This season was all about confirmation bias | Syracusefan.com

This season was all about confirmation bias

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
You can see whatever you want to see from this season.

If you were worried about the Tampa 2 and being a northeastern school committing to an uptempo passing offense, you were able to see a defense get torched and terrible weather conditions derail us against Wake.

If you were of a similar mindset to me and you expected to see a better passing game, a smarter mindset about 4th down, and a scheme that allowed us to punch above our weight class, you saw that in Amba and Philips numbers, all of the attempts to maintain possession on 4th down, and the Virginia Tech win.

So, everybody gets to be right. If you want to be pessimistic, you can be. If you want to be optimistic, you can be.

Trump's America

If you were worried about the Tampa 2 and being a northeastern school committing to an uptempo passing offense, you were able to see a defense get torched and terrible weather conditions derail us against Wake.

If you were of a similar mindset to me and you expected to see a better passing game, a smarter mindset about 4th down, and a scheme that allowed us to punch above our weight class, you saw that in Amba and Philips numbers, all of the attempts to maintain possession on 4th down, and the Virginia Tech win.

So, everybody gets to be right. If you want to be pessimistic, you can be. If you want to be optimistic, you can be.

Trump's America

Or more accurately: America.

If the administration had been on Trumps team during the election , he could have got SU out from under the dome naming rights deal when he got them to reconsider moving all the jobs to Mexico .

If the administration had been on Trumps team during the election , he could have got SU out from under the dome naming rights deal when he got them to reconsider moving all the jobs to Mexico .

Big league!

Trump's America
Alot of people are saying we could be good or we could be bad...

Trumps America?

Babers wouldn't be the coach then. It would go to whomever gave the most money to his campaign. If not, does Coach Baio have a ring to it?!

2 sides of the coin:

Heads: If we had kept Shafer one more year, his offense would have scored more this year (Shafer's offense scored more in 2015 then Dino's in 2016)

Shafer's defense would have given up less points. I don't know how anyone could argue that.

Tails: Team took their lumps this year but moves into 2017 with greater potential on offense than it would have under Shafer

2 sides of the coin:

Heads: If we had kept Shafer one more year, his offense would have scored more this year (Shafer's offense scored more in 2015 then Dino's in 2016)

Shafer's defense would have given up less points. I don't know how anyone could argue that.

Tails: Team took their lumps this year but moves into 2017 with greater potential on offense than it would have under Shafer

Babers scored more regulation points on offense. More yards per play vs FBS. More yards in general. We almost doubled our passing yardage. More TD vs FBS (37 vs 34). More missed FG.

I think you're right about his defense giving up less points, but I don't think it would be enough to offset the super-slow tempo. You have to be really, really good at D to win that way. I don't think a Shafer led D with this same personal is really, really good. Better? Yep. But not by that much - too many problems with the secondary.

Babers scored more regulation points on offense. More yards per play vs FBS. More yards in general. We almost doubled our passing yardage. More TD vs FBS (37 vs 34). More missed FG.

I think you're right about his defense giving up less points, but I don't think it would be enough to offset the super-slow tempo. You have to be really, really good at D to win that way. I don't think a Shafer led D with this same personal is really, really good. Better? Yep. But not by that much - too many problems with the secondary.
I understand your point. But again, you are talking about yards, not points. And I don't care if they came in regulation or overtime. Shafer's offense still scored more in 2015 than Dino's in 2016. And Dino's scored 61 against Pitt

But because of the "more yards" issue, I think we can be more optimistic about next year's offense than we otherwise would have been

(Shafer's offense scored more in 2015 then Dino's in 2016)
I didn't think that was true. Look at regulation, offensive, points only.

I just did the math (see below) and the 2016 offense scored 36 more points in regulation than the 2015 offense.

URI 31 (+7 pick 6, +7 punt return, +2 safety)
Wake 23 (+7 pick 6)
CMU 24 (+6 OT)
LSU 24
USF 24
UVA 17 (+14 OT, +7 fumble return)
Pitt 20
FSU 14 (+7 punt return)
Louisville 17
Clemson 27
NC State 22 (+7 fumble return)
BCU 20
2015 : 263

Colgate 33
Louisville 28
USF 20
Yukon 24 (+7 pick 6)
ND 33
Wake 7 (+2 safety)
VPI 31
BCU 28
NC St 20
FSU 14
Pitt 61
2016 : 299

I understand your point. But again, you are talking about yards, not points. And I don't care if they came in regulation or overtime. Shafer's offense still scored more in 2015 than Dino's in 2016. And Dino's scored 61 against Pitt

But because of the "more yards" issue, I think we can be more optimistic about next year's offense than we otherwise would have been

My point is that if you're talking about measuring how good an offense is, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on OT. You're starting in scoring position vs a tired D.

Even taking OT into account, we scored 3 more TD's this season vs FBS teams. Murphy missed 3 extra points (none last year) and was 50% on FG, rather than 75%.

I don't think it should matter if points were scored in regulation or OT. The points still count. All of the statistics still count too. If they weren't supposed to be counted, then we might as well go back to having ties.

I didn't think that was true. Look at regulation, offensive, points only.

I just did the math (see below) and the 2016 offense scored 36 more points in regulation than the 2015 offense.

URI 31 (+7 pick 6, +7 punt return, +2 safety)
Wake 23 (+7 pick 6)
CMU 24 (+6 OT)
LSU 24
USF 24
UVA 17 (+14 OT, +7 fumble return)
Pitt 20
FSU 14 (+7 punt return)
Louisville 17
Clemson 27
NC State 22 (+7 fumble return)
BCU 20
2015 : 263

Colgate 33
Louisville 28
USF 20
Yukon 24 (+7 pick 6)
ND 33
Wake 7 (+2 safety)
VPI 31
BCU 28
NC St 20
FSU 14
Pitt 61
2016 : 299

Our SoS from 2015: #56
Our SoS from 2016: #29

So we scored more vs a harder schedule.

if you don't care about overtime or regulation, one way to improve the offense is to go to overtime?

you're not alone but this is really one of the goofiest things on the board in a while.

I don't think it should matter if points were scored in regulation or OT. The points still count. All of the statistics still count too. If they weren't supposed to be counted, then we might as well go back to having ties.
Even with the 20 points in OT in 2015, the 2016 offense still outscored the 2015 offense.

My point is that if you're talking about measuring how good an offense is, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on OT. You're starting in scoring position vs a tired D.

Even taking OT into account, we scored 3 more TD's this season vs FBS teams. Murphy missed 3 extra points (none last year) and was 50% on FG, rather than 75%.
you know darn well that if shafer's defense gave up more scores simply because of overtime, they'd see the point of this argument

I don't think they shouldn't count. But I don't think including them tells you how good your offense is or isn't. You start in scoring position.

you know darn well that if shafer's defense gave up more scores simply because of overtime, they'd see the point of this argument

I think a former self may have argued that point ;)

I don't think they shouldn't count. But I don't think including them tells you how good your offense is or isn't. You start in scoring position.

While this is true, then wouldn't you need to factor in kick/punt returns, and turnovers as well? That impacts starting field position too. Just playing devil's advocate a bit, but I think it's best to include it all rather than rationalize why some should count while other's don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom