Thoughts on our ideal Lineup | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on our ideal Lineup

Stota44

Walk On
I know this is my 1st post (happy to be aboard), but I am not a young fan. I know very well this would NEVER happen... but its a discussion site so here we go:

Howard
Cooney
G
Lydon
Coleman

I wish this was our starting lineup. IMO, Howard is clearly our best PG. Its not close, even as a frosh. He has a knack of getting in the lane and makes GOOD passes most of the time. Having Mali as a gunner off the bench and Roberson as the energy guy, that would be my lineup.

Just wondering if anyone else likes this lineup? I know Lydon plays center when Coleman goes out, but he is a young guy and can handle increased minutes. I just think this lineup gives us a better chance to score the ball, which is what we strugglw with mightily.

Welcome! Howard runs the fast break decently, and I do like that about him. I am sure that the line up you are suggesting has been done but I can't remember what happened.

Malachi has taken a step backwards, and Roberson is so inconsistent. But in Boeheim's system, once players start, they always start. Their egos then must withstand the agony of being pulled after only a couple minutes. I don't believe Malachi has earned the starter's position or at least he has de-earned it.

I am feeling the jitters of upcoming ACC play, and these jitters are not the good kind!

Howard
G
Richardson
Roberson
Coleman

Play the players at the position they are best suited to succeed in. Howard is our best pure-PG at this point - having a guy playing there as a stop-gap (G this year, Joseph last year), just isn't working out so well as far as creating offense for others. Mali has a more diverse skill-set than Cooney, so that's why he starts. If he can't shoot for **** the rest of the year, start Cooney instead. Let the streakiest shooter win. It's Thunderdome - kidding, start either one for all I care, but G should be getting more minutes at SG/SF. Howard should be getting more minutes at PG.

I agree with your take from an offensive standpoint. However bad as we have been on rebounding, we would be even worse without Roberson in there.

this team is so ill constructed that it's just hard to put together an "ideal" formula.
for starters we are just so weak in the middle. after having a nice run of fab, rak, baye and a healthy dc2 to mix up underneath right now we find ourselves in dire straits . dc2 is the best option but limited to probably 20 minutes tops. lydon is a 4 pushed into the 5 and obo severely untested. if i were to roll the dice and looking at our limited upside i'd want to see howard and malachi starting in the backcourt. silent (g) at the 3. lydon, roberson and coleman trying to hold down the house inside.
yes that means cooney off the bench but maybe thats what he needs to get going. and joseph spelling the point.
one thing i don't want to see and where hopkins has made a statement is 4 guys playing 35 +. cuz frankly imo the talent drop-off just isn't there this year. mix it up. play mutt ball and hope for a miracle.

this team is so ill constructed that it's just hard to put together an "ideal" formula.
for starters we are just so weak in the middle. after having a nice run of fab, rak, baye and a healthy dc2 to mix up underneath right now we find ourselves in dire straits . dc2 is the best option but limited to probably 20 minutes tops. lydon is a 4 pushed into the 5 and obo severely untested. if i were to roll the dice and looking at our limited upside i'd want to see howard and malachi starting in the backcourt. silent (g) at the 3. lydon, roberson and coleman trying to hold down the house inside.
yes that means cooney off the bench but maybe thats what he needs to get going. and joseph spelling the point.
one thing i don't want to see and where hopkins has made a statement is 4 guys playing 35 +. cuz frankly imo the talent drop-off just isn't there this year. mix it up. play mutt ball and hope for a miracle.
An all-freshmen starting backcourt vs. an all-fifth year senior backcourt? Hmmm, let me think...

An all-freshmen starting backcourt vs. an all-fifth year senior backcourt? Hmmm, let me think...

In this era of basketball, I'm not sure that's always a strong argument, but I get what you're saying in regard to this team.

PG / Howard
SG / G
SF / Lydon
PF / Roberson
C / DC

That lineup would score about 45 points a game.

I have those five at about 51.
7 / 18 / 12 / 8 / 6

A bit more than your 45, but my lineup assumes we still have the other guys as reserves. Non-starters' points count, too.

I know this is my 1st post (happy to be aboard), but I am not a young fan. I know very well this would NEVER happen... but its a discussion site so here we go:

Howard
Cooney
G
Lydon
Coleman

I wish this was our starting lineup. IMO, Howard is clearly our best PG. Its not close, even as a frosh. He has a knack of getting in the lane and makes GOOD passes most of the time. Having Mali as a gunner off the bench and Roberson as the energy guy, that would be my lineup.

Just wondering if anyone else likes this lineup? I know Lydon plays center when Coleman goes out, but he is a young guy and can handle increased minutes. I just think this lineup gives us a better chance to score the ball, which is what we strugglw with mightily.

Firstly, got to give you props for saying this will never happen. Some of us like me get a dozen of those in a year :)
Usually you always start your only one on one scorer. Ours is Malachi, and usually they are the focal point of the offense. Would have to think back to Dion for the last time we didn't, and that team still had KJO as the go to guy for the first half of the season.

We take a big drop off with Malachi going cold. Not only do we lose his points, but hes the guy who is supposed to take 20 plus shots some games, gbinije and cooney will max out on 14-15 9 out of 10 games. They are probably averaging about 13 right now. Malachi could be averaging around 20 shots a game.
If you swapped Gbinije and Malachis percentages right now we could be undefeated, and Malachi could have alot of assists to go with it. Probably deserves its own thread.

Last edited:
Let Malachi build his confidence and find a groove. Kids got talent and balls. Could see him, the other frosh and youll be surprised by joseph next year, lead us deep. Excited for the personalities of moyer and richardson to feed off eachother

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom