Tinker Toy Team.... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tinker Toy Team....

For the thousand time; if recruits want to play in the ACC they have a host of traditional ACC teams to choose from that are more representative of the ACC than Syracuse. When we were Big East, we got a good share of the best players who wanted to play in the Big East. We represented the Big East, along with UCon and GT. The ACC downturn in recruiting was predictable and inevitable. I shouted it from the rooftops. Those that thought recruiting would improve due to ACC affiliation were sadly mistaken. We made a pact with the devil although we had little choice.

This doesn't make sense. We had a great class signed in 2015...and then we got hammered by the NCAA. That punishment was meant to hurt us, and we never recovered. The luster was off the program. It makes even less sense when we've been in the ACC for 8 years and the kids we're recruiting were 7 or 8 when we last played a Big East game. I seriously doubt kids today know that we were ever in the Big East beyond seeing some clips on YouTube.

I am sick o
This doesn't make sense. We had a great class signed in 2015...and then we got hammered by the NCAA. That punishment was meant to hurt us, and we never recovered. The luster was off the program. It makes even less sense when we've been in the ACC for 8 years and the kids we're recruiting were 7 or 8 when we last played a Big East game. I seriously doubt kids today know that we were ever in the Big East beyond seeing some clips on YouTube.
I am so sick of the sanctions excuse. JB’s program, his responsibility, his sanctions. Whatever the impact they had on recruiting, that’s on JB. If the NCAA wanted to hurt SU, that’s on JB. If the best kids no longer want to play here, that’s on JB. If we can’t get good NIL for new kids, that’s on JB.

I am sick o

I am so sick of the sanctions excuse. JB’s program, his responsibility, his sanctions. Whatever the impact they had on recruiting, that’s on JB. If the NCAA wanted to hurt SU, that’s on JB. If the best kids no longer want to play here, that’s on JB. If we can’t get good NIL for new kids, that’s on JB.

I don't disagree. But sanctions have more to do with poor recruiting than being in the ACC.

For the thousand time; if recruits want to play in the ACC they have a host of traditional ACC teams to choose from that are more representative of the ACC than Syracuse. When we were Big East, we got a good share of the best players who wanted to play in the Big East. We represented the Big East, along with UCon and GT. The ACC downturn in recruiting was predictable and inevitable. I shouted it from the rooftops. Those that thought recruiting would improve due to ACC affiliation were sadly mistaken. We made a pact with the devil although we had little choice.
Our recruiting being poor is a bit of an exaggeration and has been overblown. JB got the team HE wanted this year. If we lose that's on JB, but these are the players HE wanted. And last I checked Benny was ranked 30.

If anything team composition seems to be more of an issue

Last year everyone wanted Woody and Richmond to return, so hard to argue they were poor recruits.

Next year we bring in a 5 man class that's on par with Virginia's 4 man class and ranked higher than FSU's 6 man class. I get we aren't bringing in top 25 guys, but this topic has been exaggerated.

There's plenty of coaches that are winning games with less talent than JB has had over the past 4-5 years.

Have we screwed up center until this year and the pg position? Sure, but I don't see recruiting being as poor as people claim.

JB got the team HE wanted this year. If we lose that's on JB, but these are the players HE wanted.
This is what the signs seem to be currently pointing at, and has me disturbed/befuddled. (and this has been tossed about a bit in other threads) I mean, is he that blind (by stubbornness, laziness, cognitive decline, whatever) to not anticipate his roster construction would yield such an awful (so far) defense? Is he just OK with an awful (so far) defense?
Really, how can any of us who have even the slightest ability to view things objectively not start to ask these questions right now?

Like, this sort of feels like what you get when you suddenly have a couple/few key departures from a team during a season - your team has glaring holes to fill, and you pretty much suck, and you scramble to figure something out. But JB knew in April what he had to work with and what he'd need to acquire (portal) to at least try and have an adequate roster to adequately play his defense. And he did nothing. So...?

This is what the signs seem to be currently pointing at, and has me disturbed/befuddled. (and this has been tossed about a bit in other threads) I mean, is he that blind (by stubbornness, laziness, cognitive decline, whatever) to not anticipate his roster construction would yield such an awful (so far) defense? Is he just OK with an awful (so far) defense?
Really, how can any of us who have even the slightest ability to view things objectively not start to ask these questions right now?
Yes, the d has been poor, but so has the coaching. How could even stubborn JB have not thrown some man at a smaller less athletic Colgate team that was lighting up the zone ???

I started asking this 2 years ago, some of that was caused by early defections like Brisset and the total miss at PG with Carey. I thought he was righting the ship last year with the freshman he brought in but most of that class is gone and its right back to where it was in 19-20.

Like, this sort of feels like what you get when you suddenly have a couple/few key departures from a team during a season - your team has glaring holes to fill, and you pretty much suck, and you scramble to figure something out. But JB knew in April what he had to work with and what he'd need to acquire (portal) to at least try and have an adequate roster to adequately play his defense. And he did nothing. So...?
Lets hope nobody Geno Thorpes out in December or we are looking at time for Paddy Casey and Chaz Owens, yikes

He picked the team. A lot of people associated with the team had high expectations. A lot of people expected Benny to be further along than he is.

my guess is JB got swept up in the Sweet 16 run and assumed running it back would work

I am sick o

The sanctions were 3 presidents ago

It’s not remotely the same team. 5 contributors are gone.
yeah, but riding the Buddy/Joe bombs away as the template - possibly he figured "hell we got nothing from QG or Griffin during that run anyway, I'll just plug those spots with shooters and we're good to go"

yeah, but riding the Buddy/Joe bombs away as the template - possibly he figured "hell we got nothing from QG or Griffin during that run anyway, I'll just plug those spots with shooters and we're good to go"
bingo, the parts are different, but I think JB's strategy for 2021 is heavily influenced by the success in the first 2 rounds of the NCAAs

AND, he figured "we got nothing from kadary in those wins"

We had to of thought Benny would be further along and Jimmy could seamlessly move into the Marek role with Swider/Griffin being a wash. I also have to think the staff must have thought they could and still can coach Symir up and any decrease in forward defense could be offset by Edwards taking a jump.

Mike Waters was quoted as saying Benny looked great in practice during the preseason. He doesn't just throw this out there without good info.

So far Edwards playing well is really the only thing that has gone to plan.

Still will be at the dome tonight though hoping we get a win.

We had to of thought Benny would be further along and Jimmy could seamlessly move into the Marek role with Swider/Griffin being a wash. I also have to think the staff must have thought they could and still can coach Symir up and any decrease in forward defense could be offset by Edwards taking a jump.

Mike Waters was quoted as saying Benny looked great in practice during the preseason. He doesn't just throw this out there without good info.

So far Edwards playing well is really the only thing that has gone to plan.

Still will be at the dome tonight though hoping we get a win.
yep.
still early and still time for Benny, Symir, and growth of the 2-3 to emerge. but as u and I know - the hole gets deeper from which to dig out

bingo, the parts are different, but I think JB's strategy for 2021 is heavily influenced by the success in the first 2 rounds of the NCAAs

AND, he figured "we got nothing from kadary in those wins"
I think your right, he based it on 2 tournament wins, not the rest of season before it or how they were exposed against Houston. The loss is what you should learn from and go, where were we lacking or deficient in defeat to counter that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom