Thoughts | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts

I've seen a few other people mention it here, but I'll jump on board...why couldn't Trevor be developed to play a backup PG role? He's got a solid handle, he's big and strong and more athletic than he gets credit for (gee, I wonder why?)...I know he needs to play off the ball to get an open look, but in so many offenses, the point guard just needs to bring it up and initiate the halfcourt set. After that, he's free to move without the ball and work toward an open look. Couldn't he handle that role just as well as Gbinije?

I like Gbinije too, by the way, but he's in no way, shape, or form ever going to be a PG.

I've seen a few other people mention it here, but I'll jump on board...why couldn't Trevor be developed to play a backup PG role? He's got a solid handle, he's big and strong and more athletic than he gets credit for (gee, I wonder why?)...I know he needs to play off the ball to get an open look, but in so many offenses, the point guard just needs to bring it up and initiate the halfcourt set. After that, he's free to move without the ball and work toward an open look. Couldn't he handle that role just as well as Gbinije?

I like Gbinije too, by the way, but he's in no way, shape, or form ever going to be a PG.

Only guessing, but I think they wanted him to focus all his energy on getting open and hitting shots but I get your point.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...yracuse_basketball_teams_guard_situation.html

Interesting take from JB on the guard situation for next year. He seems to think with another year G and Cooney should be much better. Talks highly of Joseph's mid range game and believes Patterson will improve. Article seems to imply he thought Ennis and Cj would of been better from outside this year than they actually were.

Boeheim's typically optimistic in this manner at this time - every scholarship guard has the potential to contribute, yada yada. We won't know much until someone gives an October practice report or we see a couple early-season games.

On the second point, though I'm far from bullish on Ennis as a pro prospect, I think his shooting was a little underrated. Surprised he didn't shoot it more, because I think he could have been a decent threat. As for C.J., everyone must have thought he'd be better from outside this season; while one could have expected a drop from 47% (or whatever he shot as a junior), I figured he'd at least hit a third of his shots this year.

There could be backcourt coverage defensive problems. At the point, your first thought when your team releases a shot is to maintain court balance and protect against a runout. Different responsibility.

It can be developed, but this mindset does not come naturally to all shooting guards.

What's even more strange is, all season, minutes supposedly weren't an issue. Boeheim now in the article says, "We never wanted to play Tyler and Trevor 38 minutes. That's not something we want."

Hilarious, huh? You can't make this stuff up.

As always: Boeheim says things.

That caught my attention, if its not what you want then why do you continue to do it? And we wonder why a bench was never established.

And if, as Boeheim insists, 22-year-old kids don't get tired, why didn't he want to play those guys for 38 minutes?

Questions abound. Too bad they're limited to this board and not asked by any professional sportswriters.

As for C.J., everyone must have thought he'd be better from outside this season; while one could have expected a drop from 47% (or whatever he shot as a junior), I figured he'd at least hit a third of his shots this year.
I think it's case of small sample size more than anything. I didn't think CJ (his shot is sloooow) was ever going to be a volume 40% guy from three like D Nich, but I was hoping for 35% and 120 attempts.

The difference between his 27% this season and a hoped for 35% made is just 6 more makes. I think I can count the number of times he rimmed out without even going to the tape. There's a lot of noise in those percentages with so few shots.

I think it's case of small sample size more than anything. I didn't think CJ (his shot is sloooow) was ever going to be a volume 40% guy from three like D Nich, but I was hoping for 35% and 120 attempts.

The difference between his 27% this season and a hoped for 35% made is just 6 more makes. I think I can count the number of times he rimmed out without even going to the tape. There's a lot of noise in those percentages with so few shots.

If he had made Just one more we would have beat Dayton!

Boeheim's typically optimistic in this manner at this time - every scholarship guard has the potential to contribute, yada yada. We won't know much until someone gives an October practice report or we see a couple early-season games.

On the second point, though I'm far from bullish on Ennis as a pro prospect, I think his shooting was a little underrated. Surprised he didn't shoot it more, because I think he could have been a decent threat. As for C.J., everyone must have thought he'd be better from outside this season; while one could have expected a drop from 47% (or whatever he shot as a junior), I figured he'd at least hit a third of his shots this year.

I agree with him, I think we will shoot better next year. G and Cooney especially will have a year of experience. Patterson should contribute some if they can't on a given night. Bj Johnson is the sleepr IMO.

Unbelievable. Anyways I'm a man of my word so I'll catch up with yall again next month. Hit me on the pm if you want to contact me.
Seriously. What in the heckfire has happened? Worst. Year. Ever. Talk soon either way, brother. We'll get it back, but for now:

When JB retires I nominate you to take over.

I honestly thought Cooney had the biggest jump from the returning players. I just think the sets they ran for Trevor on offense made it seem like the kid was running a marathon every game. He ran the baseline non-stop back and forth all game.

I honestly thought Cooney had the biggest jump from the returning players. I just think the sets they ran for Trevor on offense made it seem like the kid was running a marathon every game. He ran the baseline non-stop back and forth all game.

He had to work the hardest of any player to get open. I mentioned it all year. When he could play within the flow vs forcing it he was lethal. Being the only shooter made it mostly impossible to not have him running like crazy all game.

He had to work the hardest of any player to get open. I mentioned it all year. When he could play within the flow vs forcing it he was lethal. Being the only shooter made it mostly impossible to not have him running like crazy all game.
So true, it was like watching TC do a cardio workout instead of playing basketball...

I don't know. Recruiting 2016 kids seems like a lot of kids. Maybe just recruit 10 or 15 kids and then whittle down the list to three or four.

It's not as crazy as it sounds. All of these kids will be rising juniors in about 6 weeks and we'll be on here complaining what's taking them so long to commit about 3-4 months after that.

It's not as crazy as it sounds. All of these kids will be rising juniors in about 6 weeks and we'll be on here complaining what's taking them so long to commit about 3-4 months after that.

He was being funny (or trying). Let me show you.

I don't know. Recruiting 2,016 kids seems like a lot of kids. Maybe just recruit 10 or 15 kids and then whittle down the list to three or four.

See the difference?

Kc, very unfair judgement on Cooney. His lack of production was at least partially the result of the teams overall poor ball movement and lack of interior options. As has been stated many times, teams totally keyed on Cooney knowing he was really their only outside shooting threat. If you are going to criticize Cooney, where was Gbinije on the offensive end? Cooney rarely got good looks at the basket and had to take long/contested shots which are lower percentage.

He had to work so hard to get open. Our offense was too simple. The kid simply wore down.

He would be exhausted and would never come off the floor.

I don't know. Recruiting 2016 kids seems like a lot of kids. Maybe just recruit 10 or 15 kids and then whittle down the list to three or four.
Wow...talk about a long bench!
(How long was it??)
Bench was so long...even Boeheim had to use it!
Hey-OOOOO! ;)

Cooney was worst this year he didnt improve
That's funny considering how bad he was his freshman year. I thought he was drastically improved before fading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom