have kicked in, there is part of me that is actually kind of content that there will be a familiar face leading us going forward.

Some of you are way too into the drama of things. You sound like some of my 7th grade students. We don't know what JB and Red have discussed privately. If they're fine with each other, which we don't know one way or the other, I don't see why it should matter to the rest of us. If JAB isn't at the presser and doesn't say anything today congratulating Red, I'll be mildly disappointed, but forget about it soon after. Today starts a new era in Syracuse basketball. I thank Boeheim for his decades of service to the University, but I've moved on.

Yes and no. I think we are all overanalyzing when things should be a lot clearer after today's presser and Boeheim's response. If he is still giving Red the cold shoulder (via lukewarm comments or being AWOL altogether), it'll be a huge stain on him going forward. I doubt that will be the case, but we'll know shortly.

Some of you are way too into the drama of things. You sound like some of my 7th grade students. We don't know what JB and Red have discussed privately. If they're fine with each other, which we don't know one way or the other, I don't see why it should matter to the rest of us. If JAB isn't at the presser and doesn't say anything today congratulating Red, I'll be mildly disappointed, but forget about it soon after. Today starts a new era in Syracuse basketball. I thank Boeheim for his decades of service to the University, but I've moved on.
It doesn't matter what was said privately. We all heard what was said publicly and it was irresponsible. Period. End of story. There is no excusing it. And it wasn't just this last presser. The things Jim has said over the course of this season have shown where his true priorities lie. Jim said the quiet part out loud "I'll tell John Wildhack when I'm done".

/ after JAB leaves, JW crumbles up paper and throws it in trash can with a hoop on it - swish!

/ fin.

I also considered - “crumples it up and dunks it into garbage can right in front of J-Bone”
JW definitely yelled "KOBE" like I do every time I throw something in the trash

It's funny, I was passionately aboard the "conduct a national search" train prior to JB's exit a couple days ago.

But now that it's actually happened and all these nostalgic emotions have kicked in, there is part of me that is actually kind of content that there will be a familiar face leading us going forward.
I'm really excited for Red to get the chance. None of us know how his tenure plays out, but on a personal level I'm thrilled for him.

/ fin.

Wow, this reads just like the segment at the Oscar's when they read the screenplay nominees.

Could it be that the announcement was supposed to have been after the final game but NOT during the post game press conference? Big difference. Then when Donna asked the question, JB just ad-libbed and the wheels just fell off the cart when the sports writers pressed for more answers.

Why would SU require JB to announce his retirement in the presser following the last game of his career which would have to be a loss unless they won the Natty. That is asking a lot IMHO.

Why not have the plan in place, have JB say at the presser that we will talk about it and then have a presser today or Friday and announce it all so that AA is in place before the portal opens Monday.
Yes, that would have been so much better! I don’t think he got passive aggressive. It seems he was afraid he would break down. Has anyone here had a breakdown in public? I sort of did, the night of my daughter’s last high school choir concert and they sang a song of thanks to the parents. Sitting in the darkened audience, I burst into sobs and I was completely out of control. My entire chest and shoulders shook with my attempts to stifle myself.

JB came close to breaking down during his speech after the last game. He may have had every intention going along with the plan, but announcing his retirement after that heartbreaking loss was too much for him. He is human, after all.

It doesn't matter what was said privately. We all heard what was said publicly and it was irresponsible. Period. End of story. There is no excusing it. And it wasn't just this last presser. The things Jim has said over the course of this season have shown where his true priorities lie. Jim said the quiet part out loud "I'll tell John Wildhack when I'm done".
Couldn't disagree more. You make it sound like JAB has a burn book. Enjoy the drama.

I think it’s more split than we’d like to
JB did a terrible job of answering questions making himself and the University look bad.

BUT the University didn't have to pile on the way they did. Two wrongs don't make a right. They could have waited until he got back to Syracuse, sat down with JB, and then come up with a plan that would still not be the best, but would have been better than what happened.

As someone has said, it's over now and we need to move on to support Red. I think he will do a great job but needs everyone's support to do it.
That’s fair comment

Yes and no. I think we are all overanalyzing when things should be a lot clearer after today's presser and Boeheim's response. If he is still giving Red the cold shoulder (via lukewarm comments or being AWOL altogether), it'll be a huge stain on him going forward. I doubt that will be the case, but we'll know shortly.
That scenario would be a stain, but IMO, not anything that would overshadow the decades of work he did at SU. A disappointment for sure though. It would be like remembering Willie Mays only for his contributions to the Mets.

I always preferred a former player who would bleed orange and stay loyal to the program. However, it wasn't clear whether a former player could win as many games as some of the potential external hires, so I leaned towards an external hire. It still remains to be seen whether Red can win games, but at this point we're all graciously supporting Red and assuming he can do it, unless and until he proves otherwise. It's a good feeling, giving the benefit of the doubt. I'm excited for the future -- especially recruiting. I think he can relate to these kids. Hopefully Adam W. and Melo help him out and we see a slew of 5 stars and high 4 stars come to the Dome.

This is kind of crazy to me about what the university could have done in the moment.

This was a press conference where everyone and their mother knew this was going to be the first, second, third, etc question.

JB went off the rails.
Because of that, SU had to adjust accordingly.

This wasn't a presser that SU set up and JB went off the rails, it was the post game presser.

Was SU supposed to not allow JB to be available? That would have made things worse.

Time is off the essence with recruiting, JB made his choice, SU responded the only way they could.

JB has been paid millions of dollars.
SU stuck by him through two probations.
SU stuck by him through the first Hop Coach in Waiting, the second Coach in Waiting which he blew up.
The ironclad plan ridiculousness.
The years of downturn including allow him to have daddy ball and have JGIII be a four year starter.
Him trying to install GMac as Coach in waiting.
And this latest attempt to blow up another coach in waiting.

What did you want SU to do once he went rogue AGAIN?

Hopefully time heals all wounds and JB comes around. But it's go time for Red. JB is a legend, but he has to figure out how he wants his remaining years to be viewed and what he wants to do. Hopefully that can include coming around and being on board with this.

Problem is he told the players after the presser. He sped up the timeline by doing that. Both could have managed it better but the sequence of events got off the rails it appears partly after the presser and clearly after he spoke with the team.
Even so, the University could have waited. Sure, the word was out and it would have been awkward to wait until he was back in Syracuse, but it would still have gone down better looking like a agreed decision.

The AD's office was furious at the way it went down and had to change the press release completely. It was supposed to come out right after the presser, but instead, they had to re-edit it and release it a few hours late.
That all sounds very plausible. Thank you for sharing it.

Re the highlighted part above, maybe they should / could learn to control their emotions? Its not about them. They are not the coach. They are not the 'program'. Could have waited until today to resolve everything. Too much ego involved, at all levels. Interesting to compare this to Desko's forced retirement as well.

Releasing a hastily edited presser 2 hours after JB turtled up was not smart.

Anyhow, on to Autry.

This is kind of crazy to me about what the university could have done in the moment.

This was a press conference where everyone and their mother knew this was going to be the first, second, third, etc question.

JB went off the rails.
Because of that, SU had to adjust accordingly.

This wasn't a presser that SU set up and JB went off the rails, it was the post game presser.

Was SU supposed to not allow JB to be available? That would have made things worse.

Time is off the essence with recruiting, JB made his choice, SU responded the only way they could.

JB has been paid millions of dollars.
SU stuck by him through two probations.
SU stuck by him through the first Hop Coach in Waiting, the second Coach in Waiting which he blew up.
The ironclad plan ridiculousness.
The years of downturn including allow him to have daddy ball and have JGIII be a four year starter.
Him trying to install GMac as Coach in waiting.
And this latest attempt to blow up another coach in waiting.

What did you want SU to do once he went rogue AGAIN?

Hopefully time heals all wounds and JB comes around. But it's go time for Red. JB is a legend, but he has to figure out how he wants his remaining years to be viewed and what he wants to do. Hopefully that can include coming around and being on board with this.
Well said, Mike.

That all sounds very plausible. Thank you for sharing it.

Re the highlighted part above, maybe they should / could learn to control their emotions? Its not about them. They are not the coach. They are not the 'program'. Could have waited until today to resolve everything. Too much ego involved, at all levels. Interesting to compare this to Desko's forced retirement as well.

Releasing a hastily edited presser 2 hours after JB turtled up was not smart.

Anyhow, on to Autry.
Accepting all that, it was poor planning all around to schedule any substantive announcement for after any game that was almost certain to be a loss and outside Syracuse. It’s not rocket science to figure out this all should have transpired once everyone was back in CNY.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical right now, but I feel like no matter what happens over the next couple years, Wildhack won't look good.

If Autry struggles, everyone will wonder why we didn't conduct a legitimate national search.
If Autry succeeds, everyone will wonder why he couldn't be tougher and make this move 2-3 years ago.

I hope to God that the presser was not sold by ACCNX to YES or Bally. That would be even more fitting than JBs awkward postgame presser on Wed.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical right now, but I feel like no matter what happens over the next couple years, Wildhack won't look good.

If Autry struggles, everyone will wonder why we didn't conduct a legitimate national search.
If Autry succeeds, everyone will wonder why he couldn't be tougher and make this move 2-3 years ago.
If he succeeds nobody will care. Short memories.

If Autry succeeds, I think everyone will forget about Wildhack and rightly shift their focus to Autry and SU basketball again.

If he struggles, it will get ugly.

Eh - look at UNC, if Hubert stinks it up next year they'll just hire another guy and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom