top HS recruits waiting. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

top HS recruits waiting.

tbonezone said:
60+ K in tuition and board. and you call that playing for free ?

I have to say, as someone who has a crushing amount of student debt, that's a pretty sweet deal to graduate without any.

It's 20 + year second mortgage for me - it ain't nothing.

Someone should have forced Mark Zuckerberg, Paul Allen, Michael Dell, Larry Ellison and Bill Gates to stay in college longer than they did. Maybe they would have had more success in their professional lives.
I suppose if these high school kids were starting their own basketball leagues your analogy would be accurate.

The problem is the NBA not the NCAA. It should not be legal for the NBA to prevent younger players from joining the NBA if they are talented enough.

For everyone else, if it bothers you to play for free at a college - don't play. No one is forcing you to do it against your will.
Is it legal for companies to have training/experience background requirements for people to have jobs there? Many jobs have age requirements. Doesn't NYS require people to be 21 to serve alcohol? Age/training requirements to operate heavy machinery? There are untold number of jobs that have specific job requirements, so for the NBA to set a requirement is not uncommon.

60+ K in tuition and board. and you call that playing for free ?
It's not money, is it? I assume you're going to into your supervisor's office tomorrow and saying that you're happy with being paid in the widgets that your company produces? Additionally, that tuition rate is about as accurate as hollywood accounting. Most colleges discount tuition heavily to get students in the door. Just because they're saying it's worth $60k, doesn't mean that it is.

These guys are only in college because they're not given much of a choice. An 18 year old can either go overseas and be bullied by a team of foreign nationals where he doesn't speak the language or he can go to college and f**k off for a year and let some administrators and coaches get rich off of him. It's a scam.

I suppose if these high school kids were starting their own basketball leagues your analogy would be accurate.
It won't happen because there's an exceptionally high hurdle to entry.

The best solution is to not stand in the way and protect a business that doesn't pay for it's primary resource, the players, and just let the market do its job. If these kids are worth so much money that a huge operation has to stand in the way to prevent them from getting paid (from boosters, coaches, AAU coaches, etc.), then it's probably best to just change the system.

SBU72 said:
Is it legal for companies to have training/experience background requirements for people to have jobs there? Many jobs have age requirements. Doesn't NYS require people to be 21 to serve alcohol? Age/training requirements to operate heavy machinery? There are untold number of jobs that have specific job requirements, so for the NBA to set a requirement is not uncommon.

They do have requirements. Be good at basketball or at least show the promise of being good at playing basketball. The job description is "make your owner rich".

It's not money, is it? I assume you're going to into your supervisor's office tomorrow and saying that you're happy with being paid in the widgets that your company produces? Additionally, that tuition rate is about as accurate as hollywood accounting. Most colleges discount tuition heavily to get students in the door. Just because they're saying it's worth $60k, doesn't mean that it is.

These guys are only in college because they're not given much of a choice. An 18 year old can either go overseas and be bullied by a team of foreign nationals where he doesn't speak the language or he can go to college and f**k off for a year and let some administrators and coaches get rich off of him. It's a scam.

It won't happen because there's an exceptionally high hurdle to entry.

The best solution is to not stand in the way and protect a business that doesn't pay for it's primary resource, the players, and just let the market do its job. If these kids are worth so much money that a huge operation has to stand in the way to prevent them from getting paid (from boosters, coaches, AAU coaches, etc.), then it's probably best to just change the system.
lol

free room and board
food
facilities
trainers
doctors
gyms
flights around the country
prep for job (NBA)
sneakers
clothes
etc.

these poor kids, someone should do something

Note: Not listed -> Education, because 95% of athletes actually do care about an education, the other 5% have other options, but guess what this is actually the next best option to going straight to the NBA

lol

free room and board
food
facilities
trainers
doctors
gyms
prep for job (NBA)
sneakers
clothes
etc.

Note: Not listed -> Education, because 95% of athletes actually do care about an education, the other 5% have other options, but guess what this is actually the next best option to going straight to the NBA
I suggest you watch some of the recent stories Brian Gumble did on HBO's Real Sports show. Players with sports injuries find they have no health or rehab insurance when they have career ending injuries; coaches bullying and abusing athletes and taking away their scholarships; and because the NCAA refuses to admit that they are performing jobs, they aren't eligible for workman's comp when they have career ending injuries and they lose their scholarships. Real eye opening reports I'd recommend to all. You can catch them on HBO On Demand.

Last edited:
Garbs said:
lol

free room and board
food
facilities
trainers
doctors
gyms
prep for job (NBA)
sneakers
clothes
etc.

And how much of that can be spent to pay for something? If my boss said that I would get all of that stuff instead of my paycheck, o would tell hey to screw off and go find a new job.

Only problem is these kids have to real choice even though there clearly is a market for there skills.

Zimmerman to UNLV over Kentucky!

I am really hoping that Newman and Maker shun Kentucky as well. I work with a couple of Kentucky fans and they really want Newman more than any other. The funny thing is that they are really not too familiar with Maker and not sure if they want him. I told them they are nuts. Maker would be on my board before Newman.

I suggest you watch some of the recent stories Brian Gumble did on HBO's Real Sports show. Players with sports injuries find they have no health or rehab insurance when they have career ending injuries; coaches bullying and abusing athletes and taking away their scholarships; and because the NCAA refuses to admit that they are performing jobs, they aren't eligible for workman's comp when they have career ending injuries and they lose their scholarships. Real eye opening reports I'd recommend to all. You can catch them on HBO On Demand.
I know all about it.

Again boohoo hoo, these poor kids.

And how much of that can be spent to pay for something? If my boss said that I would get all of that stuff instead of my paycheck, o would tell hey to screw off and go find a new job.

Only problem is these kids have to real choice even though there clearly is a market for there skills.
There are choices and I will repeat it again, this must be the best option because they ain't picking anything else.