This team (and board) got smacked back to reality... | Syracusefan.com

This team (and board) got smacked back to reality...

orangeinjersey

All Conference
after pounding their chests about playing LSU close, they proceed to get throttled by a 1 win AAC team. If this team doesnt come out focused and with a win in Charlottesville, then I am afraid HCSS may not make it another year. Because if USF and UVA arent wins on your schedule, then there aren't many wins on the schedule.

after pounding their chests about playing LSU close, they proceed to get throttled by a 1 win AAC team. If this team doesnt come out focused and with a win in Charlottesville, then I am afraid HCSS may not make it another year. Because if USF and UVA arent wins on your schedule, then there aren't many wins on the schedule.
Why aren't there many wins on the schedule? Law of transitive properties? You're at the complete opposite end of the spectrum as the chest thumpers, who's right?

Every week is its own individual event. There's going to be growing pains offensively and defensively. There's a lot of football to be played, and a lot more before I'd be willing to make definitive judgements on W/L's.

Last edited:
They have to go 3-4 over the next 7 games to become bowl eligible.

Losses are likely against FSU and Clemson, but the other 5 games are complete toss ups.

And no one on here better say that Louisville is an automatic loss. That is the dumbest GD thing I've ever read.

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to see us pull of an upset against one of the top teams.

For fock sake, we played LSU really tough. That doesn't just "disappear" because we lost to USF.

We still have the potential to be a pretty good team this year. Beat UVA.

Last edited:
They have to 3-4 over the next 7 games to become bowl eligible.

Losses are likely against FSU and Clemson, but the other 5 games are complete toss ups.

And no one on here better say that Louisville is an automatic loss. That is the dumbest GD thing I've ever read.

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked to see us pull of an upset against one of the top teams.

For fock sake, we played LSU really tough. That doesn't just "disappear" because we lost to USF.

We have the potential to be a pretty good team this year. Beat UVA.

Lville is a pass dominant team and our secondary might be the worst we have had since probably the early to mid 80s. Not sure how someone thinking we might struggle is the dumbest thing ever.

Lville is a pass dominant team and our secondary might be the worst we have had since probably the early to mid 80s. Not sure how someone thinking we might struggle is the dumbest thing ever.

As already have read on here in other threads, people think LVille is an automatic loss. There is no such thing.

Struggling is a completely different argument.

Orangeinjersey - can feel your disappointment - I think we are all disappointed. We could have beaten USF - they were not more talented than us, actually I thought they were less talented - they simply wanted that game more than us and fully punched us in the mouth - hard.

Players came out flat, coaches really didn't game plan well, all sides of the ball were failures - D (couldn't protect the edge, coaches didn't adjust) & ST (awful field position all game and awful KRs & PRs) & O (coaches holding back what I consider to be a potential quick strike team). Couldn't have asked for a more complete team failure, both coaches & staff, coming off of a bye week.

However, in football sometimes you have to get your a$$ kicked to get your mojo back. We will see if the team - meaning coaches & players - mentally can come back from this. Hopefully Fort Drum training kicks in so the get back up and get back to basics. Just don't throw in the towel just yet. Go Orange.

August: "We'll be lucky to win 5 games this year. Shafer needs one more good recruiting class to get us competitive"

September: "We're 3-1. We should win 7-8 games easily this year. Give Shafer an extension NOW"

October: "We're 3-2. We won't win another game this year. Fire Shafer NOW"

I can't wait for November. Fans will think we'll either be in the National Title hunt, or we'll be begging the Patriot League for admission. :p

orangeinjersey said:

I guess that depends on your usage of "many". For example, we have just as many wins as last year.

August: "We'll be lucky to win 5 games this year. Shafer needs one more good recruiting class to get us competitive"

September: "We're 3-1. We should win 7-8 games easily this year. Give Shafer an extension NOW"

I can't wait for November. Fans will think we'll either be in the National Title hunt, or we'll be begging the Patriot League for admission. :p

Hey now, I've always thought we would be lucky to win 5 games this year! Don't I get points for being consistent? ;)

if USF and UVA arent wins on your schedule, then there aren't many wins on the schedule.
SU may come ready to play inspired football next Saturday but we could still easily lose. Our D is that bad. And it will be the team's 1st true road game.

Finwad32 said:
Why aren't there many wins on the schedule? Law of transitive properties? You're at the complete opposite end of the spectrum as the chest thumpers, whose right? Every week is its own individual event. There's going to be growing pains offensively and defensively. There's a lot of football to be played, and a lot more before I'd be willing to make definitive judgements on W/L's.

Especially this year. Exciting freshman = inconsistent performance.

I don't think their are that many big takeaways week to week. Overall, I think the trend is that we are better on offense with Dungey than we are on defense.

That's all I got.

Yeah, a bit schizoid, isn't it? :confused::D

SU may come ready to play inspired football next Saturday but we could still easily lose. Our D is that bad. And it will be the team's 1st true road game.
We may lose Saturday. Im not making any predictions after Saturday but our D looked pretty bad early last year and our D coaches and coach B had them playing well by mid season. I sure they will get better. How much better is the key.

We fans, myself included, truly need to take things week to week. I'm an eternal optimist and post as such but truly don;t know what to expect week to week nor does anyone on the lower slope of the roller coaster.

Pretty much buckle up, hope our game plan is sound, and hope the team plays fundamentally sound football. We missed on both parts last weekend but could just as easily come out on fire this week or crap the bed once again. Pretty manic state at the moment but nothing should really come as surprise at this point.

Speak for yourself.

Yeah, posters who were predicting a win by 3 or 4 TDs on the road are delusional.

But who knows what happens if Whitner doesn't commit that incredibly stupid penalty.

We had scored touchdowns on our previous 3 drives including drives of 72 and 75 yards.

Without that penalty, we get the ball back down 7...instead we go down by 2 TDs again. That is deflating.

I am extremely encouraged. I think the ceiling on Dungey is very high and when a program has a good QB, it makes all the difference in the world. For a kid who only played in his 3rd college game, he had a he!!uva game.

The talent is getting better and so is the program.

Speak for yourself.

Yeah, posters who were predicting a win by 3 or 4 TDs on the road are delusional.

But who knows what happens if Whitner doesn't commit that incredibly stupid penalty.

We had scored touchdowns on our previous 3 drives including drives of 72 and 75 yards.

Without that penalty, we get the ball back down 7...instead we go down by 2 TDs again. That is deflating.

I am extremely encouraged. I think the ceiling on Dungey is very high and when a program has a good QB, it makes all the difference in the world. For a kid who only played in his 3rd college game, he had a he!!uva game.

A loss is a loss. If we can't beat USF and uva, I'm not sure how you can think we're going to beat anyone else on the schedule. If the team is that inconsistent, than maybe coaching is the problem

A loss is a loss. If we can't beat USF and uva, I'm not sure how you can think we're going to beat anyone else on the schedule. If the team is that inconsistent, than maybe coaching is the problem

With the exception of FSU and Clemson, we can beat anyone else on the schedule and we can also lose to anyone. We could even beat those two schools but that would be a real outlier.

That is what happens when you don't possess an overwhelming superiority in talent.

You need to bring your A game every time or you will get beat.

Nobody brings their A game all the time and younger teams, such as ours, are even more inconsistent.

The reality is we are probably closer to what we saw against usf, than we are against Lsu. We all overreacted to the Lsu game, myself included. We are going to to have to fight like hell just to get a 6th win, which is an indictment of where our program is.

The reality is we are probably closer to what we saw against usf, than we are against Lsu. We all overreacted to the Lsu game, myself included. We are going to to have to fight like hell just to get a 6th win, which is an indictment of where our program is.

It's just as plausible that people are overreacting in the other direction because of the performance against USF. We've had more good games than bad games this year.

Speak for yourself.

I am a casual Cuse football fan. Seems that we are becoming more of a 3 star consistent talent team and that is a step up the food chain. In some years we can get into no-name bowls and even win those bowls, but imagine if our basketball team were composed of 3 star players? We would generally be a bubble team. The promised land in football still seems far away. Please save the argument that star ratings are meaningless. In any particular case they are meaningless but in aggregate they are meaningful. We need to take recruiting up another notch if we are to become relevant.

tep624 said:
It's just as plausible that people are overreacting in the other direction because of the performance against USF. We've had more good games than bad games this year.

Yep. I'd bet we are seeing what happens when you play this much youth.

The highs are higher and the lows lower.

We got one fumble recovery against USF. Got USF into several 3rd and longs, but did not get the stops. Right there is what needs to change.
The defense need to make some luck (picks, sacks); specials need to contribute even more. We are going to be underdogs in every game (maybe for the rest of the season), so defense and specials need to make some breaks.

Last edited:
Some of us were already in reality. 1st road game in sweltering conditions, true frosh QB coming off a concussion in his first road game EVER, etc. I admit I never expected the defense to get torched as bad as they did, but rather than throw in the towel on the season realize that this is college football, Dungey is talented but young, and will play like it sometimes. The defense will get critical turnovers is some games, not in others. Every week is a new chapter in college football, you guys thinking you know how the book is going to end after reading every chapter are going to realize that's now how this works. Transitive properties of college football have been showed to be non-existent. Games are ALL played for a reason. We still have 7 left to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom