Thoughts on Colgate and moving forward | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Colgate and moving forward

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Pretty good opening performance for the team outside of the D which was out of sorts way to much but when you replace two starters and the third leaves early that will happen. Lots of positive and some negatives I wanted to touch on.

Biggest thing I took away from this weekend is how daunting this schedule is going to be after Bingo. Army absolutely dusted an overrated Umass team and Hobart probably could have put up 35 on a really bad Canisius team. Both bring potent offenses to the Dome which the D will need to be ready for or we could be in for a wild ride in February. Army especially looks daunting (though their game vs Rutty this weekend will tell us a lot more). Hopkins flashed some young talent, UVA looked as good as ever offensively (zone O needs work) and Duke showed its still Duke. Two other future opponents play each other on Sat when Cornell travels to Albany in god knows what kind of weather. Important game for both teams especially Cornell with their daunting schedule.

Anyway back to the team that counts. Offensively I thought we played pretty well after coming out to anxious to try and score in the first few minutes. We only had a few real bad possession from what I could recall and it also didn't seem like March was opening the playbook if you catch my drift. Scanlan adds a unique offensive set we haven't seen in a while. Reminds me a little bit of Bomberry when he was at Denver in that he has an excellent midrange game ala a middie but is a hell of a better dodger then Bomberry and has the shot location and moves of someone like Mariano and Salcido. Just seems to be at the right place a lot and seemed so comfortable taking those shots even though he was wide open on a few of them. I though Cook played fine, he didn't turn the ball over, played within himself and didn't look to do to much. As someone else noted the spacing on his dodges wasn't the best and a few times he ran into another players defender because of the lack of room but the confidence is night and day and his riding is the best since Ryan Powell. SU forced at least 5 or 6 violations on the clear which was great to see and several led to goals.

I thought Rehfuss was excellent but as I believe Powellfan noted I think with him its always been the consistency that worries you. He would have a big game like this (7 assists) and then not have that many the rest of the month. I think with Scanlan drawing so much attention he can play that #2 or #3 role that he excels at. I have to admit I wonder what the attack unit would look like if Zawada hadn't de-committed at the last minute but its hard to argue that this current attack unit doesn't have a ton of potential if Cook and Rehfuss bring it every week. Shout out to Seebold as well who not only got a goal but was a one man keep away machine against Colgate, due took a beating and didn't turn it over. I still don't know if he will ever see meaningful minutes here but that was impressive and he may have found himself a late game role.

From a midfield standpoint the depth of this unit was on display big time. When guys like Fiorini, Kim and Magnan can't even see the field you know there is a lot going on in front of them. I thought Dordevic pressed early but then settled in and played within himself. He made a nice save on one of his shots and Dordevic shot wide on a wide open look late in the first half but once he breaks the ice I expect he will have a few monster games. Trimboli was excellent, dude is nearly automatic when he has time and room and has a knack of getting himself open for step downs. He get's overshadowed a bit but we will definitely miss him next year. Curry was Curry, two real nice goals but long periods where you didn't know he was on the field. Hard to stand out all the time with this much talent and only one ball but he has so much talent I just feel like were leaving to much meat on the bone so to speak.

Second mid line was just as productive as the 1st and have some real scorers on it. Buttermore is one of my favorite players and would be on the 1st mid line and literally any other college in the country. I still get sick that he didn't redshirt his frosh year, imagine two more years of him on this team versus just one. Speaking of Buttermore I think he has to get at least 1 run with the 1st line mids a quarter. I hate to bump anyone from that line but him with a short stick is such a mismatch. Quinn finally broke out and looked like the UA we signed a few years ago. He looked comfortable and confident and clearly not afraid to shoot. My only concern is that he doesn't get to shot happy like last year versus Colgate, but he was definitely impressive. Lipka drew the pole a lot but was able to get free for multiple looks but couldn't put anything on cage. He struggled with this last year to in some games and I think its just his MO, hes either on (see that goal against Army last year to seal it) or he's way off. Coming back from injury he has some rust to shake off obviously but that 2nd line is Dangerous and hast multiple different skill sets. Unfortunately we didn't get to see the third line which I assume is Kim, Fiorini and Magnan. Hopefully they get a lot of run Sat as I don't see many more opportunities after that game.

Not going to get into a long diatribe but clearly the defense was not good. Mellen was uncharacteristically beat on a few speed dodges and even Dearth got scored on trying to check over the top. I haven't re-watched the game yet but if I can recall correctly (Ivory and laxsummit feel free to correct me) the main guy who hurt us in the 2nd half was their top middie and even with the pole he was still doing damage. Not a great game for Fernandez who unlikely Kennedy isn't a real big guy. I thought Helmer played pretty well but he could have been victimized a few times late in the half as well. Colgate got a few goals off of fast re-starts and obviously the man down unit was a disaster so that takes some sting out of the overall D performance. Kennedy looked good at close, Colgate's main guy had I think 1 goal and that may have been after they switched Kennedy onto Mellen's guy, he looks like a lockdown guy out there for sure. I didn't see enough of Dipetro to give a full review so hopefully someone else can do that. Murphy looked decent from what I saw but again I would defer. I thought Aviles looked very promising and appeared to play a good amount. I though Barlow was very active and got some runs on the wings. Drake had a few of his ridiculous door stop saves but struggled a bit on some deeper looks I thought he should have made a save on but you could say that about 95% of the goalies in D1. Low shots are still an issue but he's going to have some monster games this year you just know it.

Assuming Mellen's injury isn't overly serious and Dami is back this or next week we should hopefully see everyone back at full strength by Army. I think with it being the first game for a new lineup guys were out of sorts a bit and we looked less athletic then we really are. Kennedy was definitely missed at LSM but he can't be two places at once and I think will ultimately be more valuable at close especially if Mellen is out for any period. One thing the staff may want to look at is giving Helmer the start at LSM and using Fernandez as the backup. Dearth looked like Matt Abbott on clear and was his usual terrorizing self.

From an intangible standpoint its hard to tell how much SU put out in this game. Not taking anything away from Colgate who played well on offense but you didn't get the picture SU was really showing all that much. SU subbed the second line pretty much every other possession and was running a bunch of SSDM's. Still that doesn't excuse the overall D performance and the Mellen injury/play was concerning. Offense will be tested more in the second half of the schedule but early returns are very positive. Phaup was outstanding at the X and the wing play I though got better in the second half but was a bit spotty. We don't seem settled on who we want on the wings yet. Varello wasn't bad but hes the Lax version of Paul Harris in that its always one step forward one back with him. He had 3 or 4 violations and GB's continue to be a major issue. He also seems to just lose track of the ball on some draws even when he has won the direction of it. Still he looked better in the later part of the game and we will need him for sure as Colgate tried to be as physical as possible with Phaup and I expect other teams will follow suit.

Bingo should give the team one last chance to work out the kinks and then its pretty much a top 20 schedule for the remaining 10 games. Most know I am no fan of only playing 12 teams and I think we over scheduled yet again but it is what it is. The Army game in two weeks is really setting up to be a dandy and a game SU needs to win when you look at what the backside of the schedule is shaping up to be. That said lets hope for a big scoreboard win Sat and plenty of PT for the young guys.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention the man up unit. I don't have a huge issue with going with the starters but I don't see how you can leave off Buttermore. He is clearly our best outside shooter and can rip with either hand. He makes a lot more sense on the man up unit then Curry if I am being honest. I don't know who the regular lax reporters are at the weekly Desko PC but if anyone knows post their name and let's see if we can get them to ask Desko about it. It's mind-boggling he's not on the man up unit, mind boggling.

Last edited:
Well done as always Jeremy. Have my fair share of thoughts as well but for now will say I'm in total agreement with Buttermore on man up at this point. My top candidate for who he should replace is Dordevic. For some reason we had him operating on the left side. Shooting accuracy and general finesse are relatively weak aspects of his game (he isn't terrible there and more than makes up for it with his dodging ability, which most teams would kill to have, but still). He also doesn't appear to have quite the same ability with his left hand as his right, which he favors. Meanwhile Buttermore has clearly proven that he is a lethal shooter with both hands. His underhand shot with his left hand is Mac O'Keefe like (you may recall his snipe against Hopkins last year among others). I love Dordevic but think there is no way that he can operate more effectively than Buttermore on the left side on man up.

Great recap.

I wonder about the red shirt thing...if you aren't getting a full scholarship what is the real benefit for you as a student athlete? You have to pay an extra year of college tuition for what to watch others play. I guess if you are getting your masters degree it might make sense. Personally, I would want to play right away even if it was not full minutes that have to fork out more money for tuition. Can't really blame the staff if Buttermore wanted to play right away instead of a RS.

Another note on the game, felt weird to not see Kevin Donahue on the sidelines shuttling guys in and out of the field, talking about shot selections, showing faceoff techniques, wearing that floppy hat, and just rapping with Desko. Thanks for your dedication to the program. Definitely was missed by this long time diehard fan!

For all of those who call for Desko to get fired...you have to admit it will be very strange the day that he is also not on the sidelines. Syracuse has had 3 coaches in its entire history. That is very cool. 2 of the former HCs are father and son and the other is a former player and long time assistant. When the time comes (retirement or otherwise) it will feel very strange to see a new staff out pacing near the box.

Appreciate how much the players seemed to enjoy each other the field. Feels like that has always been a special part of Syracuse Lacrosse. Our guys with a few years exception always seem like they have good chemistry. Scalon looked very comfortable and at peace with his decision. The team really took to him also. Always good to see and easy when you are up. I just thought it was an old school effort.

I have been burned before by these offensive amazing starts against lower level opponents. I think it was Sienna the other year when I thought to myself the run and gun is back. Let's stomp Bingo and see where things stand after Army.

Enjoy reading Jeremy and others takes on the game. Bored at work finishing up a monday afternoon with a post GO ORANGE

Kennedy was definitely missed at LSM but he can't be two places at once and I think will ultimately be more valuable at close especially if Mellen is out for any period.

Good stuff Jeremy. I think this is a really important issue facing the defense, because I think they want Kennedy to be two places at once, that's why they are starting him at close and making him play the wings on face-offs and supposedly having him play part time LSM (I didn't see him do this against Colgate). But I think its really important for the staff to solidify the defense as soon as possible. I think all of the individual pieces are good, even the backups, but they need to play as a unit. If guys don't know what their actual roles are, at this point in the season, I don't know if the unit will actually get better. They've had fall ball and three spring scrimmages, the time for experimenting really should be over. They are going to wear Kennedy out and all the shifting from wing to close is going to get taxing.

I think Fernadez had a rough game yesterday, I think he only finished with one GB, had a bad penalty and also didn't look great 1v1. I was hoping to see him back to his freshmen year skill level but he still looked a little off on Saturday. Maybe it was just a bad game, but I think the SU defense is better off with Kennedy at pole and Murphy at close. I just don't trust Fernadez to cover the Aitkins or Costibles of the world.

Pretty good opening performance for the team outside of the D which was out of sorts way to much but when you replace two starters and the third leaves early that will happen. Lots of positive and some negatives I wanted to touch on.

Biggest thing I took away from this weekend is how daunting this schedule is going to be after Bingo. Army absolutely dusted an overrated Umass team and Hobart probably could have put up 35 on a really bad Canisius team. Both bring potent offenses to the Dome which the D will need to be ready for or we could be in for a wild ride in February. Army especially looks daunting (though their game vs Rutty this weekend will tell us a lot more). Hopkins flashed some young talent, UVA looked as good as ever offensively (zone O needs work) and Duke showed its still Duke. Two other future opponents play each other on Sat when Cornell travels to Albany in god knows what kind of weather. Important game for both teams especially Cornell with their daunting schedule.

Anyway back to the team that counts. Offensively I thought we played pretty well after coming out to anxious to try and score in the first few minutes. We only had a few real bad possession from what I could recall and it also didn't seem like March was opening the playbook if you catch my drift. Scanlan adds a unique offensive set we haven't seen in a while. Reminds me a little bit of Bomberry when he was at Denver in that he has an excellent midrange game ala a middie but is a hell of a better dodger then Bomberry and has the shot location and moves of someone like Mariano and Salcido. Just seems to be at the right place a lot and seemed so comfortable taking those shots even though he was wide open on a few of them. I though Cook played fine, he didn't turn the ball over, played within himself and didn't look to do to much. As someone else noted the spacing on his dodges wasn't the best and a few times he ran into another players defender because of the lack of room but the confidence is night and day and his riding is the best since Ryan Powell. SU forced at least 5 or 6 violations on the clear which was great to see and several led to goals.

I thought Rehfuss was excellent but as I believe Powellfan noted I think with him its always been the consistency that worries you. He would have a big game like this (7 assists) and then not have that many the rest of the month. I think with Scanlan drawing so much attention he can play that #2 or #3 role that he excels at. I have to admit I wonder what the attack unit would look like if Zawada hadn't de-committed at the last minute but its hard to argue that this current attack unit doesn't have a ton of potential if Cook and Rehfuss bring it every week. Shout out to Seebold as well who not only got a goal but was a one man keep away machine against Colgate, due took a beating and didn't turn it over. I still don't know if he will ever see meaningful minutes here but that was impressive and he may have found himself a late game role.

From a midfield standpoint the depth of this unit was on display big time. When guys like Fiorini, Kim and Magnan can't even see the field you know there is a lot going on in front of them. I thought Dordevic pressed early but then settled in and played within himself. He made a nice save on one of his shots and Dordevic shot wide on a wide open look late in the first half but once he breaks the ice I expect he will have a few monster games. Trimboli was excellent, dude is nearly automatic when he has time and room and has a knack of getting himself open for step downs. He get's overshadowed a bit but we will definitely miss him next year. Curry was Curry, two real nice goals but long periods where you didn't know he was on the field. Hard to stand out all the time with this much talent and only one ball but he has so much talent I just feel like were leaving to much meat on the bone so to speak.

Second mid line was just as productive as the 1st and have some real scorers on it. Buttermore is one of my favorite players and would be on the 1st mid line and literally any other college in the country. I still get sick that he didn't redshirt his frosh year, imagine two more years of him on this team versus just one. Speaking of Buttermore I think he has to get at least 1 run with the 1st line mids a quarter. I hate to bump anyone from that line but him with a short stick is such a mismatch. Quinn finally broke out and looked like the UA we signed a few years ago. He looked comfortable and confident and clearly not afraid to shoot. My only concern is that he doesn't get to shot happy like last year versus Colgate, but he was definitely impressive. Lipka drew the pole a lot but was able to get free for multiple looks but couldn't put anything on cage. He struggled with this last year to in some games and I think its just his MO, hes either on (see that goal against Army last year to seal it) or he's way off. Coming back from injury he has some rust to shake off obviously but that 2nd line is Dangerous and hast multiple different skill sets. Unfortunately we didn't get to see the third line which I assume is Kim, Fiorini and Magnan. Hopefully they get a lot of run Sat as I don't see many more opportunities after that game.

Not going to get into a long diatribe but clearly the defense was not good. Mellen was uncharacteristically beat on a few speed dodges and even Dearth got scored on trying to check over the top. I haven't re-watched the game yet but if I can recall correctly (Ivory and laxsummit feel free to correct me) the main guy who hurt us in the 2nd half was their top middie and even with the pole he was still doing damage. Not a great game for Fernandez who unlikely Kennedy isn't a real big guy. I thought Helmer played pretty well but he could have been victimized a few times late in the half as well. Colgate got a few goals off of fast re-starts and obviously the man down unit was a disaster so that takes some sting out of the overall D performance. Kennedy looked good at close, Colgate's main guy had I think 1 goal and that may have been after they switched Kennedy onto Mellen's guy, he looks like a lockdown guy out there for sure. I didn't see enough of Dipetro to give a full review so hopefully someone else can do that. Murphy looked decent from what I saw but again I would defer. I thought Aviles looked very promising and appeared to play a good amount. I though Barlow was very active and got some runs on the wings. Drake had a few of his ridiculous door stop saves but struggled a bit on some deeper looks I thought he should have made a save on but you could say that about 95% of the goalies in D1. Low shots are still an issue but he's going to have some monster games this year you just know it.

Assuming Mellen's injury isn't overly serious and Dami is back this or next week we should hopefully see everyone back at full strength by Army. I think with it being the first game for a new lineup guys were out of sorts a bit and we looked less athletic then we really are. Kennedy was definitely missed at LSM but he can't be two places at once and I think will ultimately be more valuable at close especially if Mellen is out for any period. One thing the staff may want to look at is giving Helmer the start at LSM and using Fernandez as the backup. Dearth looked like Matt Abbott on clear and was his usual terrorizing self.

From an intangible standpoint its hard to tell how much SU put out in this game. Not taking anything away from Colgate who played well on offense but you didn't get the picture SU was really showing all that much. SU subbed the second line pretty much every other possession and was running a bunch of SSDM's. Still that doesn't excuse the overall D performance and the Mellen injury/play was concerning. Offense will be tested more in the second half of the schedule but early returns are very positive. Phaup was outstanding at the X and the wing play I though got better in the second half but was a bit spotty. We don't seem settled on who we want on the wings yet. Varello wasn't bad but hes the Lax version of Paul Harris in that its always one step forward one back with him. He had 3 or 4 violations and GB's continue to be a major issue. He also seems to just lose track of the ball on some draws even when he has won the direction of it. Still he looked better in the later part of the game and we will need him for sure as Colgate tried to be as physical as possible with Phaup and I expect other teams will follow suit.

Bingo should give the team one last chance to work out the kinks and then its pretty much a top 20 schedule for the remaining 10 games. Most know I am no fan of only playing 12 teams and I think we over scheduled yet again but it is what it is. The Army game in two weeks is really setting up to be a dandy and a game SU needs to win when you look at what the backside of the schedule is shaping up to be. That said lets hope for a big scoreboard win Sat and plenty of PT for the young guys.
I think Mellen has always had trouble with strong, heavier guys. Brown is a good veteran player who did not even lose an inch or a step when Mellen weakly tapped him on moves across the middle. Spencer was a big strong dude who hardly noticed Mellen last year. Real concern: Mellen was at least a step behind Brown who is no speedster. As Kennedy demonstrated, Mellen was on the wrong guy. Mellen's no Mullen or Lade, but very effective against smaller, quicker, more creative attacks. He still seems reluctant to take the ball up the field. Looks to pass whenever he gets it. Not bad, but shows his limitations.

A few thoughts rite or wrong. Beardsley pointed out how our coaches had us drop back to forty and exasperate their weakness in clearing. That resulted in turnovers that led to some easy goals which settled us offensively after their goalie was making some good low saves on shots that were far out at start . Our attack was very good last year but this group has better foot speed and they ride well with Cook establishing the tone , very underrated facet which UVA attack excels at. Makes a difference, noted effort of Refhuss and Scanlan there beyond their offensive exploits. Two lines of mids with ability of all to score will be a problem to even good defenses as long as individuals stick to the moving concepts preached . Signs are good most will. Scanlan or Cook can go scoreless in a game and they will still contribute., Agree on Buttermore arsenal on man up. Mids cant always get off field when possessions change so bears watching on /off switches and their two way play if they stay on since they become part of team d. Did notice some differences there ... Helmer and Murphy moved to need and were aggressive and played well but now need Dami to return healthy as 2nd dm and fill well. That position is tough to excel at without length or experience . Aviles will be a good two way mid but need Barlow to further play. given size. Our defensive players are solidly built and athletic but D as whole not as large as most and that deficiency can and will be exploited at times. Fernandez a pest up top but will need to go big at a few spots on occasion and rather establish alignments so responsibilities best understood than jockeying many up and down. Understand reasoning and tradeoffs but miss Kennedy/ Fernandez lsm combo. 22-22 on clears and Dearth a beast on those but value and miss Kennedy dimension in transition that unsettles .Guess coaches figure team has enough o weapons. ... Lot of changes, new positions can take time to learn/relearn and defensive positioning was slightly off at times and that is all it takes for any d1 offense. Have a few with ability to press out but weak side to ball could drop in more and Beardslety noted need to play topside to force away from middle. To their credit , Colgate executed well on man up but man down needs work . All correctable. Petevich and Caddigan didn't get on board till fourth. Shutdown defender is too loose a definition since no defender actually does .Take for granted that Mellen will limit his mark but the best defenders have troubles at times. No worries about him other than health.

I think Mellen has always had trouble with strong, heavier guys. Brown is a good veteran player who did not even lose an inch or a step when Mellen weakly tapped him on moves across the middle. Spencer was a big strong dude who hardly noticed Mellen last year. Real concern: Mellen was at least a step behind Brown who is no speedster. As Kennedy demonstrated, Mellen was on the wrong guy. Mellen's no Mullen or Lade, but very effective against smaller, quicker, more creative attacks. He still seems reluctant to take the ball up the field. Looks to pass whenever he gets it. Not bad, but shows his limitations.
Well said Sholokov. I had similar thoughts watching the game and recap video. On one of Brown's goals, where he came across the top, he just fired his shot over and around Mellen--pegged the top corner too. Brown couldn't do that to Kennedy.

Let's hope that Mellen is healthy and back soon. He's as good as any at position..

In Mellen’s defense, Brown was actually quite a fast/explosive dodger. He honestly looked about as fast as anyone Mellen will face this year, as surprising as that sounds. I agree that Mellen should able to push around a guy who is Brown's size. If what people have said about his weight room prowess is true, then he should be able to take the body with guys like Brown. Going to write this off as a bad game for Mellen due to his past success in similar matchups.

Bucaro scorched Fake for eight, Walker torched Gile Harris for six on one of his few straight up matchups agaisnt a one, Spencer lit up Sabia for eight. Yale and UVA attackman tooled all defenses. Sometimes goals are scored despite good d , sometimes prime defenders aren't even assigned the #1's because it's not the right matchup .Cuse also plays more m2m than many who play more zone. Brown is a fast converted mid, he had scored four ( one not counted ) agaisnt UNC the previous game. He's good player .Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Bucaro scorched Fake for eight, Walker torched Gile Harris for six on one of his few straight up matchups agaisnt a one, Spencer lit up Sabia for eight. Yale and UVA attackman tooled all defenses. Sometimes goals are scored despite good d , sometimes prime defenders aren't even assigned the #1's because it's not the right matchup .Cuse also plays more m2m than many who play more zone. Brown is a fast converted mid, he had scored four ( one not counted ) agaisnt UNC the previous game. He's good player .Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Well said

I'm with those who think Mellen just had a bad game. He was getting burned pretty badly by Brown and I do not think it was injury related. He will shake off and adjust.

More concerning was the lack of a D slide package. The skip pass through the middle caught the D ball watching and getting smoked back door on the pipe. Appeared as though a decision was made to press out and defend on the island which worked at times, but once the ball started to spin we were caught ball watching. Hoping this is just a function of early going and need for better communication as a unit because we won't get 21 once the road ahead gets more complicated and the NDs/UVAs etc will pick apart an island D.

Well done as always Jeremy. Have my fair share of thoughts as well but for now will say I'm in total agreement with Buttermore on man up at this point. My top candidate for who he should replace is Dordevic. For some reason we had him operating on the left side. Shooting accuracy and general finesse are relatively weak aspects of his game (he isn't terrible there and more than makes up for it with his dodging ability, which most teams would kill to have, but still). He also doesn't appear to have quite the same ability with his left hand as his right, which he favors. Meanwhile Buttermore has clearly proven that he is a lethal shooter with both hands. His underhand shot with his left hand is Mac O'Keefe like (you may recall his snipe against Hopkins last year among others). I love Dordevic but think there is no way that he can operate more effectively than Buttermore on the left side on man up.

You make a good point about Dordevic being the guy to be replaced. He and Curry are similar players in that both can be lethal dodgers but Curry's is more speed related which is why I picked him as that is harder to do against a packed in man down zone but I definitely get your point. I think the key is simply getting Buttermore on the field regardless of who they take of as long as its not Trimbo or Scanlan. He is as you noted such a weapon from pretty much anywhere on the field I just don't see how the staff can leave him off. Really hope one of the local reporters will pick up on this and ask Desko but I won't hold my breath after watching some of the questions after the 1st game.

Great recap.

I wonder about the red shirt thing...if you aren't getting a full scholarship what is the real benefit for you as a student athlete? You have to pay an extra year of college tuition for what to watch others play. I guess if you are getting your masters degree it might make sense. Personally, I would want to play right away even if it was not full minutes that have to fork out more money for tuition. Can't really blame the staff if Buttermore wanted to play right away instead of a RS.

Another note on the game, felt weird to not see Kevin Donahue on the sidelines shuttling guys in and out of the field, talking about shot selections, showing faceoff techniques, wearing that floppy hat, and just rapping with Desko. Thanks for your dedication to the program. Definitely was missed by this long time diehard fan!

For all of those who call for Desko to get fired...you have to admit it will be very strange the day that he is also not on the sidelines. Syracuse has had 3 coaches in its entire history. That is very cool. 2 of the former HCs are father and son and the other is a former player and long time assistant. When the time comes (retirement or otherwise) it will feel very strange to see a new staff out pacing near the box.

Appreciate how much the players seemed to enjoy each other the field. Feels like that has always been a special part of Syracuse Lacrosse. Our guys with a few years exception always seem like they have good chemistry. Scalon looked very comfortable and at peace with his decision. The team really took to him also. Always good to see and easy when you are up. I just thought it was an old school effort.

I have been burned before by these offensive amazing starts against lower level opponents. I think it was Sienna the other year when I thought to myself the run and gun is back. Let's stomp Bingo and see where things stand after Army.

Enjoy reading Jeremy and others takes on the game. Bored at work finishing up a monday afternoon with a post GO ORANGE

Ya a decision to red-shirt is never an easy one especially in lax when finances are usually playing a major role. Still its frustrating when you see what Buttermore was able to do in very very limited PT his frosh year and wonder what could have been, ditto for Magnan and Quinn. Offense appears to have the potential to be the best since the Rice/Galasso/Staats/Donahue year when most of those guys save for Dylan were Seniors. Definitely a long way to go though as a tough zone D could give us problems with Curry and Dordevics accuracy issues and an elite defender that could take out Scanlan are the two potential issues I could see disrupting this offense but there are so many weapons and potential line up combos its hard to see this offense not being able to find away no matter what.

Good stuff Jeremy. I think this is a really important issue facing the defense, because I think they want Kennedy to be two places at once, that's why they are starting him at close and making him play the wings on face-offs and supposedly having him play part time LSM (I didn't see him do this against Colgate). But I think its really important for the staff to solidify the defense as soon as possible. I think all of the individual pieces are good, even the backups, but they need to play as a unit. If guys don't know what their actual roles are, at this point in the season, I don't know if the unit will actually get better. They've had fall ball and three spring scrimmages, the time for experimenting really should be over. They are going to wear Kennedy out and all the shifting from wing to close is going to get taxing.

I think Fernadez had a rough game yesterday, I think he only finished with one GB, had a bad penalty and also didn't look great 1v1. I was hoping to see him back to his freshmen year skill level but he still looked a little off on Saturday. Maybe it was just a bad game, but I think the SU defense is better off with Kennedy at pole and Murphy at close. I just don't trust Fernadez to cover the Aitkins or Costibles of the world.

I to thought Fernandez struggled on Friday, was a bit disconcerning but as Ivory and Laxsummit noted its only game and you don't want to overreact either way. At this point I think the staff might want to role with Helmer as the starter at LSM as he matches up better physically and has a nasty streak. I get the point about Kennedy but I think the staff realizes he is going to close next year no matter what so why delay the inevitable and instead have to lock down potential defenders at close. It hurts a bit with him not being able to run wild at LSM up and down the field but the results are already clear that he is having an impact at close. We do need to fortify LSM and if Fernandez continues his struggles that could mean more Helmer or looking at one of the Frosh. To bad Kennedy's brother go hurt, I think he could have made an impact somewhere. I wonder if the staff would consider running Murphy at LSM if that is an option. Speed could be an issue.

I to thought Fernandez struggled on Friday, was a bit disconcerning but as Ivory and Laxsummit noted its only game and you don't want to overreact either way. At this point I think the staff might want to role with Helmer as the starter at LSM as he matches up better physically and has a nasty streak. I get the point about Kennedy but I think the staff realizes he is going to close next year no matter what so why delay the inevitable and instead have to lock down potential defenders at close. It hurts a bit with him not being able to run wild at LSM up and down the field but the results are already clear that he is having an impact at close. We do need to fortify LSM and if Fernandez continues his struggles that could mean more Helmer or looking at one of the Frosh. To bad Kennedy's brother go hurt, I think he could have made an impact somewhere. I wonder if the staff would consider running Murphy at LSM if that is an option. Speed could be an issue.
They ran DP at LSM during the fall scrimmage against Lehigh. What’s the word on Schluter? He was getting a lot of time in the fall as well.

It is difficult not to overreact to one game - but I do hope that if the defensive problems continue, Desko and the coaching staff are okaying making changes. Helmer and Murphy made a number of really good plays (just look at the Daily Orange breakdown) and it seems a bit unfair for them to be "backups".

One thing I can't help but wonder about, is, if Mellen does get another match-up that he struggles with, will Desko move Kennedy on to that matchup? He didn't do this against Loyola and it cost the Orange. Can he dent his star defender's pride to actually make a switch? I can't help but feel that in certain match-ups I feel more comfortable with Kennedy than I do with Mellen. I am probably going to look foolish in a few weeks for saying that, but it's how I feel now.

On the flip side, I don't think we really take into account the "human" side of roster building. If (big if) the man-up unit keeps under performing, will Desko be able to switch out a starter and put him on the bench? Will he risk messing up their confidence? I guess its easy for us to be armchair coaches and say "bench that guy", or "he needs to play more", but there is also a human side of this and if he takes responsibilities away from one player will that hurt other aspects of their game? If they do bump Dordevic from the man-up, will his confidence dwindle? After being on the bench for a year and now being demoted? I guess while I am advocating for the coaches not to be afraid in making changes, its also easy to forget this is a team and guys rely on much as confidence as anything else.

Anyways, lots of questions from me, very little answers, but it's early in the season.

It is difficult not to overreact to one game - but I do hope that if the defensive problems continue, Desko and the coaching staff are okaying making changes. Helmer and Murphy made a number of really good plays (just look at the Daily Orange breakdown) and it seems a bit unfair for them to be "backups".

One thing I can't help but wonder about, is, if Mellen does get another match-up that he struggles with, will Desko move Kennedy on to that matchup? He didn't do this against Loyola and it cost the Orange. Can he dent his star defender's pride to actually make a switch? I can't help but feel that in certain match-ups I feel more comfortable with Kennedy than I do with Mellen. I am probably going to look foolish in a few weeks for saying that, but it's how I feel now.

On the flip side, I don't think we really take into account the "human" side of roster building. If (big if) the man-up unit keeps under performing, will Desko be able to switch out a starter and put him on the bench? Will he risk messing up their confidence? I guess its easy for us to be armchair coaches and say "bench that guy", or "he needs to play more", but there is also a human side of this and if he takes responsibilities away from one player will that hurt other aspects of their game? If they do bump Dordevic from the man-up, will his confidence dwindle? After being on the bench for a year and now being demoted? I guess while I am advocating for the coaches not to be afraid in making changes, its also easy to forget this is a team and guys rely on much as confidence as anything else.

Anyways, lots of questions from me, very little answers, but it's early in the season.

They actually did switch it up. Kennedy was on Brown for a possession or two before Mellen went down. Mellen was put on 33 I believe.

WLAX Stony Brook beats Syracuse at Dome? What ,does Gait get same heat as Desko

Not to be that guy but the womans team has probably 10% of the interest and fan attention as the mens program. A majority of the SU mens lax fans would trade SU winning a Natty this year for the womans team going winless the next decade.

with only 12 scholarships are any of them getting full rides?

12.7 dont forget that .7, lol. Most aren't even getting half but I have heard that there are a few getting a good chunk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom