Time to refer to Penn State properly | Syracusefan.com

Time to refer to Penn State properly

Don't know where you mean, but count me in this camp. Especially when a mod uses it.

Why are you concerned with how somebody refers to a school on a forum. If you don't like it, then don't say it. That said, other people have as much of a right to use it as you do to refrain from using it.

Frankly, I couldn't care less how people refer to it. I still have no respect for PSU.

Why are you concerned with how somebody refers to a school on a forum. If you don't like it, then don't say it. That said, other people have as much of a right to use it as you do to refrain from using it.

Frankly, I couldn't care less how people refer to it. I still have no respect for PSU.

It shows no class. Like I said, don't care if you disagree. They deserve better and this site is better than that.

I'm confused too.

* nevermind, new posts have filled me in.

If people are going to refer to Marrone as Bologna than I don't have a problem with Ped St. Of all the things that don't show any class on this board today, Ped St. is the last thing I could care about.

It shows no class. Like I said, don't care if you disagree. They deserve better and this site is better than that.
I have never used that term. However, I disagree that they deserve better. The school covered up a child abuser for years. And they are still fighting their just punishment. And how many times have we read sorrycuse of any other such thing on another fan board?

Like I said, I don't care what people call the university. It may not show any class but PSU hasn't done much to deserve respect in my eyes recently.

I think the point is more that by calling it that it kind of trivializes the whole thing a bit. Makes me cringe a little bit. If people want to say it fine, not my board, but I understand where JPS is coming from.

who's the "they?" the victims or the school/administration?

Sorry I wasnt clear... The victims is what I meant. Not defending the school.

I got confused at first and then I assumed that. it was either that or you were a bizarre penn state alum.

I got confused at first and then I assumed that. it was either that or you were a bizarre penn state alum.

Not a Penn State alum. Grew up with the guys you see wearing the Boheim masks every basketball game. Met Orr and Bouie when I was kid playing Park and Rec ball.

If you mean the victims fine...if you are defending that school...that fanbase that supported that school after this all came to fruition...or the community that still complains they got punished...you can rot in hell with all of them.

If you mean the victims fine...if you are defending that school...that fanbase that supported that school after this all came to fruition...or the community that still complains they got punished...you can rot in hell with all of them.

Already said the victims...

feature13.jpg

Already said the victims...

I guess I don't see your point. How is referring to Penn State as Ped State being disrespectful to the victims?

To me it reminds us all of what happened there and what the administration allowed to happen there for decades. Isn't going back to calling them Penn State more an effort to push what happened under the rug?

Cheers,
Neil

I guess I don't see your point. How is referring to Penn State as Ped State being disrespectful to the victims?

To me it reminds us all of what happened there and what the administration allowed to happen there for decades. Isn't going back to calling them Penn State more an effort to push what happened under the rug?

Cheers,
Neil

by no means do i believe it is sweeping anything under the rug. If you believe making a play off of the word pedophile is keeping things in the forefront I believe you are wrong. We can still have the daily articles to continue to track what is happening, but to think calling something Ped State is being done so we can all keep it fresh in our minds is nuts. I did some work with a group that supports children affected by abuse, and let's just say that group doesn't think names like "Ped State" do anything positive. It is a silly play on words similar to Sorrycuse, Syralose, Buttgers, Rutgirls, Bellicheat, Cheatriots, and countless more. Each of those is a funny play on words to illustrate someone's dislike of a person or program, I get it. But none of those have victimes like the Penn State scandal, I just wonder if the families of victims appreciate such things. I could be wrong, but I support what JPS is saying in that respect. If you need a reminder of what happened there and it needs to come in the form of someone writing Ped State somewhere I suppose the gravity of the situation may have been lost on some.

by no means do i believe it is sweeping anything under the rug. If you believe making a play off of the word pedophile is keeping things in the forefront I believe you are wrong. We can still have the daily articles to continue to track what is happening, but to think calling something Ped State is being done so we can all keep it fresh in our minds is nuts. I did some work with a group that supports children affected by abuse, and let's just say that group doesn't think names like "Ped State" do anything positive. It is a silly play on words similar to Sorrycuse, Syralose, Buttgers, Rutgirls, Bellicheat, Cheatriots, and countless more. Each of those is a funny play on words to illustrate someone's dislike of a person or program, I get it. But none of those have victimes like the Penn State scandal, I just wonder if the families of victims appreciate such things. I could be wrong, but I support what JPS is saying in that respect. If you need a reminder of what happened there and it needs to come in the form of someone writing Ped State somewhere I suppose the gravity of the situation may have been lost on some.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I see going back to referring to them as Penn State has nothing more than an effort to say let's stop talking and thinking about this which does absolutely nothing to help the victims, which is the point I was referring to.

I see Ped State has something totally different from Rutgirls or Buttgers which are attempts to emasculate their fanbase. To me the Ped State reference keeps the horrific acts that they did to protect their football program front and center.

To each their own.

Cheers,
Neil

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I see going back to referring to them as Penn State has nothing more than an effort to say let's stop talking and thinking about this which does absolutely nothing to help the victims, which is the point I was referring to.

I see Ped State has something totally different from Rutgirls or Buttgers which are attempts to emasculate their fanbase. To me the Ped State reference keeps the horrific acts that they did to protect their football program front and center.

To each their own.

Cheers,
Neil

I understand your points and will get off my soap box once this is said and done, but again I assure you calling them Ped State is doing absolutely nothing to keep people thinking about the trajedy, I think it has hit that point where nobody could ever forget. Anyone want to do your part I would be happy to give you the name of some great organizations that you could donate to (I am sure many already have since this board had access to many early on I believe) but continuously referring to them as Ped State isn't raiding awareness of child sexual abuse at all. Quite frankly it trivializes it. I think the post below sums it up pretty well, and I fully understand the point was to mock the OP and prbably myself for that matter, but it truly illustrates the point. Using "ped State" as part of this joke to make fun of JPS just shows how desensitized some have come to it. Google image search Ped State today and see if all of the associated pictures are to "keeps the horrific acts that they did to protect their football program front and center." or if it more in the realm of trying to be funny on the average. I dont think this board has really used it improperly all of the time, but as a whole people have turned it into a mockery. Sorry that i am a bit passionate, but I had a long talk with someone effected by something similar and my thoughts now align with his based on that conversation.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/ped-state.41021/#post-477835

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom