Transfers & Offensive Line | Syracusefan.com

Transfers & Offensive Line

TheOrangeBuddha

Scout Team
One would assume that Dino and staff would be searching the transfer portal for offensive line help, including immediately reaching out to players they previously recruited. One would further assume that the staff has someone monitoring the transfer portal 24/7 and or has set up the proper alerts from the portal for immediate notification of new entries.

However, this doesn’t seem to be the case. There has been no contact with Johnny Jordan (3-year starting center, HM all-Big Ten, transferring from Maryland) or his former teammate Marcus Minor.

This is dereliction of duty. I am not saying that the staff must successfully recruit these kids to Syracuse, but to not even reach out to them is bad.

Peace

One would assume that Dino and staff would be searching the transfer portal for offensive line help, including immediately reaching out to players they previously recruited. One would further assume that the staff has someone monitoring the transfer portal 24/7 and or has set up the proper alerts from the portal for immediate notification of new entries.

However, this doesn’t seem to be the case. There has been no contact with Johnny Jordan (3-year starting center, HM all-Big Ten, transferring from Maryland) or his former teammate Marcus Minor.

This is dereliction of duty. I am not saying that the staff must successfully recruit these kids to Syracuse, but to not even reach out to them is bad.

Peace
And you know this how?

Peace
Any idea why? Does the staff think we're good at OL?

Peace
Huhh?

Indeed, the oline has under performed. I dont think we recruited all G5 or FCS linemen. Hopefully, that gets fixed. If it doesn't? The entire staff can't make it past next year.

To your point? Its only a dereliction of duty if they cant fix it. Its still early. If we need to rely on guys that were coached up elsewhere? So be it.

I think Dino has a man crush on Servais. It must be the Sampson-esque hair.
But I cannot remember a worse OL in my 55 years of following Syracuse football who was held in such high esteem.
Agree with your 2cnd point. However. A healthy Serv at tackle? Could easily be 1st team ACC, imo.

I'd like to see him play without an injury that made him have difficulty walking.

Well then, why the hell was he playing, if he was so hurt that he couldn't walk?

Seriously. I'm tired of all the damn excuses. We have 18 OL on the roster. It seems like we only play 6-7 of them, and none of the others are ever given a look - even when starters are playing hurt!

To hear that 2 of the 6 or 7 are hurt every year before the season even starts says something is seriously wrong with our current approach.

Cross training positions is also a reason our OL sucks. Teach guys to do one thing first, adequately and competently, before you start trying to teach them other positions.

I completely agree that the staff needs to get a center but maybe there focusing on nt heavily at this time. There will also probably be another 200 plus players enter the portal after spring. But we do know they are going into the portal.

Dino and staff found us what would appear to be a solid QB prospect Shrader to help push the QB room. It’s not even January and people are panicking already about the off-season? I am confused, is it already July 2021? Is camp starting tomorrow? I would hold off on judging Dino and staffs off season until ya know the off season is done.

You would back him up with whom?
I think the bigger problem that was touched on, is why are the OL always coming into the season already short handed from LBI? Is the conditioning program the issue? Strength training?
It's one thing to lose a guy or two to injuries or forced retirement yearly. It's another completely to lose 4-5 underclassmen in two years to retirement by injuries AND also start the season with another 4-5 sidelined anywhere from 3 weeks to a whole season before the first meaningful snap.

So why have we effectively started each of the last two years with less than a two deep ready to go?

Technique? Training? Poor evaluation?

I think the bigger problem that was touched on, is why are the OL always coming into the season already short handed from LBI? Is the conditioning program the issue? Strength training?
It's one thing to lose a guy or two to injuries or forced retirement yearly. It's another completely to lose 4-5 underclassmen in two years to retirement by injuries AND also start the season with another 4-5 sidelined anywhere from 3 weeks to a whole season before the first meaningful snap.

So why have we effectively started each of the last two years with less than a two deep ready to go?

Technique? Training? Poor evaluation?
Dino is addressing this by bringing in 5 guys.
This year? A lot of flukes. Stair injury. Shutdown caused a miss on severity of 1 injury. Being out of the program for 3 months may have lead to a couple more.

Your point still stands. For those that aren't injured? It would be nice to see them ready to stand in, if need be.

Dino and staff found us what would appear to be a solid QB prospect Shrader to help push the QB room. It’s not even January and people are panicking already about the off-season? I am confused, is it already July 2021? Is camp starting tomorrow? I would hold off on judging Dino and staffs off season until ya know the off season is done.

Koda Martin didn't transfer to SU until April

Well this post is going to get people riled up. You know you can’t question the staff after a 1 win season. They’re doing everything right, you just can’t see it.
It's fine to question the staff and they deserve to be questioned on a number of issues. Not aiming this at you dawg but why are people getting worked up about the oline not being fixed yet for next year? Seems to me that would be a concern raised going into camp. Lots of time to address the need. Merry Christmas all!

Well then, why the hell was he playing, if he was so hurt that he couldn't walk?

Seriously. I'm tired of all the damn excuses. We have 18 OL on the roster. It seems like we only play 6-7 of them, and none of the others are ever given a look - even when starters are playing hurt!

To hear that 2 of the 6 or 7 are hurt every year before the season even starts says something is seriously wrong with our current approach.

Cross training positions is also a reason our OL sucks. Teach guys to do one thing first, adequately and competently, before you start trying to teach them other positions.
Its called coaching. Give the BC Oline coach, heck give the Buffalo Oline coach our guys and i would bet serious money our line would perform significantly better.

It's fine to question the staff and they deserve to be questioned on a number of issues. Not aiming this at you dawg but why are people getting worked up about the oline not being fixed yet for next year? Seems to me that would be a concern raised going into camp. Lots of time to address the need. Merry Christmas all!

I agree, it’s only December but o-line has been a concern most of the time the staff has been here. So assuming it’ll just get better and it’s early so we still have time, I think it’s the position where it’s fair to be nervous in December. Especially if there are potential players with experience already that haven’t been reached out to. That’s a huge concern. Not sure how waiting is the best approach. Those players aren’t going to be around long unless they choose to wait.

I agree, it’s only December but o-line has been a concern most of the time the staff has been here. So assuming it’ll just get better and it’s early so we still have time, I think it’s the position where it’s fair to be nervous in December. Especially if there are potential players with experience already that haven’t been reached out to. That’s a huge concern. Not sure how waiting is the best approach. Those players aren’t going to be around long unless they choose to wait.
Fair enough. The oline performance has been an issue that predates Dino and I am with you. The guy the OP notes just entered the portal Tuesday afternoon and today is Thursday. Even if his inside information was 100% accurate, I am not sure that 1.5 days going by before contact is egregious.