Tommy Myers | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Myers

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I attended the Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame Induction last night at the OnCenter.

One of the inductees was former Syracuse Football safety, Tommy Myers.

I forgot just how good he was.

He was a great defender who could cover and hit. He had a knack for INTs. Perhaps his greatest game was 1970 at Penn State where he had three INTs in leading SU to a very unlikely upset.

He was tough and he was fast - a great punt returner.

He played in the old College All-Star Game - I think he was the MVP - was drafted by the New Orleans Saints and became an All-Pro - while playing eleven years in the League.

A truly great player.

In my opinion Tommy is the most underrated player in SU Football history.

After the event a bunch of friends and I met up with Tommy and his fellow SU teammates Karl Lombel, Ted Lahowicz and Paul Paolisso.

Great guys and lots of fun.

Last edited:
I attended the Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame Induction last night at the OnCenter.

He was a great defender who could cover and it. He had a knack for INTs. Perhaps his greatest game was 1970 at Penn State where he had three INTS in leading SU to a very unlikely upset.

He played in the old College All-Star Game - I think he was the MVP - was drafted by the New Orleans Saints and became an All-Pro - while playing eleven years in the League.

A truly great player.

After the event a bunch of friends and I met up with Tommy and his fellow SU teammates Karl Lombel, Ted Lahowicz and Paul Paolisso.

Great post. He was amazing. Fabulous punt returner

He was a great defender who could cover and it. He had a knack for INTs. Perhaps his greatest game was 1970 at Penn State where he had three INTS in leading SU to a very unlikely upset.

A truly great player.

Didn't Tommy graduate from F-M?

One of my all time favorite SU players. That is age revealing. Tommy was an accomplished lacrosse player as well.
My line coach in high school played lacrosse with him at SU and had a few Tommy stories. Can't recall a single one. Also age revealing.

So...I’m guessing the the 126 refers to your age?

Remarkable that Tommy Myers from F-M and Doug Swift from Nottingham were both starting safeties in the NFL in the 70s.

I still remember his appearance on the Bob Hope Christmas Special. He was 1st team A-A and they ran all the guys out in uniform and Bob would say a quick quip about each player.

Manning vs Jaworski

Still got the program.
16DD7083-59A2-46DD-B10C-140BCD21CDA4.jpeg

He was a great defender who could cover and hit. He had a knack for INTs. Perhaps his greatest game was 1970 at Penn State where he had three INTs in leading SU to a very unlikely upset.

A truly great player.

Didn't he play about 10 years in the NFL for the Saints?

I remember him well. probably our best player between Csonka and the Hurley-Monk-Morris triumvirate in the late 70's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom