top HS recruits waiting. | Syracusefan.com

top HS recruits waiting.

SBU72

All Conference
USA Today had a story on how 6 of the top 10 recruits still had not committed and another 2 - 4 top 20. Most ever in modern recruiting. While none would admit it but the story points out that they were waiting to see who from the top schools were leaving. One last point was Calipari was leaving on a recruiting trip saying he had another 3 or 4 to sign.

I wonder if watching everybody in America root against Kentucky will scare any of them away. Maybe they don't want to be the villain? Probably not, but fun to think about

SBU72 said:
USA Today had a story on how 6 of the top 10 recruits still had not committed and another 2 - 4 top 20. Most ever in modern recruiting. While none would admit it but the story points out that they were waiting to see who from the top schools were leaving. One last point was Calipari was leaving on a recruiting trip saying he had another 3 or 4 to sign.

Just waiting for their blue checks to clear. Nothing to see here.

Just further reason to change the game and let one and dones have a direct path to the nba. Its unreal this doesn't attract the ncaas attention no matter how inept they are. Almost comical really. Cap room available so free agents can sign now lol.

Looks like the Kentucky slush fund ran out.

Just further reason to change the game and let one and dones have a direct path to the nba. Its unreal this doesn't attract the ncaas attention no matter how inept they are. Almost comical really. Cap room available so free agents can sign now lol.

Or, we could take the oppossite approach and force D1 players to stay in CBB for two years. Gee, I don't know, maybe give the NBA a chuck of the billion dollars of ad revenue coming from the NCAA tournament. Just a thought. You know, what of those win-win kind of ideas.

Or, we could take the oppossite approach and force D1 players to stay in CBB for two years. Gee, I don't know, maybe give the NBA a chuck of the billion dollars of ad revenue coming from the NCAA tournament. Just a thought. You know, what of those win-win kind of ideas.
So, indentured servitude. Good.Why only D-1 players.
Would you have made Jordan Speith go to college for 2 years?

Dave85 said:

I'd prefer this: every kid who the NBA thinks could go in the first round gets drafted. Then the kid, parents, and team decide weather they are NBA ready or not. If not team can stash player in the dev league or the kid can elect to go to college. No agents until they decide.

Looks like the Kentucky slush fund ran out.
Well you could almost argue that Calipari's recruiting has not been successful considering he has only won one NC in six years in Lexington. Eighteen players drafted by the NBA. Great recruiter. How would you feel if you were a UK fan. Are you disappointed you only have one NC or are you happy to make the final four which they have done four of the last five years. Eventually the well is going to go dry. Hopefully sooner than later.

Well you could almost argue that Calipari's recruiting has not been successful considering he has only won one NC in six years in Lexington. Eighteen players drafted by the NBA. Great recruiter. How would you feel if you were a UK fan. Are you disappointed you only have one NC or are you happy to make the final four which they have done four of the last five years. Eventually the well is going to go dry. Hopefully sooner than later.

Great post! To be honest with you I had more fun rooting for Rautins, Jardine, Triche, Waiters, and MCW over the years. I like our 3 and 4 year players. The one-and-dones I wish we got to know better. Guys like Waiters and MCW made solid contributions to the program. Those are the players I like.

Someone should have forced Mark Zuckerberg, Paul Allen, Michael Dell, Larry Ellison and Bill Gates to stay in college longer than they did. Maybe they would have had more success in their professional lives.

What I would do for Thon Maker. Idk about anybody else, but his highlights are probably the best of anybody I have ever seen. He's like a more athletic Kevin durant.
I love his highlights as well, however after watching the Hoop Summit game, he did not quite seem the same player. He strikes me as a kid that has unlimited potential, but he will spend one year in college and then leave after not doing much.

It is a privilege to play NCAA D-1 Hoops not a right. If the NCAA/NBA agree to two years it won't make me lose any sleep...

You have more of a right to make money doing something you're good at.

I suppose its a privilege to play NCAA D1 just as the the NBA has a right to chose whom they want to make eligible for the draft and just liken the players association has a right to try and get themselves the best possible working situation and compensation. Its also obviously best if all 3 work together for the benefit of all which is unfortunately why I don't see any short term fix because all three are making big bucks the way things are right now.

As far as the NCAA however, they clearly benefit to make huge $$$$$'s off of these unpaid students. The NCAA, the schools, the coaches, the media and the advertisers benefit financially while the "student athletes" have very few real options, are almost forced into 1 year because of the NBA rule and aren't compensated other than education, room, board while also being unable to go out and support themselves. Its extremely exploitative.

He did go to college for a while (by his own choice of course), but I get your point. :)

Last edited:
Having Okafor and Towns etc. in the Final Four really hurt the NCAA this year.

I suppose its a privilege to play NCAA D1 just as the the NBA has a right to chose whom they want to make eligible for the draft and just liken the players association has a right to try and get themselves the best possible working situation and compensation. Its also obviously best if all 3 work together for the benefit of all which is unfortunately why I don't see any short term fix because all three are making big bucks the way things are right now.

As far as the NCAA however, they clearly benefit to make huge $$$$$'s off of these unpaid students. The NCAA, the schools, the coaches, the media and the advertisers benefit financially while the "student athletes" have very few real options, are almost forced into 1 year because of the NBA rule and aren't compensated other than education, room, board while also being unable to go out and support themselves. Its extremely exploitative.

It's interesting that you are only referencing 3 players in the conversation (and you are correct in doing so). NBA, NBA Players' Association and NCAA. The NCAA players have no seat at the table and no one putting their interests first. Unlike the NBA players who have a union looking out for them the NCAA players have to rely on the NCAA to do what is in their best interests. Unfortunately, the NCAA has way too much money at stake to do what is in the players' best interests. The NCAA should be acting in a kind of fiduciary capacity with respect to its student athletes, but it really isn't. Look no further than (i) one year renewable rather than four year guaranteed scholarships; (ii) prohibition on outside employment for scholarship athletes; (iii) forfeiture of eligibility as a condition of participating in the draft; (iv) requirement to sit out a year in order to transfer and I'm sure there are many more examples that make it clear that the NCAA puts its and its member institutions first and doesn't really do much more than pay lip service to taking care of student athletes.

You have more of a right to make money doing something you're good at.

Nobody is stopping them from earning a salary at 17 or 18...they can find a pro league somewhere and play.

Let's take it one step further...you guys saying the NCAA is using them...well as a taxpayer I feel used. These players who leave early made a mockery of the educational institution they were at. Let's be honest most of these kids playing at the top schools would not be accepted as a student on their HS transcript. So they are taking away opportunities for academic students who want to come in and actually stay for 4 years.

It is a privilege to play in college and the NBA.

The problem is the NBA not the NCAA. It should not be legal for the NBA to prevent younger players from joining the NBA if they are talented enough.

For everyone else, if it bothers you to play for free at a college - don't play. No one is forcing you to do it against your will.

The problem is the NBA not the NCAA. It should not be legal for the NBA to prevent younger players from joining the NBA if they are talented enough.

For everyone else, if it bothers you to play for free at a college - don't play. No one is forcing you to do it against your will.

The NBA players association is a union that is agreeing to this in conjunction with the NBA. I'm assuming all players are automatically in the Players Association Union. I think any privately owned business should have every right to decide what qualifications potential workers must have to be hired. I suppose you can go the age discrimination rout but we are talking about basically holding players off till they are 19 and even then its only 1 year removed from High School not actual age. I believe that the NBA should just let players go right out of High School but I don't believe they should be forced to do so if they don't want to.

No kids do not need to go to college. They can sit out a year or in a foreign country instead. Sitting out is a ridiculous solution however and playing overseas for an 18 year old English Speaking young man is likely very undesirable. As it stands their best option is a year at a major P5 school playing hoops. Just because its their best option does not mean that they are not being exploited. Look at the rules and what they have to sign and it becomes clear. They are not allowed to have jobs or to profit from their own likeness/autographs/pictures ect. How can you tell someone they cannot profit from being themselves? Are academic Scholarship students forbidden from getting a job or profiting from themselves in any way?

Nobody is stopping them from earning a salary at 17 or 18...they can find a pro league somewhere and play.

Let's take it one step further...you guys saying the NCAA is using them...well as a taxpayer I feel used. These players who leave early made a mockery of the educational institution they were at. Let's be honest most of these kids playing at the top schools would not be accepted as a student on their HS transcript. So they are taking away opportunities for academic students who want to come in and actually stay for 4 years.

It is a privilege to play in college and the NBA.
Come on now Eric Bledsoe was a great academic scholar in high school,:rolleyes: It was amazing how he went from a failure to getting qualified once he committed, but UK doesn't cheat according to some.

Having Okafor and Towns etc. in the Final Four really hurt the NCAA this year.

Exactly.. but one day they are there to ensure compliance.. the next they aren't responsible for students education. They are able to operate in the status quo due to the money that comes in. John Olivers scathing and hilarious roasting of the ncaa was so on point it was scary. Surely coke and company are advertising because of mark emmerts marketability... not because of towns/okafor.