Today Dino needs to be locked up | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Today Dino needs to be locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree but your numeric suggestions earlier in the thread aren't realistic then, and IMHO, they are low. i think we need to draw up a new contract for 10 years, $4M plus per.

Why are they unrealistic? And 10 years isn’t happening.

Does SU athletics department want to gamble? It could be Dino is that good. But it could also be that Dungey is that good and Dino is just riding him. We can know for sure only next year but we have to bet very soon.
This post makes it apparent you do not follow recruiting closely. The level of recruit we are bringing in is like night and day compared to 3 years ago.

You can have the best QB in the world, but if you don't have the surrounding cast you end up with 4-8 seasons. We're 9-3. Do you think that happened ONLY because of Dungey?

Maxwell/Newhouse/Whitman have tuition and other resources of revenue that the Athletic department doesn’t.
Syracuse doesn’t give any student tickets to basketball and football.
They charge revenue for them the student activities fees other schools use to get money from them their students to subsidize the AD doesn’t happen at Syracuse.
The ACC TV money is generated by the football and basketball teams.
The schools deserve NONE OF IT. They do nothing to deserve it. Pay back the loans w/interest screw them after that.

One, they weren’t loans. Two, your posts seem to indicate you think the athletic department should be a completely autonomous entity that will fend for itself about everything. That won’t work out very well.

This post makes it apparent you do not follow recruiting closely. The level of recruit we are bringing in is like night and day compared to 3 years ago.

You can have the best QB in the world, but if you don't have the surrounding cast you end up with 4-8 seasons. We're 9-3. Do you think that happened ONLY because of Dungey?

If only Dungey played under a different coach we could compare records.

Am I the only the one amused we're conducting negotiations for Babers on the board? Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge Babers fan. However, no one out there right now is tripling his salary. We had a great year, but it was one year. Think we will continue to do well, but will be interesting to see how we do next year w/o Dungey. We did struggle w/o him in Babers' 1st 2 years.

Last edited:
So I just read that Babers current buyout is $10m. Lot more than I thought it was.

Where did you read that? I would like to read that? I have been searching for buyout info.

One, they weren’t loans. Two, your posts seem to indicate you think the athletic department should be a completely autonomous entity that will fend for itself about everything. That won’t work out very well.
If the AD wants to split ticket revenue and concessions that is negotiable.
I see nothing wrong with that.
I don’t think the TV revenue should go anywhere but the AD.
If the AD became autonomous with that 25 million dollar check from the ACC I think they could do fine.
As that check is going to get higher every year with the ACC Network and TV contract have balloon increases as the deal goes on.
The annual TV check should be closer to 40 million a year by 2020.

So I just read that Babers current buyout is $10m. Lot more than I thought it was.
Yeah, that was part of the gig, but if true, I didn’t realize it was still that much either.

That’s good. I really don’t think we need to worry until 2020 as it currently stands. But, would still really like to get an extension hammered out.

Why are they unrealistic? And 10 years isn’t happening.

Because it would be essentially a continuation of his current contract, if hes getting annual raises. I think hes earned more than that.

Prob wishful thinking on the ten years

Last edited:
If you don't want to run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

If you want to run with the small dogs, drop to FCS.

If you want to run with the big dogs and just come in last, keep doing what you are doing.
I don't know if you're just being a tough guy or if you really believe this, but get some fresh air real quick and breathe.

What you described is fine if you're running, say, an NFL franchise. But attached to the football program is an athletic's department, and attached to that athletic's department is a university, and it's insane to me that people can lose sight of this, but it's the university entity that matters.

Its a good time to be good in the northeast. UConn has the worst defense of all time. Rutgers might have the worst offense of all time. James Franklin isn't setting the world on fire without Morehead at OC. BC is just BC. Other than the usual poachers into the area, we should be first in line at the leftover table and could snag some blue chippers with repeated success. We're not talking a hotbed of talent like Florida, but it can't hurt.

Nobody said underfund the program. You’re making that up to draw a straw man to shut the program down.
I don't want the program shut down.

I am also not smart enough to know what a "straw man" is...

Fund the program appropriately for the conference that you are in and give them a legitimate chance to be successful. Give them an opportunity to compete at the highest level.

If not, expect what you pay for. Expect the fanbase to decline, expect good coaches to leave, expect the press to pick you last.

It isn't just a cliche, you truly do get what you pay for 95% of the time. If you expect to be in the 5% that gets more then expect to be disappointed 95% of the time.

I don't know if you're just being a tough guy or if you really believe this, but get some fresh air real quick and breathe.

What you described is fine if you're running, say, an NFL franchise. But attached to the football program is an athletic's department, and attached to that athletic's department is a university, and it's insane to me that people can lose sight of this, but it's the university entity that matters.
You need to read the article that explains why Nick Saban is worth $7 mil a year to the university of Alabama and why.

Nick Saban Will Make $11 Million Next Football Season And He Is Worth Every Penny

The exposure to the university from the football team alone is immeasurable. The out of state attendance is up, which translates to more academic revenue, student body is increasing, all attributable to the football team winning.

It happens to every university that wins the basketball national championship, its not a fluke.

What College Basketball Success Means for Schools Like Villanova

The Impact of College Sports Success on the Quantity and Quality of Student Applications

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/devin.pope/research/pdf/Website_SEJ Sports.pdf

Sports success is good for the University. PERIOD. Not accepting it is ridiculous.

School has never ever ever paid above market for football or hoops. Bees is right, a million increase is my guess but anything above that would be very out of character. To me the assistant numbers is the harder one to get to
It should be “out of character” because we were never negotiating Football contracts with a legit HC/Staff in the ACC.

Not trying to come off angry towards you, but I’ll sour on this program REAL quick if they operate under the same financial principles in the ACC as they did in the Big East.

Dino is our ticket back to Football relevance. If they don’t do everything in their power to “lock him up”, it’s basically a big screw you to the fan base and to ever truly competing in the ACC.

Literally no one in this thread said that it wasn't.
If you know that sports success is good for the university, and it has been proven over and over. Why is it so hard to spend money on the program knowing that the return will be more than the investment.

Or simply stop raiding the revenue the AD brings in.

Especially when you know the coach is a home run in every respect.

I don't recall another coach with as much national attention as Dino. Just the press alone he has gotten would be worth millions in airtime.

If you know that sports success is good for the university, and it has been proven over and over. Why is it so hard to spend money on the program knowing that the return will be more than the investment.

Or simply stop raiding the revenue the AD brings in.

Especially when you know the coach is a home run in every respect.

I don't recall another coach with as much national attention as Dino. Just the press alone he has gotten would be worth millions in airtime.

There's a curmudgeon that might disagree with you.

I don’t think GMacs going to require top dollar. ;)

No one noticed or replied to this. I will.
I think bees is right on. That GMac could be our new coach. Like JB he realizes what he'll have IF his contract is the same as JB's he'll make 10 x what he is now and the cost of living in Syracuse, as RF2044 states, is not what it is in other parts of the country. More than that, he'll inherit an elite program and become, at 33, one of the youngest coaches in major college basketball. JB is very close to Gerry. His opinion carries a lot of weight and I don't think were going to be recruiting the big time names out there. IMO, we stay within the SU family of players - it's comfortable and the current staff is experienced, young and will recruit like hell. I think that's the way JB will want it. Mike Hopkins may be in the equation - the only "name "out there I believe we'd talk to but why would he want to leave what he's just begun and become successful at. Let's stay where we are as far as coaches go and keep this program winning and recruiting 4 and 5 * players. This includes Dino. I believe he's a down to earth, sincere individual who talks to JW daily, wants to develop his program into a ranked team each year, likes NY State and will retire here. On the other hand, "how much _ _ _ _ _ _ money do you need?!" GOSU ;)

Atlanta Journal Constitution this weekend...

Yea, we should probably make sure he’s here long term.

(It’s a full page article on Dino/Syracuse and our kicker for some reason)

A4307A3F-90BA-4BC8-BF9A-3884167A51FE.jpeg

This is when other schools are coming after him if they have not already. SU needs to lock him up today. Not all about the money but rule that piece out. Need a announcement to keep recruiting and momentum going strong, IMO.
Lock him up where? Manley? Are there visiting hours? Kind of drastic don’t you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom