Too much of a good thing | Syracusefan.com

Too much of a good thing

SWC75

Bored Historian
They say competition is a good thing but I had a little too much of it today. The SU football game, the SU basketball game and the CNS high school playoff game were all on at the same time and all three of the teams I was rooting for were losing. I had the football on a muted TV, the basketball on the radio and the CNS game on the internet, also muted.

The SU football game was long long lost, a very sad affair but I always watch to the end. The SU basketball team got off to another one of their bad starts and was down 2-7. They came back to take the lead but struggled to pull away from what turned out to be a pretty good Texas Southern team. We led by 8 at half time, built up a 23 point lead at 53-30 only to see the Texans pull back to within 69-57, (that's a 16-27 stretch) before SU got ti back up to 17 and won 80-67.

CNS, facing Section 6's champ, Lancaster, who has the best defensive team in the state, (they just shut out perennial power Aquinas last week), gave up a TD on the opening kick-off, then dominated the rest of the half but could never score as Lancaster would find a way to stop them before they could complete the drives. Coonor Hayes suffered some kind of foot injury and the Northstars couldn't seem to get free on their runs the way they have all season. It was 0-6 at the half. But CNS came out with detemination in the second half and did get a long run for a score. They then drove for another one late in the third but a penalty after that score forced them to kickoff from deep int heir territory and the lack of a kicking game has hurt them all year.

Lancaster got the ball at midfield and had a fellow named Joe Andreessen, a 6-2 220 bowling ball who had been playing tackle and linebacker on defense, take over in the "wildcat" West Genesee made famous a decade ago. This guy has Csonka-like power: he bowled over a 280 pounder and on ever play kept his legs churning forward breaking tackles and falling forward. But he had the speed to out-run defensive backs when he broke free, as he did in three straight scoring drives. If there's any way Dino can recruit this guy, he's exactly what he's looking for in an up-the-gut running back.

Meanwhile the Northstars one answering drive ended in an interception in front of the end zone. Hayes was clearly hobbled and kept under pressure by the Lancaster defense. He made a lot of throws on the run without being able to plant his injured foot and the result was several interceptions. He did manage to score on a long pass play with a bout 3 1/2 minutes to go to make it 21-28 and the Northstars got the ball the back but a pick six closed the show and end the Northstar's season.

it was entertaining but it wasn't fun. Time to see what's on Turner Classic Movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom