Transfers & Offensive Line | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Transfers & Offensive Line

Alright. I’m out on this thread lol. I think my original point got lost, probably by me and I’ve now heard info that has me feeling good about the staff anyway. So I don’t want what I was trying to say to come off as a bash on the staff b/c I think we’re okay with what’s going on behind the scenes.

Well then, why the hell was he playing, if he was so hurt that he couldn't walk?

Seriously. I'm tired of all the damn excuses. We have 18 OL on the roster. It seems like we only play 6-7 of them, and none of the others are ever given a look - even when starters are playing hurt!

To hear that 2 of the 6 or 7 are hurt every year before the season even starts says something is seriously wrong with our current approach.

Cross training positions is also a reason our OL sucks. Teach guys to do one thing first, adequately and competently, before you start trying to teach them other positions.
With opting out and other injuries those who could play had to or the season could have been scratched. Chris Elmore saved the season by goin to the "O" line as it was. Dino Babers: We wouldn't have played if Chris Elmore didn't ...2020 was a very unique year. That is not an excuse. That is a fact.

If Buddha - an infrequent poster - says something about our outreach to certain players in recruiting, just understand that he is in a position to have very good information.
There's information and there's information. He shared that our coaches hadn't reached out to 2 guys in the portal that we recruited out of high school. From that, he offered that our coaches are derelict I their duties. The former is information. The latter is speculation. It is quite possible that the coaching staff hasn't reached out to these two for reasons the OP is unaware, is it not? Is every P5 staff derelict if they don't reach out to these two? I mean, every program can at least use depth.
Maybe it's my military past coming out, but dereliction of duties is kind of a serious accusation to me. I don't know. Apparently I'm in the minority here.

What’s the speculation with jardeavon howard and abdul adams?

What’s the speculation with jardeavon howard and abdul adams?

The consensus at the time of the announcement was that neither was coming back.
It's a shame, especially about Adams, who I think could have been a great back for us.

Alright. I’m out on this thread lol. I think my original point got lost, probably by me and I’ve now heard info that has me feeling good about the staff anyway. So I don’t want what I was trying to say to come off as a bash on the staff b/c I think we’re okay with what’s going on behind the scenes.
So... are you “out?” Or are you going into the poster Transfer portal?

So... are you “out?” Or are you going into the poster Transfer portal?

Yes, RutgersAl has already reached out. There was something with “pounding it hard”, I kind of got lost with what that had to do with the Rutgers football board. Ended up having to block him, it got weird really quick.

Do you know why those two guys didn't choose SU? I don't. But, it's possible they didn't have serious interest in SU the first time around. I don't know if the coaches are being "derelict" or not, but I know that's not the only potential reason for the lack of contact that you reference.
You also didn't provide any basis for your assertion other than you've posted good things in the past.

SU was in Jordan’s final 4. It is derelict to not reach out. If told no or not interested by Jordan, that’s fine. As I said ... I do not hold anything agonist the staff if kids choose to go elsewhere. Recruiting to Syracuse is difficult, especially from warmer locations. But to not gauge that interest as soon as the player enters the portal is derelict of duty. If the staff reaches out, I’ll let you know. My connections within the SU athletic department are not what they used to be, or otherwise I’d talk to them and find out the reason(s).

peace

Last edited:
Was this moved from the Jordan thread, or is the OP just posting the same thing in multiple threads?

All I want for Christmas is an eye roll emoji.

Servais, Davis, Bleich, Froumy, Red back healthy. Vetterelo and Illoa a year stronger/older/wiser. 5 frosh coming in. Bergeron locked in, Tisdale can improve... Oline isn't our biggest need if our oline coach is worth a damn...
Frosh unlikely to help next year, another(the right) trans or two would give us a better prospectus for immediate improvement and added depth which is always our biggest problem.

Wait, the guy has only been in the portal for 2 days and the poster is mad the staff hasn’t reached out already? They’re not allowed to sift through the mass of transfers and take time to evaluate an out of conference player?
Guy has already picked Pitt, one of our rivals, so yea you snooze you lose.

Pitt was the first to reach out (actually I believe they back channeled him prior to him entering the portal)
If he’s already picked where he wants to transfer to after being in the portal for 3 days, it sounds like maybe he knew where he wanted to go when he announced his transfer.

His hay was already in the barn before the barn door was even opened.

If he’s already picked where he wants to transfer to after being in the portal for 3 days, it sounds like maybe he knew where he wanted to go when he announced his transfer.
Maybe, but does not alter failure to contact a possible transfer.

Or Maybe he was contacted right away by Pitt, and decided they would work. You can maybe anything.

I believe in what I call the Rochford rule. Nothing makes no sense at all. If you look hard enough, it makes sense. I don't believe our coaches don't care about winning. I don't believe they are lazy. So the answer must be somewhere else. Maybe they just didn't want the kid. Maybe they knew, he didn't want them. Whatever. I want us to hit the portal and we certainly did with the QB, and I have to believe that we will with others.

Frosh unlikely to help next year, another(the right) trans or two would give us a better prospectus for immediate improvement and added depth which is always our biggest problem.

We'll see how many healthy, capable linemen we have to start the season but subtracting the 5 frosh we could potentially have 12 able bodies Vs the 7 we started this year with

Or Maybe he was contacted right away by Pitt, and decided they would work. You can maybe anything.
Yeah, I am sure that was it.

We'll see how many healthy, capable linemen we have to start the season but subtracting the 5 frosh we could potentially have 12 able bodies Vs the 7 we started this year with
I honestly have not counted our "potential" OL, but know a few of those potential OL will never see the field in game action. How many potential OL did we have this year and last year, because I was not blown away by either OL? Past performance indicates our current personnel have far less potential than you think or we would like or need.
You are correct that we shall see, the question is will we like what we see? I hope to all that is unknowable that we are better/much better next year. I am tired of watching crappy performances by the OL.

I honestly have not counted our "potential" OL, but know a few of those potential OL will never see the field in game action. How many potential OL did we have this year and last year, because I was not blown away by either OL? Past performance indicates our current personnel have far less potential than you think or we would like or need.
You are correct that we shall see, the question is will we like what we see? I hope to all that is unknowable that we are better/much better next year. I am tired of watching crappy performances by the OL.

There's 1 in the room that is pretty universally agreed won't ever contribute but beyond that curious the others you speak of.

Everyone is tired of crappy oline performances for sure, I'm right with you there.
My point was moreso injury excuse should no longer fly with that group next season. We've got enough P5 sized, non frosh lineman healthy this year that Cav needs to show us something or we need to move on. There's enough in that room for a viable oline coach can work with so if they don't work yet again we need to find a coach that can make them work.
This isn't the no offer, undersized beer gut brigade of the GRob era. Something needs to click and I'm hoping Bleich alone being part of the group provides more than just his individual ability. We need attitude in that group and a pride in keeping QBs alive.

There's 1 in the room that is pretty universally agreed won't ever contribute but beyond that curious the others you speak of.

Everyone is tired of crappy oline performances for sure, I'm right with you there.
My point was moreso injury excuse should no longer fly with that group next season. We've got enough P5 sized, non frosh lineman healthy this year that Cav needs to show us something or we need to move on. There's enough in that room for a viable oline coach can work with so if they don't work yet again we need to find a coach that can make them work.
This isn't the no offer, undersized beer gut brigade of the GRob era. Something needs to click and I'm hoping Bleich alone being part of the group provides more than just his individual ability. We need attitude in that group and a pride in keeping QBs alive.
We need a good OL coach.