This team has the talent to be a bowl team, but... | Syracusefan.com

This team has the talent to be a bowl team, but...

Crusty

Living Legend
...the staff has not.
IMO this team could have 5 wins at this point, needing only one more to qualify. The staff blew two games back-to-back in the exact same manner.

Players know when they screw up and they know when their coaches do as well I have been on enough teams to know that losing can be a diseaes. Regardless of how close a team is, the whispers will start and then it can be irretrievable.

If the staff snatches defeat from the jaws of victory again, they may lose the team and then Coyls's decision will have been made for him.

As we all know one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Seems to me Shafer needs to understand his weaknesses and do something different. IMO he needs to delegate the clock management to Lester, who has several years of experience.

Assuming he survives, Shafe needs to get rid of Reed. Another year of this secondary and that will be all she wrote. It is simply not credible to maintain the staff as is.

...the staff has not.
IMO this team could have 5 wins at this point, needing only one more to qualify. The staff blew two games back-to-back in the exact same manner.

Players know when they screw up and they know when their coaches do as well I have been on enough teams to know that losing can be a diseaes. Regardless of how close a team is, the whispers will start and then it can be irretrievable.

If the staff snatches defeat from the jaws of victory again, they may lose the team and then Coyls's decision will have been made for him.

As we all know one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Seems to me Shafer needs to understand his weaknesses and do something different. IMO he needs to delegate the clock management to Lester, who has several years of experience.

Assuming he survives, Shafe needs to get rid of Reed. Another year of this secondary and that will be all she wrote. It is simply not credible to maintain the staff as is.

...the staff has not.

All things considered, I would have much more confidence in the staff right now if we lived and died by the sword. Meaning, stop trying to be cute and 'gotcha' with decisions at critical moments and leave it up to the kids to execute. If they fail, at least we can look at that as an area that will improve with experience. I just don't like seeing these types of decisions happen, and ultimately backfire, and take the way the game is decided out of the kids' hands. It is not fair to them or us.

USF was on the players, specifically Whitner. But he's a freshman and that type of stuff, as frustrating as it is, happens with freshman. UVA, Pitt and FSU (not to say we would have won anyway) are on the staff IMO. Yes there were some player errors in those games, but it's up to our experienced staff to make decisions that help to offset those, not ones that pile on.

At this point, whatever Shafer feels he should do in a situation, let's try the opposite.
I had a coworker that served this purpose. The guy just had a moral compass that pointed south. He was extremely valuable, because if the rest of us weren't sure what to do, we'd just ask him what he'd do, and then eliminate whatever he suggested and figure it out from there.

Please note - I am not suggesting that's Shafer. Just wanted to share a funny anecdote.

I had a coworker that served this purpose. The guy just had a moral compass that pointed south. He was extremely valuable, because if the rest of us weren't sure what to do, we'd just ask him what he'd do, and then eliminate whatever he suggested and figure it out from there.

Please note - I am not suggesting that's Shafer. Just wanted to share a funny anecdote.
we do that with you on the other board

Crusty said:
...the staff has not. IMO this team could have 5 wins at this point, needing only one more to qualify. The staff blew two games back-to-back in the exact same manner. Players know when they screw up and they know when their coaches do as well I have been on enough teams to know that losing can be a diseaes. Regardless of how close a team is, the whispers will start and then it can be irretrievable. If the staff snatches defeat from the jaws of victory again, they may lose the team and then Coyls's decision will have been made for him. As we all know one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Seems to me Shafer needs to understand his weaknesses and do something different. IMO he needs to delegate the clock management to Lester, who has several years of experience. Assuming he survives, Shafe needs to get rid of Reed. Another year of this secondary and that will be all she wrote. It is simply not credible to maintain the staff as is.
kind of hard to blame it on Reed when the DL isn't getting penetration and the DBs are out on an island.

kind of hard to blame it on Reed when the DL isn't getting penetration and the DBs are out on an island.
We play mostly zone so nobody is "on an island". Besides, the secondary has to do their job properly. Being out of position, missing assignments, poor technique and bad tackling has nothing to do with the D Line. After three years that is coaching in my view.

“I want the complete opposite of tuna on toast: chicken salad on rye, untoasted, with a side of potato salad and a cup of tea!”

G.C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom