This is unwatchable… | Syracusefan.com

This is unwatchable…

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
We are only four games and 10 minutes in, but the offensive strategy is questionable. I am not impressed. Mintz is complaining every other play, Starling can’t shoot, Bell is flawed, MacLeod is very limited. This has the potential to be a very tough year. Very tough.

Hard to disagree. Is the ACC historically bad again? I am banking on that.

I did not expect to beat top 15 teams in Maui either.

feel like in 3 years we'll be saying "I did not expect to beat top 15 teams in Maui <insert other early season tournament> either".

Red was the easy hire becuase it was in house and Sithmaster Boeheim wanted it such. Well the program may have decayed because of the institutional residue from HC down...something to monitor

feel like in 3 years we'll be saying "I did not expect to beat top 15 teams in Maui <insert other early season tournament> either".

Red was the easy hire becuase it was in house and Sithmaster Boeheim wanted it such. Well the program may have decayed because of the institutional residue from HC down...something to monitor

Sithmaster?

I don't believe that JB had anything to do with Red getting the job.

It was a flawed roster to begin with and nobody wanted to admit it. When we played ND last year Starling didn’t do jack sht. Cuff was a backup. The FSU center avg about 4 minutes a game. Mintz plays the game 1v5 like he’s on a play ground. Then all this with a guy who’s never been a head coach and a staff that was on the clock during the demise. It’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Having said all that, imo, we’re a better shooting team than we’ve showed and when the ball drops that’ll hide some flaws.

Last edited:
It was a flawed roster to begin with and nobody wanted to admit it. When we played ND last year Starling didn’t do jack sht. Cuff was a backup. The FSU center avg about 4 minutes a game. Mintz plays the game 1v5 like he’s on play ground. Then all this with a guy who’s never been a head coach and a staff that was on the clock during the demise. It’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Having said all that, imo, we’re a better shooting team than we’ve showed and when the ball drops that’ll hide some flaws.
Bill Walton said on the broadcast today said that in the Tennessee game we played 1v9. Judah plays for himself. JJ might be a better point guard in looking for others. If and until Judah is willing to play as one of a team we won't be very good. He didn't last year and so far he isn't this year. Maybe he doesn't understand that the NBA might be more interested in a player who plays team basketball, not just playing for himself. Can Red and/or Gerry get him to change? Someone posted before the season started that KenPom & another rater (Sagarin?) projected us to win 9 or 10 games this year. Maybe it can be more if the ACC is as bad this year as some are saying. But that won't mean we're very good.

It was a flawed roster to begin with and nobody wanted to admit it. When we played ND last year Starling didn’t do jack sht. Cuff was a backup. The FSU center avg about 4 minutes a game. Mintz plays the game 1v5 like he’s on a play ground. Then all this with a guy who’s never been a head coach and a staff that was on the clock during the demise. It’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Having said all that, imo, we’re a better shooting team than we’ve showed and when the ball drops that’ll hide some flaws.
These teams aren’t even fun to watch anymore. Just absolutely awful. But then again what did we expect?

Hard to disagree. Is the ACC historically bad again? I am banking on that.

I did not expect to beat top 15 teams in Maui either.
If the ACC is historically bad again then you need to take advantage of the non-conference slate. Haven’t we learned that the last few years? Getting in a 24pt hole to Colgate and squandering 2 Q1 win opportunities isn’t inspiring any confidence

If the ACC is historically bad again then you need to take advantage of the non-conference slate. Haven’t we learned that the last few years? Getting in a 24pt hole to Colgate and squandering 2 Q1 win opportunities isn’t inspiring any confidence
Thats why we still have LSU and Oregon on the non con slate. More Q1/2 opportunities but need to win for it to matter

Not sure LSU and Oregon will be q1 but yes it’s absolutely critical they win at least one of those

Let’s be real -

We knew year 1 after JB would be a struggle. I actually think all things considered Red did a pretty good job doing what he could to make this roster. JJ and Judah are obviously redundant - but I don’t blame Red for taking JJ when he wanted to come, and I think Judah coming back was a bit of a surprise, but obviously uoire thrilled he comes back. Red wasn’t in a position to turn down either one. I didn’t think he’d be able to keep Benny, Bell, Taylor AND Brown. So I give Red credit for at least trying to build something with the guys that were here.

Red needs his recruits, to implement his style, culture, etc. We’re 5 games in and got blown out by 2 top 10 teams on a neutral court. It sucked to watch but it’s not exactly a surprise either.

Next year Red gets Donnie + Moore. I assume Judah will go the league. JJ/Moore seem like a better fit in the backcourt. Add Freeman to the front court.

The roster construction doesn’t make sense - but Red knows that.

It may get ugly this year - you can kinda see the guys that are playing selfishly. It’ll be interesting to see how they look in February

Yall wanted change. Wanted NIL. Reap what we sow in football and basketball now unfortunately. Hopefully Yeats from now we can recover from these times and hopefully the next few years of bad basketball dosent make some of us fans no longer...

Let’s be real -

We knew year 1 after JB would be a struggle. I actually think all things considered Red did a pretty good job doing what he could to make this roster. JJ and Judah are obviously redundant - but I don’t blame Red for taking JJ when he wanted to come, and I think Judah coming back was a bit of a surprise, but obviously uoire thrilled he comes back. Red wasn’t in a position to turn down either one. I didn’t think he’d be able to keep Benny, Bell, Taylor AND Brown. So I give Red credit for at least trying to build something with the guys that were here.

Red needs his recruits, to implement his style, culture, etc. We’re 5 games in and got blown out by 2 top 10 teams on a neutral court. It sucked to watch but it’s not exactly a surprise either.

Next year Red gets Donnie + Moore. I assume Judah will go the league. JJ/Moore seem like a better fit in the backcourt. Add Freeman to the front court.

The roster construction doesn’t make sense - but Red knows that.

It may get ugly this year - you can kinda see the guys that are playing selfishly. It’ll be interesting to see how they look in February
Really well said.

We aren’t used to patience but progress through the season is the most reasonable thing to expect, especially with what our first nine game look like let alone the ACC.

Next year…

Yall wanted change. Wanted NIL. Reap what we sow in football and basketball now unfortunately. Hopefully Yeats from now we can recover from these times and hopefully the next few years of bad basketball dosent make some of us fans no longer...

Not accurate at all. A good portion of this board was never in favor of NIL or the transfer portal for that matter. What can you do though. It’s here regardless so it’s up to SU to figure out how to win in this new era. They have been unsuccessful so far. Let’s hope they figure it out soon because this isn’t fun to watch at all.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

We don’t know if red is a good coach is the issue. Guy is learning on the job. Thats the issue.

If he becomes a Roy Williams awesome if he becomes a Matt Doherty not awesome

How about we start with rebounding and then see where it goes from there. lack of rebounding is inexcusable.
Absolutely! Any team that gets out rebounded by 12-20 boards a game is going to have a long season. If and or when Williams ever returns to the point that he can start, Brown has to start with Mccleod. Taylor and Bell are not steady, Bell can't rebound, plays lazy D and Taylor does OK rebounding, but can't seem to score against real competition.

The 4 guys red brought in from the portal - how much of this was a consequence of getting a late start? NM is the only one I give him a pass on because Jesse left us at the altar. The others have serious flaws or baggage. I hope it’s not a sign of red’s inability and we’re still behind on nil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom