Transcript of Shafer Presser... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Transcript of Shafer Presser...

Syracuse Head Coach Scott Shafer
(Opening statement)
The reason I kept Eric in the game is because we were fighting to see if we could go down the field and see if we couldn't get a couple more touchdowns and try to make it a great comeback situation. I feel horrible that he got hit. If I had 20-20 hindsight, I would've taken him out the play before that or something, but I don't. I feel bad about that. Hopefully he'll be ok.”

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that he had to try to explain the decision to have ED in the game at point (because ED was still actually in the game) or the explanation that he provided. Going into today I was okay with him getting one more season, now I don't want him to finish this one.

E: For the record, I still think he is a standup guy and wish him all the best.

Last edited:
CuseCPT said:
I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that he had to try to explain the decision to have ED in the game at point (because ED was still actually in the game) or the explanation that he provided. Going into today I was okay with him getting one more season, now I don't want him to finish this one.

He makes Jim Tomsula sound coherent.

I will say watching that I feel bad for SS. He looks crushed and knows what is coming.
However, leaving in Dungey to get that hit really really ticked me off.

That last answer he clearly knows he is done. I don't think the man will be without a job for long. He just isn't a HC. Your family doesn't need to worry about money coach.

Last edited:
I will say watching that I feel bad for SS. He looks crushed and knows what is coming.

That last answer he clearly knows he is done. I don't think the man will be without a job for long. He just isn't a HC. Your family doesn't need to worry about money coach.
I don't think that's what he meant at all. He made a reference about how difficult it is to coach when they're losing because he views these kids as his family. Did you ever read the Syracuse.com story of where he and his wife lived after they got married? He likely knows all of these kids life stories, living in poverty and probably lucky to have a dad to grow up with. I'm certain he hired his coordinators with the same outlook. I feel terrible for him and had really hoped he would be able to pull it together.

I don't think that's what he meant at all. He made a reference about how difficult it is to coach when they're losing because he views these kids as his family. Did you ever read the Syracuse.com story of where he and his wife lived after they got married? He likely knows all of these kids life stories, living in poverty and probably lucky to have a dad to grow up with. I'm certain he hired his coordinators with the same outlook. I feel terrible for him and had really hoped he would be able to pull it together.
I read the story and feel the same way you do. However, the time has come to move on!

I thought the closing statement was great. The responses about how he doesn't understand what it is to struggle economically because of the money he makes are totally off base. He was talking to the kids, many of whom come from poor backgrounds. He was talking about them. And what he said was very good.

I feel for Dungey. But if he keeps running like that, his days of playing are numbered, garbage time or not.

Yeah, the announcers were saying that the coaches have tried to get him to stay in the pocket and let others make the plays but that just isn't happening. I do think he needed to come out around that time but that was more timing than anything. Another couple of plays and he would have been off the field.

sorry, i'm just logging in now and refusing to read abou tthe game yesterday.

Stephen Bailey specifically said it was neck/collarbone for Dungey... It was his head?!

If thats the case, he has no shot at a meaningful football career. It is too easy for him to get concussions.

He could get hit like that in any game for the remainder of the season or next year. What difference does it make.

Any kid is always 1 play away from retiring from football.

To me, when the kid takes a hit is irrelevant, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom