Thompson's future | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thompson's future

For sure, but nearly every talented NBA type needs to be taught how to work in college, especially at a funny system school like SU.

For a couple years I was concerned what would happen when Keitas and Triches graduated out - would we continue to build on the good foundation that the 2009-2010 group built? Would our youngsters learn from the winning example set by vets?

My concerns have been realized. I don't blame the young guys, I don't blame the vets, but we've lost all our momentum. The system is no longer moving itself in the right direction. It's 2008 all over again, minus all the good recruits in the pipeline.

I've been saying it since I joined with my concerns and was ridiculed. I have like a bunch of guys who've come in but there were a lot of obvious head scratchers when looking at the depth and the incoming talent, especially at key positions.

We truly lucked out getting Gillon and White this year and I'm very concerned if we have to go that route again to fill 2 starting spots. Gillon and White where huge this year, without them and a league average replacement and we don't hit .500 based on what was built around them.

Did you see Fab play his freshman year? Or Etan Thomas? Or going way back, Rony Seikaly? All were bad defensive players who were always out of position. They worked hard and eventually the light went on and they got it. No reason TT can't develop as well.

Difference being they worked hard. Etan Thomas was fouling out because he was too aggressive. Fab too.

Taurean has no interest in being active, long or strong defensively. All he's interested is dribbling the ball (off his foot) and shooting.

Did you see Fab play his freshman year? Or Etan Thomas? Or going way back, Rony Seikaly? All were bad defensive players who were always out of position. They worked hard and eventually the light went on and they got it. No reason TT can't develop as well.
Etan and Rony always gave effort. TT does not.

Sorry - he may be skilled but he's not a winning player.

Lazy and doesn't care on defense.

Unless his attitude changes, the team's defense won't change as long as he's playing.

I have come up with a phrase for TTs defensive effort: Heavy footed, 3rd level fan off the street defense.

i'm not even going to say a lack of effort. i don't think he's been taught the fundamentals of low post D.
i really like Tsquare as a player. he just needs to learn to get better on both ends.

i'm not even going to say a lack of effort. i don't think he's been taught the fundamentals of low post D.
i really like Tsquare as a player. he just needs to learn to get better on both ends.

I thought the problem was lack of effort, but every so often there's a situation that exposes just how unathletic Thompson is. So it's likely that that's the real problem. Easy to look lazy when you just don't move as well as the other 9 guys.

I thought the problem was lack of effort, but every so often there's a situation that exposes just how unathletic Thompson is. So it's likely that that's the real problem. Easy to look lazy when you just don't move as well as the other 9 guys.
a little knowledge will gain you 2 steps.

There are several aspects of TT's game that need improvement but one of the biggest is body language. Watching him shake his head and jog down court is maddening.
Who's responsible for coaching body language on JB's staff? They've been doing a terrible job for as long as I can remember.

We haven't had a rookie 5 with his offensive skill-set and touch around the rim in almost 25 years.

He'll never be a brick wall in the zone but if he can learn the slides, he'll be serviceable on defense. If he doesn't get more aggressive on the boards with more weight then I'll be shocked.

I think JB should bench anyone who doesn't raise their arms on D. It's the most important thing in our system.

You don't need to be quick on your feet to raise your hands or extend your arms or crouch down in a low defensive position.

Also, did anyone see him jogging back to the defensive end after he made a blatant mistake in the second half? There was a dead ball and all nine guys were in the front court and he was literally walking back.

Infuriating.

You guys are all making excuses for him. He did not try on defense. He played high school basketball at St. Anthony's in NJ for Bob Hurley. You don't think he's been coached defense?!?!

Who's responsible for coaching body language on JB's staff? They've been doing a terrible job for as long as I can remember.

Comes from the top.

What bothers me about TT is that he doesn't compete. There's no fight in him on defense or wanting to rebound at either end of the floor. He still hasn't figured out how much eff0rt and intensity he needs to put out at this level. He has no motor which compounds his lack of effort. How many put backs has he had this year? He only gets rebounds that fall into his hands. He's about as soft as you can get on the defensive end. If you need to coach effort, you will lose with players like that. He plays like a mama's boy. He's been coddled his whole life.

Why am I not surprised you'd take that seriously?

Given your posting history with me I just assume every one of your posts directed at me has a needle attached to it.

Given your posting history with me I just assume every one of your posts directed at me has a needle attached to it.
Don't flatter yourself. I don't reserve the needle just for you.

Don't flatter yourself. I don't reserve the needle just for you.

Nah but the one you use on me is getting dull due to overuse. Need to get it sharpened. ;)

Y'all must be kidding me with your Thompson love. Watching the game right now. Just about 2 minutes left in the first half. That "back to the basket move" by Thompson was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. There are two kids on my son's 8th grade squad with better fundamentals.

I think he's going pro with Robertson Howard and Lydon. This team was one of the worst SUteams in recent memory. Thank god for White and Gillion. What would be our record if we had to play Howard and Robertson ( who else is left) 40 minutes a game?

Oh forgot about our world class getting cats out of trees center Chuwuwuwu

I think he's going pro with Robertson Howard and Lydon. This team was one of the worst SUteams in recent memory. Thank god for White and Gillion. What would be our record if we had to play Howard and Robertson ( who else is left) 40 minutes a game?

Who is this guy Robertson you speak of?

There is no Robertson on our team. Jesus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom