Top 10 PGs all-time per ESPN | Syracusefan.com

Top 10 PGs all-time per ESPN

Isiah below Stockton.
lol

We get it. He's a bad guy and a bad GM and a bad coach and a bad CEO.

He was better than Stockton.

Stockton was All-NBA 11 times compared to only five times for Isiah. Stockton was All-NBA Defense five times compared to zero for Isiah. And if the name is the game for a PG is distributing the ball, they aren't even close in terms of all-time assists. I know Stockton had the benefit of playing with Malone, but Isiah played with a number of stars as well.

CP3 higher.

Curry just needs a couple more seasons for the longevity argument.

Frazier loses a lot over time. When he retired he was #1 in FG% for guards and an all time defender.
He also faced far greater big men in the lane than today's players. Should be ahead of Steph and Paul at this time.

Frazier loses a lot over time. When he retired he was #1 in FG% for guards and an all time defender.
He also faced far greater big men in the lane than today's players. Should be ahead of Steph and Paul at this time.
Clyde didn't put up the gaudy scoring or assist numbers of most on that list, and his greatest strength (his defense) was not as quantifiable in his day. West was also a tremendous defender. Hate seeing those guys become an afterthought in these kinds of conversations.

Right, too soon to place him that high, although he may get there. And if you consider Jerry West a PG, he's top 6 or better among that group.
Gotta be a SG. He was so money.

Gotta be a SG. He was so money.
He had the ball in his hands a lot and racked up a lot of assists. Look at the guards on the teams he played on and tell me who were the point guards.

He had the ball in his hands a lot and racked up a lot of assists. Look at the guards on the teams he played on and tell me who were the point guards.
I just picture that smooth stroke and think he had to be more of a SG.

Stockton was All-NBA 11 times compared to only five times for Isiah. Stockton was All-NBA Defense five times compared to zero for Isiah. And if the name is the game for a PG is distributing the ball, they aren't even close in terms of all-time assists. I know Stockton had the benefit of playing with Malone, but Isiah played with a number of stars as well.

Based on that thinking...

Isiah was All NBA 1st team 3 times, Stockton only 2.
Isiah was a 12 time All Star, Stockton 10.
Isiah, Finals MVP.
Isiah, 2 titles

All time assists? Sure, he played 6 more years. They average within 1 assist per game of each other though.
Isiah was a MUCH better scorer...and didn't play with an all time PF on his team to boost his assists on pick and rolls.

Isiah consistently gets knocked down on these type of lists (and the Dream Team for that matter) because he's a and no one likes him.

Just my opinion, of course.

I forgot to add...I don't take any of these All NBA, All Star, Pro Bowl, etc awards into that much consideration. Too much writer bias.

I mean, Steve Nash is a two time MVP and I don't think anyone would suggest he's better than Stockton or Isiah

I just picture that smooth stroke and think he had to be more of a SG.
Today he'd be called a combo guard. In his day he was just called a guard. Some of my first memories of watching basketball were seeing him in those Sunday afternoon games. Man, could he play.

Isiah, Finals MVP.
Isiah, 2 titles

All time assists? Sure, he played 6 more years. They average within 1 assist per game of each other though.
Isiah was a MUCH better scorer...and didn't play with an all time PF on his team to boost his assists on pick and rolls.

Isiah consistently gets knocked down on these type of lists (and the Dream Team for that matter) because he's a . . . . . and no one likes him.

i agree 100%. if anything i think isiah is underrated as a player. if im starting a team im taking isiah over stockton without question. 16 points in 90 seconds to force ot game 5 '84 playoffs against knicks. 25 points in 3rd qtr against lakers in '88 finals on a severely sprained ankle. stockton was incredibly consistent but couldnt dream of doing some of things isiah did on the court.

Isiah, Finals MVP.
Isiah, 2 titles

Isiah consistently gets knocked down on these type of lists (and the Dream Team for that matter) because he's a . . . . . and no one likes him.

I think the Stockton vs. Isiah debate is similar to the Duncan vs. Shaq debate. If you're asking me who I would rather have at their 3-year pinnacle, I would take Isiah 1985-1988 and Shaq 1999-2002 over any 3-year stretch for Stockton and Duncan. But I would take the latter guys if we're talking the entire body of work of a career.

Isiah, Finals MVP.
Isiah, 2 titles

100% right. And I don't like Isiah either! I always rooted against him, and have always thought he seemed like an ahole(I do enjoy him on NBATV though). He was a great player. Definitely better than Stockton. He tore his achilles and was out of hoops by his early 30's, and also sacrificed some of his own personal stats when the Pistons were winning championships. He was a top 3-4 player in basketball for years.

1. Magic
2. Oscar
3. Stockton
4. Steph Curry
5. Isiah
6. Chris Paul
7. Steve Nash
8. Jason Kidd
9. Walt Frazier
10. Bob Cousy

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankPGs/ranking-top-10-point-guards-ever

Pretty good list -- but I definitely don't think Curry belongs that high yet.

I realize Curry is on a great roll, but fourth-best pg ever? This lovefest is a tad outta control. He's had one great year and a half, some good years, but fourth-best ever? Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom