This has to be said but how great is Dan Dakich | Syracusefan.com

This has to be said but how great is Dan Dakich

Alsacs

Living Legend
The guy spent 2 freaking hours doing nothing but PRAISING our team, program, fanbase, style of play, Jim Boeheim being James Dean. I freaking wanted to give the an honorary degree just because of how much love he gave us. The dude is an Indiana alum and has a radio show in Indianapolis and the guy just spent the whole game praising us. He rightfully gave Noah Vonleh of Indiana props for playing hard last night, but listening to the game you would think Tirico was the IU alum and Dakich was the SU alum.

The guy spent 2 freaking hours doing nothing but PRAISING our team, program, fanbase, style of play, Jim Boeheim being James Dean. I freaking wanted to give the an honorary degree just because of how much love he gave us. The dude is an Indiana alum and has a radio show in Indianapolis and the guy just spent the whole game praising us. He rightfully gave Noah Vonleh of Indiana props for playing hard last night, but listening to the game you would think Tirico was the IU alum and Dakich was the SU alum.

I know there was a thread on how awful people think he is. I dont think hes a great broadcaster but the guy does nothing but praise Syracuse.

Softening the blow for the Indiana faithful, perhaps?

I know there was a thread on how awful people think he is. I dont think hes a great broadcaster but the guy does nothing but praise Syracuse.
It's funny, he wanted to proclaim us FF favs but tirico wouldn't take the bait. Smart on tiricos part, it's too early but I like Dakich a lot...

"This kid is smooth. This kid Ennis is really smooth."
-- Dan Dakich

I like Dakich. I find him pretty entertaining because he speaks his mind and isn't afraid to call guys out. There's something refreshing about a commentator with no restraint. He did the Cuse - St. Johns game last year, and had nothing but GREAT things to say about us (and JB). Similar story last night. OK, maybe he talks too much. But it's not like he's Dicky V, where he's rambling incessantly off-topic. And I didn't find him to be an IU homer at all. He was pretty critical of them actually.

After so many years of ESPN trashing the Orange, for me at least, it will take more time to heal than just a few good comments during one game and one nice article on Trevor. I mean how many years have we've been watching the Orange on ESPN they show a highlight from the opposing team when going to a commercial break not only when the other team is winning, BUT also when the Orange are winning! That's not balanced coverage. You don't praise the team that's losing as being great. Yes, Dan gave us a few good comments. He also posed some stupid comment about "do the fans now support Jim Boeheim" BS. You do not have to go too far to see the bias. When sports center came on right after the Duke game finished, Duke ranked tenth in the country was the lead story as opposed to the Orange ranked at 4/5. Come on, it's been going on for years.

And then on top of that how many times during a half time report do the broadcasters go step by step on how to beat our 2-3 zone. What other team gets a 10 minute exposé on how to beat their defense during the half time report practically every game? It's been going on for years. At this point it just mildly pisses me off because it's been going on for so long I practically ignore it.

I thought the most entertaining part of the night was when Tirico said the 87 game "got away" from SU, and Dakich called him out on it and they went back and forth a little bit.

And then on top of that how many times during a half time report do the broadcasters go step by step on how to beat our 2-3 zone. What other team gets a 10 minute exposé on how to beat their defense during the half time report practically every game? It's been going on for years. At this point it just mildly pisses me off because it's been going on for so long I practically ignore it.

Let them keep trying. Clearly their tips aren't working very well.

Dakich is a great color guy. Not hilarious, but not droll; insightful, fresh and fair.

After so many years of ESPN trashing the Orange, for me at least, it will take more time to heal than just a few good comments during one game and one nice article on Trevor. I mean how many years have we've been watching the Orange on ESPN they show a highlight from the opposing team when going to a commercial break not only when the other team is winning, BUT also when the Orange are winning! That's not balanced coverage. You don't praise the team that's losing as being great. Yes, Dan gave us a few good comments. He also posed some stupid comment about "do the fans now support Jim Boeheim" BS. You do not have to go too far to see the bias. When sports center came on right after the Duke game finished, Duke ranked tenth in the country was the lead story as opposed to the Orange ranked at 4/5. Come on, it's been going on for years.

Good grief this is some pro level whining. This is so over the top it is comical.

Good grief this is some pro level whining. This is so over the top it is comical.

Maybe so. But I can assure you I am not being paid to do it!

I'm sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine. You may not agree but this is what I believe. Sports broadcasters should not take sides in a game. If the offense makes a good play then praise the offense. If the defense makes a good play praise the defense. Whichever team is winning when going to commercial break show that team's highlight from the current segment. It's not like the Orange did not have any plays worthy of highlight status!

Duke Vitale is insanely biased!

Last edited:
I thought the most entertaining part of the night was when Tirico said the 87 game "got away" from SU, and Dakich called him out on it and they went back and forth a little bit.

We need to beat IU at least 10 more times before the words "Keith Smart" don't make me feel like puking.

Dakich is a great color guy. Not hilarious, but not droll; insightful, fresh and fair.
He'd be fine if he would just shut the hell up once in awhile. The dude feels like he has to fill every millisecond of air.

"he speaks his mind and isn't afraid to call guys out. There's something refreshing about a commentator with no restraint."

This. The guy will say whatever he thinks, the consequences. This is generally dangerous, but when almost everything you think is (a) interesting and (b) correct, it is a great strategy.

Ask Him, Self agrandizing, "Young Hoosier Team' on and on. He talks too much . and that's saying a lot considering the others in the Business.

Oh and the flagrant foul call unless Trevor Cooneys right shoulder is the ball he has no arguement on his "He was trying to block the shot argument"

Last edited:
Ask Him, Self agrandizing, "Young Hoosier Team' on and on. He talks too much . and that's saying a lot considering the others in the Business.

Oh and the flagrant foul call unless Trevor Cooneys right shoulder is the ball he has no arguement on his "He was trying to block the shot argument"
On the flagrant foul, after the game Cooney himself said that the defender was trying to make a play on the ball. Even Cooney didn't think it warranted an ejection.

I loved it when our zone was causing fits in the 1st half, you could hear him say, "This is awesome". Yep, not the most polished commentator, but he is welcome back in my book.

Would love to hear him with Bilas and McDonough.

Dakich is one of those guys that is entertaining at first but by the end of game kind of gets on your nerves. He loves JB though and always has. He seems to almost go out of his way to praise him at times. More when he is in studio than when he is doing a game. I loved Dakich's comment about how they call carries until the January 1st. Also he kind of annoyed Mike T with the argument over the title game which was kind of funny. I think Mike T said, "Oh Come on" at the end. I listened to Dakich's show after we beat Indian in the tourney last year and he was pretty funny. Telling listeners who were going to call in to criticize the zone not to wast their time then he said, "Boeheim has kicked the crap out of Indiana everytime he has played them outside of the title game and for Indiana to win that game someone had to hit a shot when they were falling out of bounds."

I thought it was cool early in the game when the mic caught him saying "this is so cool" (or something along those lines) regarding the game, Dome and atmosphere. It seemed to me it was a thought that got blurted out - not something he meant to say on-air.

I cannot stand him. I'd love to never have him do another one of our games.

Boo. Hiss.

He's obviously not for everyone, but I find him genuinely funny, knowledgable, and willing to take strong stances on issues, which is refreshing.

I'm also starting to warm up to Seth Greenberg. Never thought I'd say that considering his annual "we beat nobody but deserve to get into the NCAA tournament" media tour while at Va Tech. Guy knows his stuff.