Things I'm watching for this weekend | Syracusefan.com

Things I'm watching for this weekend

Rocco

Watching you.
This is yet another David vs Goliath matchup against an ACC foe and a win would be one of the biggest upsets in recent college football history. So with that being said and with a loss almost sealed in, it's important that we still have 6 games left on the schedule and a chance to still make a bowl.

Some things I'm looking for:

- How do the players respond to the recent coaching changes? They've had to experience a very public controversy that should've absolutely remained internal within the program. Unfortunately, it did not stay behind closed doors and has surely caused distractions.

- What will Lester's gameplan look like? There have been talks of a 2-headed QB monster and that is more than likely at this point. The staff knows this would take a herculean effort to win, so expect a conservative power run game with a few trick plays mixed in IMO. Keep doing what works. It's pretty simple.

- AJ Long has looked like a mini-Mike Vick in practice according to reports, but how will that exactly translate to on-the-field success? Hoping he really is a gamer and takes the reins moving forward. We all want to see an exciting offense that scores points.

- How many substitutions will we have? Enough with the musical chairs already. Let these kids get into a rhythm and keep playing the ones who are making plays. A break is ok here and there, but I don't want to see WW running on and off the field. It's brutal.

- Will Dyshawn Davis show up? In my book, he's been the biggest underperformer on the defense thus far. Not sure if he's playing hurt or not, but we need him to have a career game. He's had a stellar career, but I miss the sophomore year DD.

- Will our DE's keep contain? MR and RW tend to shoot upfield and extend the pocket, which cannot happen against a high-caliber QB like Winston. Keep him in the pocket and give Hodge or Lynch a chance to sneak up on him... and break his leg.

- Will Raymon be healthy enough to go? This is important because it will allow Thompson to slide back out to the outside, where he excels. Ron is by far our best pass-rushing DE and his hand and footwork are head and shoulders above everyone else on the team.

- Will we cut down on the boneheaded penalties? This whole season can be characterized by "2 steps forward, 3 steps back". Just when we start getting momentum and make it close to the red zone, our guys lose their minds. Keep the snap counts simple and when a defender is past you, let go.

- Can we score a touchdown? I don't give a damn if it's offensive, defensive, on special teams or Shafer running it in, let's just break the goal line. Last year, we managed to only score 3 points. Can we break the streak?

- Will there be ridiculous postgame comments by Shafer? If we get beat by 42, let's not say how our troops in Pearl Harbor during WWII are the ones who really had it bad. Putting things in perspective is ok at times, but not when you are being paid lots of money to lead a football program to victories.

- Will I be able to muster out any words by Tuesday? I'm usually as hoarse as sandpaper through Tuesday of the following week after a Cuse game, so I'm wondering if I can control myself. All signs point to no.

As usual, I'm pumped as hell to watch another Cuse football game. I've tried to forget the first 5 games.

LGO.

Raymon played a ton last week.

people seem to be upset with the rotation od DT/RB/WR. Listening to XM morning several coaches were talking about how they rotate backs continually to keep them fresh. The majority of schools rotate backs and defenders all game long yet people say we shouldnt be.

Great Post. I'm pumped up regardless of the circumstance. I haven't been to the dome since Nassibs senior year, so it has been a while.

Only major difference in opinion... I think Dy Davis has been good this year. One of the few bright spots on the team, flying around making tackles.

people seem to be upset with the rotation od DT/RB/WR. Listening to XM morning several coaches were talking about how they rotate backs continually to keep them fresh. The majority of schools rotate backs and defenders all game long yet people say we shouldnt be.

I haven't been able to attend a game live this year yet, so it's hard to really notice on TV how much substituting we're doing. But I do recall during the 90s, we always had a 3rd down package, where about 3-4 guys (extra DB in/LB out, couple DL, run stoppers out/better pass rush types in) would always substitute in. Seemed like it would happen quite a bit in any given sustained drive.

I realize he played, but doesn't mean he can play all game. When he's in, it gives a greater chance of Thompson moving outside.

Teams may rotate backs, but not 4 of them and we rotate them too much.

Nice list, Rocco.

- I'm looking for better, crisper execution from the offense - even if a superior FSU athlete makes a great play - are we in the right spot at the right time?
- Fire. Heart. Fight. I do not want to see anyone laying down for this team. No giving up, no matter the score.

I'm looking forward to the game; I'm not looking forward to the posters who only post after a loss - complaining after this game. Moratorium on saying "no more excuses" - we have real, big, daunting challenges in this one. It would take a miracle to win. So if we get beat 45-0, random negative poster - just roll with it. Save your venom for Wake Forest.

So here's a question I probably should know the answer to already. Does the OC call the personnel in addition to the play? Or does someone else call the substitutions once the play is known?

Just keep the game within 2 scores at halftime and see good effort and less penalties. Florida State's talent is off the charts. Their starting RB is out and if we want any chance to be competitive and I honestly think we will be up for this game we can't commit penalties and play behind the chains.
I think we can cover the point spread of FSU +20
Jimho is going to be conserative with Notre Dame next week and won't run anything to tip his hand for the Irish. I think FSU 35 SU 17.

Just keep the game within 2 scores at halftime and see good effort and less penalties. Florida State's talent is off the charts. Their starting RB is out and if we want any chance to be competitive and I honestly think we will be up for this game we can't commit penalties and play behind the chains.
I think we can cover the point spread of FSU +20
Jimho is going to be conserative with Notre Dame next week and won't run anything to tip his hand for the Irish. I think FSU 35 SU 17.
i would sign up for 17 points and call it a win for sure

This is the type of game Marrone would be great for - hes very conservative, would be able to keep it relatively close. We need a moral victory this week

This is yet another David vs Goliath matchup against an ACC foe and a win would be one of the biggest upsets in recent college football history. So with that being said and with a loss almost sealed in, it's important that we still have 6 games left on the schedule and a chance to still make a bowl.

Some things I'm looking for:

- How do the players respond to the recent coaching changes? They've had to experience a very public controversy that should've absolutely remained internal within the program. Unfortunately, it did not stay behind closed doors and has surely caused distractions.

- What will Lester's gameplan look like? There have been talks of a 2-headed QB monster and that is more than likely at this point. The staff knows this would take a herculean effort to win, so expect a conservative power run game with a few trick plays mixed in IMO. Keep doing what works. It's pretty simple.

- AJ Long has looked like a mini-Mike Vick in practice according to reports, but how will that exactly translate to on-the-field success? Hoping he really is a gamer and takes the reins moving forward. We all want to see an exciting offense that scores points.

- How many substitutions will we have? Enough with the musical chairs already. Let these kids get into a rhythm and keep playing the ones who are making plays. A break is ok here and there, but I don't want to see WW running on and off the field. It's brutal.

- Will Dyshawn Davis show up? In my book, he's been the biggest underperformer on the defense thus far. Not sure if he's playing hurt or not, but we need him to have a career game. He's had a stellar career, but I miss the sophomore year DD.

- Will our DE's keep contain? MR and RW tend to shoot upfield and extend the pocket, which cannot happen against a high-caliber QB like Winston. Keep him in the pocket and give Hodge or Lynch a chance to sneak up on him... and break his leg.

- Will Raymon be healthy enough to go? This is important because it will allow Thompson to slide back out to the outside, where he excels. Ron is by far our best pass-rushing DE and his hand and footwork are head and shoulders above everyone else on the team.

- Will we cut down on the boneheaded penalties? This whole season can be characterized by "2 steps forward, 3 steps back". Just when we start getting momentum and make it close to the red zone, our guys lose their minds. Keep the snap counts simple and when a defender is past you, let go.

- Can we score a touchdown? I don't give a damn if it's offensive, defensive, on special teams or Shafer running it in, let's just break the goal line. Last year, we managed to only score 3 points. Can we break the streak?

- Will there be ridiculous postgame comments by Shafer? If we get beat by 42, let's not say how our troops in Pearl Harbor during WWII are the ones who really had it bad. Putting things in perspective is ok at times, but not when you are being paid lots of money to lead a football program to victories.

- Will I be able to muster out any words by Tuesday? I'm usually as hoarse as sandpaper through Tuesday of the following week after a Cuse game, so I'm wondering if I can control myself. All signs point to no.

As usual, I'm pumped as hell to watch another Cuse football game. I've tried to forget the first 5 games.

LGO.
I don't know how the OC change could have been kept "internal". It was not merely Lester will call the plays, but Lester will be OC and thus, GM's boss. Far too visible a move to be kept in-house. We could have had less controversy perhaps, but still very public. The kids more than anybody know a change was needed. I think they will be OK.

I think the coaches have written this game off and will use it see who has what. If they really are that high on AJ we will see him right away, If not, then we will probably only see him is Wilson and Kimble are terrible.

I suspect the penalties will continue. It has been that way for years with very few exceptions.

I agree that Lester will probably run the ball and keep running it. FSU has given up more yards per game rushing than we have (142 vs 130). The Citadel rushed for 250 yards, NCS 161, Clemson 101, OKS 161. Only Wake with 40 could not run the ball against FSU,

Alternatively, FSU doe not rush very well - 100th in the nation - but they are 15th in passing. FSU will kill our porous pass defense so I doubt there is any way to keep the score down and to get the defense off the field when FSU is on offense (ain't going to be any 3 and outs). We need to shorten the game with decent running. If that doesn't work it might get real ugly.

I honestly didn't even realize how much he played. Maybe it was because I was blind with rage from the team's performance throughout the game or maybe it was because it was my 30th birthday and I was concentrated on all the dome foams in front of my face.

There's a difference between platooning two RBs and maybe having a 3rd down back that you use situationally, and trying to get 5 RBs equal snaps. The only thing the latter accomplishes is preventing any of the 5 from getting into a playing rhythm.

I'm all for substituting and keeping players fresh, but some of it is overkill. Play your best players, and when they need a break, get them out. Then get them back in after they've had a quick rest. Every possession doesn't require keystone cops mass substitutions [which I'm not implying you are advocating, upperdeck].

Last edited:
I don't know how the OC change could have been kept "internal". It was not merely Lester will call the plays, but Lester will be OC and thus, GM's boss. Far too visible a move to be kept in-house. We could have had less controversy perhaps, but still very public. The kids more than anybody know a change was needed. I think they will be OK.

I think the coaches have written this game off and will use it see who has what. If they really are that high on AJ we will see him right away, If not, then we will probably only see him is Wilson and Kimble are terrible.

I suspect the penalties will continue. It has been that way for years with very few exceptions.

I agree that Lester will probably run the ball and keep running it. FSU has given up more yards per game rushing than we have (142 vs 130). The Citadel rushed for 250 yards, NCS 161, Clemson 101, OKS 161. Only Wake with 40 could not run the ball against FSU,

Alternatively, FSU doe not rush very well - 100th in the nation - but they are 15th in passing. FSU will kill our porous pass defense so I doubt there is any way to keep the score down and to get the defense off the field when FSU is on offense (ain't going to be any 3 and outs). We need to shorten the game with decent running. If that doesn't work it might get real ugly.

I realize that is was going to be publicized at some point, but there were several things that went wrong. For starters, an SU press release could've simply said that Lester will now be taking on a larger role. Also, McDonald spouted off like a pansy and then the university had to play damage control with the "clarifications".

It was one of the worst things I've ever seen handled out of that program.

I'm looking to see how soon it takes for Shafer to get that lost/hopeless/why me/constipated look that he gets when things go bad. I'm going to start calling it the Shafer-poop-face.

Go ask Diamond Ferri Bour frequent substitutions, he'll sYyou won't need them - just play both ways and you'll stay fresh

Go ask Diamond Ferri Bour frequent substitutions, he'll sYyou won't need them

NotSureIfEnglish.png

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors