Too early to guess at next year's rotation? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Too early to guess at next year's rotation?

Since we're stacked at the center position, could it be possible to play Keita on the wing of the zone? He's very quick and athletic for his size - pretty much the same body as Grant. Since defense trumps offense (for better or worse) in the Boeheim system:

Guard - Ennis, G, Cooney, Patterson (solid 4-man rotation with 2 shooters, a long slasher and a distributor)
Wing - Fair, Grant, Roberson, BJ, {G, Keita}
Center - Rak, DC, Keita

I can't imagine Boeheim pushing out one of the centers, which is essentially what would happen if they split 40 minutes and factor in who's playing well at the moment. BJ and Roberson probably get "Boeheimed," which is okay because I don't think they will outplay Fair or Grant. Anyone on the "Keita on the wing" train with me?

it doesnt matter. without melo returning a good team would destroy the zone with multiple shots. the better our field goal defense is means the more mutiple shots we give up. u can onle win with this plan with either a reincarnation o carmelo

I could see keita at the 4 at times maybe even starting.

PG: Ennis
SG:Gbinje
SF:Fair
PF: Keita
C: Coleman

Bench :
6th man: Grant(Sutherland role playing 20-25 mins a game off bench)
7th man:Rak
8th man:Cooney
9th man:Robertson
10th man: Patterson

that would be main rotation with top 8 getting the bulk of the minutes. My feeling is that coleman and keita will have to play together(at the 4 and 5 either starting or bench) since dc doesn't know the nuances of the zone

"I could see keita at the 4 at times maybe even starting."

keita may indeed get a start at the 4 but just like rax will never be an effective player there.
unless JB decides to flip from a 2/3 zone to a 3/2 the two centers just will never work.
problem with that sentence is it contains both the words JB and CHANGE. won't happen.

I could see, Gbinije, Ennis, Dajuan, Fair and Patterson all showing some isolation ball thats really good news. Something we really lacked this year.

Keita at the four depends on offense. For that to work we need a big that can score, will run out of the high post, and can dribble some. Like having Jr Rick out there with AO. We needed AO in the high post.
I hope Rak comes back I think this is the offseason he developes fundamentals.

What kind of scorer will Ennis be? I think we will see two guards that look to score when he isn't in the game.
Alot is going to run through Ennis and what he brings. If he can't score and neither can Keita/Rak I doubt we will see both in the game together to long. We might see them more with Gbinije and Patterson or Cooney.

Its hard to see Baye, DC2 and Rak all playing decent minutes. CJ and Grant will be locked in stone major minutes at the forward spots and we bring in two very talented forwards in Roberson and Johnson. I would not be shocked to see Rak leave but if he doesn't someone is getting a lot of bench time.

I think I'd go with Jake's starting line up:
Ennis
MikeG
CJ
Grant
DC2

One thing I would say as far as depth chart is that if we struggle to score and BJ plays defense he could become that 3rd forward.

I know a lot of people are seeing next year is a down year but I'm pretty excited for it.

My predictions: Nothing too bold

Outlook: A lot of raw talent, I expect 1 or 2 players to make the jump. Grant will definitely make the jump. Gbinjie, Cooney, Rak, Coleman all have the possibility of making a big jump. BMK is solid as ever but I don't expect him to see a jump stats wise but will offer senior leadership.
MCW is gone (every year with this guys, come on. Most of the time if a guy can leave, he does.)
CJ Stays and become an all time favorite orangeman (already is in my book).

Starting Lineup:
PG: Ennis
SG: Cooney
SF: Fair
PF: Grant
C: Christmas
6th: Gbinjie
7th: BMK
8th: Coleman

Rest of the team doesn't see significant playing time, one redshirt. We'll have a pretty good mix of wings, big men, and guards, not too many standouts though.

Team Leaders:
Rebounds: Grant
Assists: Ennis
Blocks: Grant
Steals: Ennis

Pg: Ennis
2G: Gbinje

Baye Cooney and Roberson off the bench w/ Buss #9.

Gut feeling is Rak isn't back. Roberson is really really good.

CJ will have to shoot 20 shots per game. That's a really young team.

Your right about CJ, at first I disagreed with your assessement last night that next years team might be like the 97 squad but on second look you are right, wow that team is young. Going to really need to get a lot of O from G and Grant and a big improvement from Cooney. Need to get some scoring from Coleman as well, to much to ask BMK to suddenly start dropping 10 a game. Any chance we take a flyer on a grad kid a la the kid from Xavier who starred at Zona this year.

If I were a betting man I'd bet he starts over Cooney. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Patterson gets more pt than Cooney.

Surprised at the lack of love for Cooney here. Granted, his shot wasn't there but it easy to see how good it should be. His D was terrific. He's better at taking it to the hole than we expected. Yes, some frosh mistakes but I really like his potential.

Don't see Keita or Xmas at the 4, both are so limited on the offensive end. Coleman has the potential to be a scorer in the post, not so much for the other two. Hope I am wrong, but it is so painful to watch Xmas try to create something for himself. At least Keita realizes he is limited and adjusts his game to just put backs and layups. Better with a smaller/quicker lineup that can shoot. Grant is already a better rebounder than either Keita or Xmas, so what do you gain on the defensive end?

If only MCW leaves...

Ennis
Cooney
Fair
Christmas
Coleman

If MCW and Christmas leave.

Ennis
Cooney
Fair
Grant
Coleman

Surprised at the lack of love for Cooney here. Granted, his shot wasn't there but it easy to see how good it should be. His D was terrific. He's better at taking it to the hole than we expected. Yes, some frosh mistakes but I really like his potential.

Not lack of love - more disappointment. I expected a lot more out of Cooney this year after redshirting. I think he has a lot to prove next year. I hope he really works on his shot and confidence next year. Obviously we have seen similar players progress (ie Rautins), but I'm not sure what his ceiling is in this program. That's why I say don't sleep on "bus" getting into rotation (he looks like he has a legit j/game), and I'd be very surprised if Gbinje is not a starter next year.

PG - Ennis
SG - Gbinije
SF - Fair
PF - Grant
C - Christmas

6th - DC2 (in a shocking upset because I legitimately believe he's going to make a big jump)
7th - BMK
8th - Cooney (ahead of Roberson because of lack of G depth)
9th - Roberson
10th - Buss
11th - BJ
12th - Chino
Cooney starts.

Cooney may not shoot 45% from 3 next year (though he very well could), but he will be, at the very least, sufficient for this team. He will be here until he graduates. I know we've been spoiled with lottery pick guards the past few years, but he will a Scoop Jardine/Rick Jackson-type guy that will become increasingly valuable as he gets older. He may end up as the third guard his whole career at SU but that says more about how great the program has become because Cooney really is a solid player.

Pg: Ennis
2G: Gbinje

Baye Cooney and Roberson off the bench w/ Buss #9.

Gut feeling is Rak isn't back. Roberson is really really good.

CJ will have to shoot 20 shots per game. That's a really young team.

Pretty much agree with the above, but sad to say it I think someone will be an academic casualty by ACC season, Gbinje will be our usual headcase, Cooney will continue to struggle and all of these factors will combine to open up time for BJ.

Cheers,
Neil

Wild and crazy speculation, and that's what makes it fun. 95% of these guesses will be wrong, and mine is sure to be a fail. :)
If both Cooney and MikeG prove inadequate bringing the ball up and leading an offense from the point, look for Patterson or BJ to move up.

If CJ leaves:
PG Ennis
SG MikeG
SF Grant
PF Rak
C DC2
6 Cooney, SG/PG
7 BMK C
8 Roberson PF/SF
T9 Patterson SG/PG
T9 BJ SG/SF
Redshirt Chino

If Rak leaves:
PG Ennis
SG MikeG
SF CJ
PF Grant
C DC2
6 Cooney, SG/PG
7 BMK C
8 Roberson PF/SF
T9 Patterson SG/PG
T9 BJ SG/SF
Redshirt Chino

If Both leave:
PG Ennis
SG MikeG
SF Roberson
PF Grant
C DC2
6 BMK C
7 Cooney, SG/PG
T8 Patterson SG/PG
T8 BJ SG/SF
Redshirt Chino

If neither leave:
PG Ennis
SG MikeG
SF Fair
PF Rak
C DC2
6 Grant PF/SF
7 Cooney, SG/PG
8 BMK C
9 Roberson PF/SF
T10 Patterson SG/PG
T10 BJ SG/SF
Redshirt Chino

If I were a betting man I'd bet he starts over Cooney. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Patterson gets more pt than Cooney.

Cooney seems like a nice kid and real hard worker and he got a minute or two this year because we literally have two guards - reality is we are in the same spot again next year if MCW is dumb enough to leave - but I cant see him getting anything but minutes out of necessity and he is in the process of being recruited over - not only is his talent level sub par he does not fit into Boeheim's zone

If I were a betting man the SG position (as with all playing time) will come down to the ability to play effectively in the zone defense. Rightly or wrongly this is how JB usually has doled out playing time (see DC2). If Gbinije can master the intricacies of playng on D and can be a much more effective sharpshooter, then I agree with you. Not banking on it though.
Agree about defense. Too many folks get all jacked up about someone's (supposed) offensive ability. If you can' t play defense, you won't be getting too many minutes. Just ask Christmas. He is still learning to play the zone effectively. And we all know the main reason DaJuan sat on the bench.
If you don't know the system, you won't play very much.

Agree about defense. Too many folks get all jacked up about someone's (supposed) offensive ability. If you can' t play defense, you won't be getting too many minutes. Just ask Christmas. He is still learning to play the zone effectively. And we all know the main reason DaJuan sat on the bench.
If you don't know the system, you won't play very much.
The defensive knowledge and play can make a big difference in the center position but other than there I think that offense is needed. You didn't see J Flynn or Eric D out there because of anything related to D. More recently we saw JS out there over Grant, not based on defensive capabilities.

1G- Ennis
2G- Gbinije
3F-Fair
4F-Grant
5F-Rak

Guard Bench
1- Cooney
2-Buss

Forward Bench
1-Roberson
2- BJ

Center Bench
1) BMK
2) Coleman
(I think the rotation here will be often though)

Chino Redshirts.

I think people are underestimating us next year we have one of the best elements, isolation.

Mike , Ennis, Patterson, and Dajuan haven't proven isolation yet but I wouldn't be surprised if all four have it next year.
On top of that we have CJ's isolation.

My reason for feeling this way is...

I feel Ennis is faster then Mikes freshmen year with a second gear in isolation. Mike would go around defenses as a high school senior. Ennis is going through the heart of them and is extremely in control with his dribble while he does.

Patterson has a pretty nice drive and in his clips has a nice pullup when he dribbles left. He needs to work on pulling up dribbling right some in the offseason. Athletic and strong long arms good for the lane, and can make some tough layups.

Dajuan is already showing some isolation he just needs the defense to stay on the floor. He needs to work on his verticle some especially for rebounding. Also needs to work on layup up with outstretched arms because he really can seal off.

Gbinije looked like josh pace in transition. I am guessing like Brandon he might not have the dribbling skills to break his man down for isolation but hes so fast with the ball in the open court and has the strength. I know he has a killer second gear and can run forever, but a jabstep/ Carmelolike-firstep and lane pullup/floater will decide if he can get by his man one on one.
Curious on his pullup. Hope he shoots alot in the offseason.

CJ developed isolation as the season went on. If he comes back next year he will be even alittle better at it, and work on nba 3 point range.

If Ennis and Patterson develop the iso, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gbinije play the three with those two in the backcourt. That would be in our best interests.

If anyone disagrees curious why.

Mike G at point
Buss at 2
cj at 3
grant 4
coleman at 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics