Time For A Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium? | Syracusefan.com

Time For A Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium?

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
I think a community stadium of somewhere from 7000-10000 seats.

Should ideally be close to campus.

One if not two sidelines should be fully covered with an extended roof.

Should support SU Soccer, Pro Lacrosse and Soccer, SU Lacrosse in April and May, local college and HS tournaments.

Could look something like this
toyota-field-soccer-stadium.jpg

Would be great but need a donor to step up. Not sure they would do anything until they complete the 150 million project.

That's a $21m publicly owned facility. I'd take a closer look at what peers like Virginia, Duke, and North Carolina have (all use joint soccer/lacrosse facilities), which are plenty viable for what Syracuse's usage will look like.

Should support SU Soccer, Pro Lacrosse and Soccer, SU Lacrosse in April and May, local college and HS tournaments.

View attachment 222747
I do like the idea. Or something similar to what Yale recently built with Joe Tsai's hearty donation.

View attachment 222747
I would put it right where the soccer stadium is now. There is a big field between it and Lancaster that as far as I can tell is just vacant land. Too small to be used as a practice field. Why not move the footprint of the stadium in some, and take advantage of all the room east of the stadium?

I suspect lacrosse fans will not be happy with a stadium with that small of a capacity. I think the soccer stadium only holds about 2500 now, though that could be expanded to 5000 pretty easily just adding stands on the east side of the field. There is of course more capacity on the small hill just south of the field; maybe that adds another 500 or 1000.

This is a significant problem. You ideally have a facility that is big enough for a sports’ biggest crowds but not ridiculously big for other sports.

A 7K stadium would be great for mens and womens soccer but too small for mens and (hopefully some day) womens lacrosse. A 12K stadium might be great for lacrosse but too big for the soccer teams.

Let’s look at some peer schools and how they do things.

Dorrance Field hosts UNC soccer and lacrosse. It has 4200 individual seats.

Klöckner Stadium hosts UVa soccer and lacrosse. It has 3500 seats and room for 3600 more people to sit on the hillside next to the stadium.

I think those are the two best facilities in the ACC.

Since Syracuse lacrosse is so much more popular than UNC or UVa lacrosse, going down to a field with cavities like theirs would be a problem.

I like that you have sized a Syracuse version far bigger. It would be nice to have a room to keep fans dry in bad weather. Individual seats, a state of the art video board, ample bathrooms and concessions and a wide, open concourse would be great. It would probably cost at least $10 million to build. I think a naming gift from a large corporation about to move into the community would be a great way to start building a good relationship with the CNY community.

I would put it right where the soccer stadium is now. There is a big field between it and Lancaster that as far as I can tell is just vacant land. Too small to be used as a practice field. Why not move the footprint of the stadium in some, and take advantage of all the room east of the stadium?

I suspect lacrosse fans will not be happy with a stadium with that small of a capacity. I think the soccer stadium only holds about 2500 now, though that could be expanded to 5000 pretty easily just adding stands on the east side of the field. There is of course more capacity on the small hill just south of the field; maybe that adds another 500 or 1000.

This is a significant problem. You ideally have a facility that is big enough for a sports’ biggest crowds but not ridiculously big for other sports.

A 7K stadium would be great for mens and womens soccer but too small for mens and (hopefully some day) womens lacrosse. A 12K stadium might be great for lacrosse but too big for the soccer teams.

Klöckner Stadium hosts UVa soccer and lacrosse. It has 3500 seats and room for 3600 more people to sit on the hillside next to the stadium.

Since Syracuse lacrosse is so much more popular than UNC or UVa lacrosse, going down to a field with cavities like theirs would be a problem.

I like that you have sized a Syracuse version far bigger. It would be nice to have a room to keep fans dry in bad weather. Individual seats, a state of the art video board, ample bathrooms and concessions and a wide, open concourse would be great. It would probably cost at least $10 million to build. I think a naming gift from a large corporation about to move into the community would be a great way to start building a good relationship with the CNY community.

The entire Manley complex is really poorly thought out. I would find a way to upgrade the soccer stadium by using the space you reference simply to add more bleachers, concessions, and bathrooms. I'd build out bleachers at the south end of the field. And I'd add an additional rise of bleachers behind the already existing bleachers. That should get your capacity up over 4k.

The Dome and SU lacrosse are synonymous with one another and one of the things that makes the program unique. This year they play one home game after April 1 (actually on April 1). Having a consistent climate to play in sets SU apart in the northeast and is partially why we can schedule such a home heavy schedule.

Is the dome too small for soccer?

Last edited:
Is the dome to small for soccer?

The Soccer teams originally played in the Dome when it was first opened in the 80's.

Soccer teams prefer to play on grass.

The whole grass thing doesn't work indoors.

Maybe it's just me, but I would think MLax and WLax are pretty happy playing in the Dome. A smaller stadium for MSoc, WSoc, FHoc (maybe somehow track & field? I don't know) would seem to be ideal.

FH doesn't play on grass. Soccer doesn't like turf.

Hmmm wonder if there is a new corporation setting up in Syracuse?

Maybe it's just me, but I would think MLax and WLax are pretty happy playing in the Dome. A smaller stadium for MSoc, WSoc, FHoc (maybe somehow track & field? I don't know) would seem to be ideal.
Ask them in late April when it is 70 outside?

A facility like that could also host the ACC tournament.

FH also prefers to play on the 80s style of turf, that really hard, unforgiving carpet.
I think they feel the hard field makes the ball move better. We've played SU on ours a couple of times when it snowed beforehand before they built our turf practice field (where we played Army after it snowed).

Ask them in late April when it is 70 outside?

A facility like that could also host the ACC tournament.
Not sure of your point here, Mark. It can now be 70 inside the Dome.

Not sure of your point here, Mark. It can now be 70 inside the Dome.
Sunshine is good

It would primarily be for soccer but could be used for lacrosse too.

You could design it to two sidelines with covered roofs...less seats in the end zones since you don't use those seats in lacrosse for safety reasons

Didn’t Gait say one of his priorities was to help build a lacrosse only stadium? I might be making this up. I think it would be great but I do wonder what they would do in February.

Didn’t Gait say one of his priorities was to help build a lacrosse only stadium? I might be making this up. I think it would be great but I do wonder what they would do in February.
Yes hes wanted a Lacrosse stadium and lacrosse only facilities

Yes hes wanted a Lacrosse stadium and lacrosse only facilities
Lacrosse only facilities would be great (weight room, admin offices, treatment area, etc). I remember the current weight training areas for the Olympic sports to be suboptimal. That was about 3 years ago, so things could have changed. - The OSU lax only stadium is ridiculously nice.

I thought Gait wanted a standalone support facility, not stadium?

Also, Tsai's donation at Yale went to a Lacrosse Fieldhouse (support facility) and I believe soccer shares as well. They continue to play at Reese Field, which they share with soccer.