This is what March Madness is all about | Syracusefan.com

This is what March Madness is all about

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I'm shocked people said they wouldn't watch because Cuse isn't in it. I understand but that's crazy. Does that mean that you won't watch the Super Bowl because the Giants/Jets/Bills/insert team, have been eliminated? Well, March Madness is almost like 67 Super Bowls and there are 1000's of angles and stories. This is one of them. About the head coach of Longwood. Since no one knows anything about that team, now you can get to know about their head coach. Maybe we will see him in the future.

I'm the only one in my family that cares about the tournament or college basketball. I'll exert my control over the TV when it's an SU game but I won't make everyone else watch other teams play. I'll probably try to catch an interesting match up on the second weekend and/or catch the final four.

Edit: When I was single, I would glue myself to the TV for this weekend.

"The Tournament" is THE best sporting event.
Period.

It's very depressing to be reminded that the Orange weren't even good enough to make the CBI this year.
But The Tournament is still fun to watch.
I will be rooting for St. Peter's and Longwood.
What a great final matchup that will be.

I'm shocked you think that anyone would care about some random rich dude, deciding to coach bball and making the tournament at a small school. Doesn't move the needle for me, although, there are probably many other storylines that are actually poignant, but that aint it.
The guy is following his dream. How many people are there that have walked away from a job they were very good at and took a $700,000 pay cut. Now, it doesn't say what his wife does, nor does it say if he was able to live off his investments, but don't be shocked. He did a complete 180 in his career path taking a job that he didn't even know if he would be any good at. I would be shocked if you didn't realize that being an assistant coach can be one of the worst jobs out there as far as job security and stress levels. Now we know, being an assistant coach at Syracuse has basically amounted to a lifetime contract, but look at guys like Devo, who seemingly has had a hard time breaking into coaching, or a guy like Ryan Blackwell, who has done well at Liverpool, but it's not like he has won the lottery. Most coaches don't get into coaching for the money, but if they are good, it can be very lucrative, especially once they get promoted. I would have to think that Blackwell would have ambitions beyond the Liverpool varsity.

The guy is following his dream. How many people are there that have walked away from a job they were very good at and took a $700,000 pay cut. Now, it doesn't say what his wife does, nor does it say if he was able to live off his investments, but don't be shocked. He did a complete 180 in his career path taking a job that he didn't even know if he would be any good at. I would be shocked if you didn't realize that being an assistant coach can be one of the worst jobs out there as far as job security and stress levels. Now we know, being an assistant coach at Syracuse has basically amounted to a lifetime contract, but look at guys like Devo, who seemingly has had a hard time breaking into coaching, or a guy like Ryan Blackwell, who has done well at Liverpool, but it's not like he has won the lottery. Most coaches don't get into coaching for the money, but if they are good, it can be very lucrative, especially once they get promoted. I would have to think that Blackwell would have ambitions beyond the Liverpool varsity.
Once you’re financially independent you can finally do what you want and follow your dreams. He recognize s life moves fast and money is secondary to happiness. Some people learn this early on and for others later. This person and his situation could end up as a movie one day.

it is the worst way to crown a champion in MLB-NFL-NBA-NCAAF&B

but it is the BEST

I'm shocked people said they wouldn't watch because Cuse isn't in it. I understand but that's crazy. Does that mean that you won't watch the Super Bowl because the Giants/Jets/Bills/insert team, have been eliminated? Well, March Madness is almost like 67 Super Bowls and there are 1000's of angles and stories. This is one of them. About the head coach of Longwood. Since no one knows anything about that team, now you can get to know about their head coach. Maybe we will see him in the future.

So cool story- most years I do watch. I think ive stopped watching more when we were in the field but lost and lost as somewhat of a screwjob. Maybe 1 year ever didnt watch at least the first week/end. Sounds like a good guy. That said it takes only a small number of years at that salary level to set yourself up for life and retire early. Thus chasing this passion as retirement from the rat race is cool but not necessarily earth shattering.

I watch, maybe, a handful of college games per year that don't involve Syracuse. So, the tournament holds less value to me that most of y'all when we're out of it. And a hell of a lot less interest when we were never involved. That said, yes, i implied i wouldn't watch, but i probably will see a few games later on. But, this is the first year since 1985 that i haven't even bothered to look at brackets and matchups. I just don't care, and that's an artifact of us being so far outside the field for so long.

I'm shocked you think that anyone would care about some random rich dude, deciding to coach bball and making the tournament at a small school. Doesn't move the needle for me, although, there are probably many other storylines that are actually poignant, but that aint it.

"Rich dude" love it when someone tries to conflate being rich as some derogatory status. The guy is self-made, used his drive to get where he wanted, all while still mentoring kids and keeping his ultimate dream alive. Yeah, having money makes it easier for him, but that doesn't mean he would have declined the opportunity if he didn't have the money. He sounds like someone who lacked confidence in himself as a coach and decided to pursue another career instead, btw, at the insistence of a D1 coach. I say good for him.

"Rich dude" love it when someone tries to conflate being rich as some derogatory status. The guy is self-made, used his drive to get where he wanted, all while still mentoring kids and keeping his ultimate dream alive. Yeah, having money makes it easier for him, but that doesn't mean he would have declined the opportunity if he didn't have the money. He sounds like someone who lacked confidence in himself as a coach and decided to pursue another career instead, btw, at the insistence of a D1 coach. I say good for him.
I am in no way disparaging him, or his self made man status... just doesn't move the needle for me in terms of a story line to watch his team.

Yeah, it's just kind of meh to me these days.
Me too. Although you all are making me think I’ll turn on the TV a bit this weekend - just to root for upsets. But I’m almost completely disinterested without Syracuse in the Dance.

Didn't see any disparaging remarks just not shocked. Also I will take issue a bit with the self made comment. He has been successful yes but self made is a bit different to some of us. For instance- growing up in poverty and then finding a path to being successful is self made to me. Not sure that is his story. Somewhat a nitpick for me - having truly come from very little and knowing how much more of an effort it is to make that climb.

Again cool story and always glad to see folks chase their passion. Just not on the let's celebrate the guy because of it. Also zero issue with those that have massive wealth.

The tournament is always my favorite part of the year. I take the first two days off, every year. Yea, I enjoy it far more when Syracuse is in it, and a contender, but I'm still counting down the hours until Thursday morning

The tournament is always my favorite part of the year. I take the first two days off, every year. Yea, I enjoy it far more when Syracuse is in it, and a contender, but I'm still counting down the hours until Thursday morning

First four is a fun watch too..

"But he says it's important that when you realize what your personal calling might be, you take action on it. "Sometimes it's continuing to do the same thing that you're doing, but with a different perspective," Aldrich says. "And sometimes, it is a dramatic shift like mine. I would encourage [you] to really try to explore [that]."

I felt that