Transfers?? We talkin' 'bout transfers?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Transfers?? We talkin' 'bout transfers??

Exactly. And in the presser last night, JB talked quite a bit about practice performance.
I couldnt agree more. But fair question: was it more BJs practice performance that got him into the Pitt game? Or was it more injuries to TC and especially TR? Not always a cut and dry case

Edit- and then another fair question, if TR doesnt get injured and BJ doesnt score 11 against Pitt, does he wind up w the confidence to score 19 against ND? We ll never know

Last edited:
I couldnt agree more. But fair question: was it more BJs practice performance that got him into the Pitt game? Or was it more injuries to TC and especially TR? Not always a cut and dry case

Edit- and then another fair question, if TR doesnt get injured and BJ doesnt score 11 against Pitt, does he wind up w the confidence to score 19 against ND? We ll never know

I think what GOT BJ into the pitt game was that we needed some frontcourt minutes from the bench, and there just aren't any other viable options. What kept him out there, and what's earned him more PT in the most recent handful of games, is what he did with those minutes.

OrangeXtreme said:
BJ finally started playing like BJ Armstrong and not BJ Hunnicutt.
Been a long time coming waiting for a BJ Hunnicutt reference...

I think what GOT BJ into the pitt game was that we needed some frontcourt minutes from the bench, and there just aren't any other viable options. What kept him out there, and what's earned him more PT in the most recent handful of games, is what he did with those minutes.
exactly. his practice performance did not suddenly improve in a week. had he played some significant minutes through out the season, we would have seen this earlier .some players are gamers and he is that player. what he needed was minutes to gain confidence---something jb is traditionally short on giving players

Exactly. And in the presser last night, JB talked quite a bit about practice performance.
of course jb does, he has to justify, in his mind that is the reason. its amazing how one players performance improved dramatically in a week. please jb is notorious for not developing the bench---not playing significant minutes early, to say nothing of building a players confidence. i guess this was just a miracle turnaround for bj. just not buying it.

exactly. his practice performance did not suddenly improve in a week. had he played some significant minutes through out the season, we would have seen this earlier .some players are gamers and he is that player. what he needed was minutes to gain confidence---something jb is traditionally short on giving players

He gives 200 min every game, sometimes more. Seriously though, in his post presser, JB basically said he would not sub in a 16% three point guy. Why does that not make sense?

He gives 200 min every game, sometimes more. Seriously though, in his post presser, JB basically said he would not sub in a 16% three point guy. Why does that not make sense?
It makes complete sense......until you consider that that 16% guy played 27 mins in our biggest win of the season last night.

jb subbed in a a good basketball player not a 3pt shooter

It makes complete sense...until you consider that that 16% guy played 27 mins in our biggest win of the season last night.

I don't disagree, I hope to see more of BJ. But I also see JB' point. He is paid to win games and every coach in America will tell you they are not thinking down the road but are focused on winning tonight's game.

jb subbed in a a good basketball player not a 3pt shooter

The 3 is a major part of being a "good" player when you are talking about the 2 & 3 positions.

I don't disagree, I hope to see more of BJ. But I also see JB' point. He is paid to win games and every coach in America will tell you they are not thinking down the road but are focused on winning tonight's game.
Actually coach cal, as much as i think he is a slime ball, i have heard him say multiple times this season something to the effect- its not about not losing a game now, its about not losing a game in march.

And i was referring to Ron, not BJ

The 3 is a major part of being a "good" player when you are talking about the 2 & 3 positions.
not major, if you have a game that does not totally rely on it. he brings more than that to the table. there are others that can do the 3 w/o relying on him for it. his versatility is his strength and the threat.

tipphill said:
of course jb does, he has to justify, in his mind that is the reason. its amazing how one players performance improved dramatically in a week. please jb is notorious for not developing the bench---not playing significant minutes early, to say nothing of building a players confidence. i guess this was just a miracle turnaround for bj. just not buying it.

Who said he improved in just one week? You act like he's never played before.

Actually coach cal, as much as i think he is a slime ball, i have heard him say multiple times this season something to the effect- its not about not losing a game now, its about not losing a game in march.

And i was referring to Ron, not BJ

So you think Cal would come out and say after a loss, "Well, I put Joe Blow in so we might be better in the tournament, even though I knew he might cost us the game today, he'll be absolutely incredible come tournament time. The press (and his AD) would absolutely kill him.

not major, if you have a game that does not totally rely on it. he brings more than that to the table. there are others that can do the 3 w/o relying on him for it. his versatility is his strength and the threat.

What other aspects of BJ's game would you consider his strengths? I would agree, his defense is getting better but I'm not sure I'd consider it a strength yet. His handle is not bad but a strength? Passing? Shooting is why he's getting minutes.

JB knows his players and their abilities more than anyone...and, by a long shot. It's really rather simple, JB has stated that BJ has been shooting quite well in practice (lately) therefore, he has recently given him more minutes to see/hope if he could do it when it mattered...game time. To BJ's credit, he has been able to hits shots in recent games...kudos to him for his persistent hard work in practice.

Earlier in the year when BJ was in games, he missed his open looks, and, quite badly at that. JB also stated (due to BJ's obvious physique challenges) that if he's going to be in the game, he has to hit those shots, otherwise, based upon his lack of physical prowess, etc., the team gets double whammied on both sides of the ball.

JB knows his players and their abilities more than anyone...and, by a long shot. It's really rather simple, JB has stated that BJ has been shooting quite well in practice (lately) therefore, he has recently given him more minutes to see/hope if he could do it when it mattered...game time. To BJ's credit, he has been able to hits shots in recent games...kudos to him for his persistent hard work in practice.

Earlier in the year when BJ was in games, he missed his open looks, and, quite badly at that. JB also stated (due to BJ's obvious physique challenges) that if he's going to be in the game, he has to hit those shots, otherwise, based on his lack of physical prowess, etc., the team gets double whammied on both sides of the ball.

This, BJ needs to go on a doughnut diet and hit the weights. The ACC (not unlike the NBA) is loaded with physical players and if you are thin, you better be extraordinary in other areas to see minutes.. BJ will get there soon enough.

So you think Cal would come out and say after a loss, "Well, I put Joe Blow in so we might be better in the tournament, even though I knew he might cost us the game today, he'll be absolutely incredible come tournament time. The press (and his AD) would absolutely kill him.
I dont know, you keep kind of changing your rhetoric.
Here was your original post that i was replying to:

"every coach in America will tell you they are not thinking down the road but are focused on winning tonight's game."

Heres a quote from Cal that tells me coaches who think they have a shot at a title DO think down the road, as well as worrying about winning the present game:

Q. The last undefeated team now in the NCAA, I know you said that doesn’t matter to you.

COACH CALIPARI: " I think South Carolina (Women’s Team) is undefeated and Princeton (Women’s Team) is undefeated, so there’s some other teams. I think our rifle team is undefeated. Did they? Like I said, this team, the question is, how good can we be. And I don’t know yet. I’m trying to get guys to go to that next level. I’m prodding and pushing and screaming and yelling, go, because I really do want to see how good can we really be....
So when you say about undefeated, we’re playing every game to win, but if you do I told them last night, we lose today, we’re 20-1. So? I said, you lose in March, your season’s over. Right now, you should just try to find out how good you can be. And that’s all we’re doing. I’m not I’ve had a team at Massachusetts (UMass) that was started the season like this, I had a team at Memphis that started the season like this, both of those teams took an L and by the end of the year were the best version of themselves. By the end of the year. So, and whether that happens to this team or not, one way or another, I would rather them win it all or win them all, but if they don’t, this doesn’t. Just as long as we’re getting better."

I only use Cals quote because they are the consensus #1, but my guess is most title contenders think along these lines, ie yes they do "think down the road", even occasionally during the course of a game.

It almost seems like Boeheim would have been better off keeping Johnson and Patterson hidden starting a few weeks ago until the end of the season (lets ignore the team's current need for them), because he could increasingly manage expectations of the fan base by making a case that they aren't good contributors likely to see useful minutes next year. But now that they're improving, all of a sudden we have to ask ourselves this - who deserves or gets more minutes; a junior B.J. Johnson (with a few more pounds, maybe, and loads of experience), or Franklin Howard?

The plot thickens...

I dont know, you keep kind of changing your rhetoric.
Here was your original post that i was replying to:

"every coach in America will tell you they are not thinking down the road but are focused on winning tonight's game."

Heres a quote from Cal that tells me coaches who think they have a shot at a title DO think down the road, as well as worrying about winning the present game:

Q. The last undefeated team now in the NCAA, I know you said that doesn’t matter to you.

COACH CALIPARI: " I think South Carolina (Women’s Team) is undefeated and Princeton (Women’s Team) is undefeated, so there’s some other teams. I think our rifle team is undefeated. Did they? Like I said, this team, the question is, how good can we be. And I don’t know yet. I’m trying to get guys to go to that next level. I’m prodding and pushing and screaming and yelling, go, because I really do want to see how good can we really be...
So when you say about undefeated, we’re playing every game to win, but if you do I told them last night, we lose today, we’re 20-1. So? I said, you lose in March, your season’s over. Right now, you should just try to find out how good you can be. And that’s all we’re doing. I’m not I’ve had a team at Massachusetts (UMass) that was started the season like this, I had a team at Memphis that started the season like this, both of those teams took an L and by the end of the year were the best version of themselves. By the end of the year. So, and whether that happens to this team or not, one way or another, I would rather them win it all or win them all, but if they don’t, this doesn’t. Just as long as we’re getting better."

I only use Cals quote because they are the consensus #1, but my guess is most title contenders think along these lines, ie yes they do "think down the road", even occasionally during the course of a game.

Yes, Cal is indeed "different", he isn't coaching student athletes, he's coaching semi-pros. I'll take JB with all his faults any day of the week. At least as a Cuse fan I know academics does not take a back seat.

rstone7727 said:
Yes, Cal is indeed "different", he isn't coaching student athletes, he's coaching semi-pros. I'll take JB with all his faults any day of the week. At least as a Cuse fan I know academics does not take a back seat.

We're out of the post season partly because of academics and have had academic issues the past few years. Granted I don't think we're worse than any other school but to sound righteous about our great academic standing doesn't really hold much water.

The plot thickens...[/QUOTE]
We're out of the post season partly because of academics and have had academic issues the past few years. Granted I don't think we're worse than any other school but to sound righteous about our great academic standing doesn't really hold much water.

I said academics doesn't take a back seat to athletics, not, we have never had academic issues. Anyone with a functioning brain knows academics is secondary at UK.