Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know how I feel about "best wishes". It would be disingenuous after Taj for me to completely reverse course now.

But...what I will say is...he handled his benching with maturity, and I respect him for that. And it's a very different animal being benched and not playing at all vs not liking the guy who is throwing you the ball now.

I will be watching to see where he ends up. I suspect it's gonna have to be FCS...quite likely D-2.

Last edited:
Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

He said that he's entering the portal with a "heavy heart". Just found that kind of odd.
I don't find it odd at all.

It was very clear that he really likes Syracuse University and the Football Program.

He obviously wanted to stay, but needs to play.

He's a good guy.

TD needs to find a team with a dominant OL and a bevy of WRs to spread the ball around. I don’t know who that is.

Who doesn't...

That said hope he graduated from SU, put in his time here and made some big big plays.

I also see this becoming much more common with the transfer portal as it has become. A QB is used to being a star, and teams are going to have trouble holding onto a really stellar backup QB. That being said. I really like Jacobian last season. He may even have more potential for us. So we do have a very decent backup.

I think this mid season transfer crap needs to be disallowed when they review the procedures. Coaches get fired, or get better offers but this stuff usually happens or becomes public during off season.

I‘m anxious to see how he performs elsewhere. I think it will tell us a lot about whether he was mismanaged here or whether he underachieved. Wish him well.

It is odd/unfortunate that he didn’t thank the coaching staff that groomed him to be the QB from the get go. Dino was probably loyal to him to a fault and gave him every chance to show he was the guy for the job.

2+ seasons as the starting QB and you can’t thank the staff for the opportunity?

That’s a bad look from him.

I also see this becoming much more common with the transfer portal as it has become. A QB is used to being a star, and teams are going to have trouble holding onto a really stellar backup QB. That being said. I really like Jacobian last season. He may even have more potential for us. So we do have a very decent backup.
I don’t think he’s a really stellar backup but I digress.

So does Garrett get his radio time now? I won’t say anything bad about Tommy, he handled the benching well. Unlike his buddy Taj, who couldn’t handle one bit of criticism before taking his ball and going home. GTL Tommy.

I've felt very early on that Tommy picked the wrong football program to commit to. This situation with a poor offensive line, poor pass blocking, and questionable receiver talent was not the right place for him.

He would have done much better at a school where his style could be effectively implemented.

When he came here, WR spot was just fine. In fact, it has been until this year. He has a heck of an arm, but he doesn't feel pressure and can't make decisions under duress.

The O-line has been a strength this season, and in his few starts he was adequate at best. I really hope he does well somewhere, but I just don't see it. I keep hearing he just needs a really good oline and a few really good WR's. I'd guess most D1 QB's would do well with that. Again, I hope to see him succeed, but based on the past 3ish years, I'm skeptical he will.

Not sure where he might fit next season. Maybe Pitt? BC?

I don’t think he’s a really stellar backup but I digress.
This referred to a good backup (stellar) QB in general, not specifically Tommy. For ANY team, the Alabamas of the world included. I just meant that now the procedure has changed, any team will have problems having a really good backup QB sitting there. They are not going to want to wait for their turn while watching from the bench. They are used to running the show.

Well thought out if the purpose was to thank everyone but the staff that started you at QB for 25 games.
I’d wait and see what else he may have to say before bashing on him for not mentioning the coaches. Could be he has another message for them in particular. Of course he may be very butt hurt at the moment and intentionally left them out.

I’d wait and see what else he may have to say before bashing on him for not mentioning the coaches. Could be he has another message for them in particular. Of course he may be very butt hurt at the moment and intentionally left them out.
Tommy was a good team player, represented the University well. Everyone should wish him the best. This team was just a bad fit for his talents.

Perhaps the best arm ever to play at Syracuse. Underminded by questionable coaching and subpar talent at OL and WR.
I am predicting he will do well at a P6 school. Maybe even a UFA as a pro.
A shame that he was not better utilized.
Good luck Tommy. Thanks for your contribuations.

This just stinks why does it seem like Syracuse is getting killed in the portal and nobody else is

We should let him. I'm genuinely curious the Tommy perspective.
Please clue me in when that happens. I can be dense sometimes. Actually I know very good family friends, and will probably see them in a couple of weeks. The Devitos actually sat with our group 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom