this offense makes mahoney ok which still amazes me | Syracusefan.com

this offense makes mahoney ok which still amazes me

Millhouse

Living Legend
Dungey's qb rating is 138, Mahoney's is 133

Not sure what to make of the opposition because so many of mahoney's throws came against a lousy pass defense on a good team.

We all see with our own eyes the limitations of Mahoney's arm - it is incredible that mahoney has passing stats as good as he does

nassib in 2010 and 2011 wasn't that good.

What are we going to see if the guy from NJ is the real deal down the road?

when we threw in rhythm and didnt have to panic throw he did fine. still missed some really easy deep throws, ISH dropped one because he did high spot it. He also made some really nice throws. he is a 50/50 thrower. He missed the one TD in the corner on the rollout by 5 yds.. I think we scored after that so no loss there.

This system gets the ball out so quick its all about making the first read correctly and thats where the light bulb comes on for the QBs and the WR getting to the right places. Much more pre and post snap decisions for certain parts of the plays than we ran before.

I think props to AC for stepping in and playing well after hardly seeing the field. Dont know why he didnt get a bit more run but maybe it went on for him later in the season too.

We didnt hit many but there were 4-6 deep throws wide open almost every game and that is without much deep speed. If we get some better speed guys this will really be fun.

He is our version of a fat bearded pirate with a beer gut. I am not worried about QB play, he needs to fix the running game more than anything. Even if Dungey doesn't come back ( and I think fans here vastly overrate him which I get) I think we will be fine. I think Dino made some tweaks for Mahoney that helped as well. Not playing FSU helps too, NS St was 1st start so I give a pass.

I think the top side of Dungey is that he is farther along at making the correct reads, and he should be since he has a year of starts in him.. He also makes better throws on some of the deeper stuff. On top of that is a bit more escapability.

but if you actually watch the throws though. Still way too sloppy and in accurate, and rushed some big throws at key moments.

I think the system allows us to compete with lesser QBs with so many throws being simple as long as you throw to the right place. If we were running better half the dungey runs never happen and we sprinkle in the spread runs and dont live on them.

I agree fis the running, get some backs with power to break tackles. It will wear out the D much quicker than pace alone does.

He is our version of a fat bearded pirate with a beer gut. I am not worried about QB play, he needs to fix the running game more than anything. Even if Dungey doesn't come back ( and I think fans here vastly overrate him which I get) I think we will be fine. I think Dino made some tweaks for Mahoney that helped as well. Not playing FSU helps too, NS St was 1st start so I give a pass.
If you think that the fans here over rate him, than you under rate him.

Mahoney's passes were tight and on target against Pitt. His deep balls were a tiny bit off but it worked out. I think the kid had a huge game, I'm not pinning it on the system.

If you think that the fans here over rate him, than you under rate him.

Possibly but like I said, our biggest issue on offense is fixing the running game, not if Dungey comes back, IMO

dungey is good but not very good imo

Exactly what I was trying to say, I would take a middle of the road run game and a new QB over having Dungey back next year. Both would be great but I am not worried about qb with this system. I know a guy with a beer gut and some arm talent can run it with a decent running game.

Can we see if that 5-8 Chinese kid from Hawaii can be a 5th year transfer?

dungey is good but not very good imo

He's solid. He's a great fit for this offense for two reasons: he makes very quick decisions and throws an excellent deep ball. This offense must have both things to be successful.

He reminds me a lot of Graham Harrell at Texas Tech back in the day - a great system quarterback. Doesn't have the best arm but it is good enough and gets the ball where it needs to be.

Mahoney probably left 4-5 TD's on the table with poorly thrown deep balls in his starts.

well, I hope we have someone good to replace Dungey if he doesn't come back. I love Mahoney and everything but he isn't Dungey, and we have no clue what we have with Rex. DeVito needs a RS season.

He's solid. He's a great fit for this offense for two reasons: he makes very quick decisions and throws an excellent deep ball. This offense must have both things to be successful.

He reminds me a lot of Graham Harrell at Texas Tech back in the day - a great system quarterback. Doesn't have the best arm but it is good enough and gets the ball where it needs to be.

Mahoney probably left 4-5 TD's on the table with poorly thrown deep balls in his starts.

yep, Dungey will be missed if he can't come back and we have to go with Mahoney. I wouldn't underestimate his importance.

Agreed. Dungey would look / be a lot better than "very good" with better pass blocking and a run game to keep defenses honest--neither of which we had this year.

Dungey's qb rating is 138, Mahoney's is 133

Not sure what to make of the opposition because so many of mahoney's throws came against a lousy pass defense on a good team.

We all see with our own eyes the limitations of Mahoney's arm - it is incredible that mahoney has passing stats as good as he does

nassib in 2010 and 2011 wasn't that good.

What are we going to see if the guy from NJ is the real deal down the road?

If he can correct his tendency to overthrow - long and short - he can be effective.

He has decent not great arm strength - he is just not accurate enough.

We need as many QBs as we can get at this point.

Interesting sentiments on both QBs...I think allot of people are underestimating how hard it is to play QB in college P5...sure HCDB has a simple/pass oriented offense system...but these guys are asked to do it against some premium athletes...and Dungy did it to the tune of top 10 passer stats for much of the year...I'm not saying Dungy is Peyton or Marino but I think he is a bit better then getting credit for and as someone else said...executed it behind a young line...Mahoney has grit...and I would bet puts forth as much effort as anyone on the team...he did enough to show tough in a few games against tough teams last year and as Blue said threw some nice balls against Pitt...if a young person practices enough they can elevate their game...I am not saying the system didn't help but I think we should give these young men a bit more credit that's all...Go Cuse!

If you don't think ED is the leader of this offense and a guy that dino knows can lead for the next 2-3 years , then not sure what you are watching . he has IT. when on the field he is the team leader, arm, smarts , top 5 qb when he got hurt .

If you don't think ED is the leader of this offense and a guy that dino knows can lead for the next 2-3 years , then not sure what you are watching . he has IT. when on the field he is the team leader, arm, smarts , top 5 qb when he got hurt .
So did matt Johnson

We spent years in the quarterback wilderness and now we have offense that makes multiple QBs look good.

Just get ordinary in the areas where we are bad and it'll be glorious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom