Todd Monken? | Syracusefan.com

Todd Monken?

leftytg

Starter
I've been poking around, and (assuming the top tier candidates take higher profile jobs) the guy I think like is Todd Monken, 49 years old.

He's currently head coach at Southern Miss. He's in year 3. He inherited a team that went 0-12. His first year he went 1-11, then 3-9 and so far this year is 6-3 (two of the losses are Miss St and Nebraska). To me, that is exciting. It shows he can build a program that is in rubble and the progression is exactly what you are looking for, with that year 3 leap.

This year, the team is 14th in Total Offense. Monken has roots in Ok St offense, as he was the passing game coordinator there from 2002-2004 and then OC from 2011-2012 (when he left to take the SMU job). He has NFL experience as Jacksonville's WR coach for 4 years (Florida!!!). He is from Illinois, has coached at ND and Eastern Michigan (also LSU), so he likely has at some point recruited Ohio/PA and neighboring states. It's not perfect match with our traditional recruiting areas, but that's a tall order.

I like the combination of proven head coach, proven program builder, and offensive pedigree.

First good and realistic option I've seen so far.

threads like this are good, guys are dreaming thinking we're hiring Fuente or Houston guy or guys in that Tier. Lets be realistic.

excellent article, thanks for posting it.

Among many things, this quote stood out:

On the staff, Monken hired Zac Woodfin to revamp the strength and conditioning program

Also of note, USM fired his predecessor after only year (but how can you attract good candidates if you don't give a coach a full 4 years???)

I'm 100% on the Monken train. Lets get this bandwagon up and running!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom