"Tremors still shake Irish independence" | Syracusefan.com

"Tremors still shake Irish independence"

44PRIDE

All Conference
Great article on ND independence.

The gist of this article is that nothing is set in stone. The big unknowns for ND independence are the status of the BCS deal after 2013 and the end of the NBC contract in 2015.

They are in a precarious position. While they’ve publicly supportive of the BE, you get the feeling that ND isn’t committed to signing for FB games with teams like Houston, UCF and SMU.

And while “football drives the bus”, ND has developed quite a good basketball program recently. If BE basketball tanks in the next 3-5 years, what influence (if any) will this have on their decision to move.

Long story short, we are at least 3-5 years away from the next series of seismic moves.

Great article on ND independence.

The gist of this article is that nothing is set in stone. The big unknowns for ND independence are the status of the BCS deal after 2013 and the end of the NBC contract in 2015.

They are in a precarious position. While they’ve publicly supportive of the BE, you get the feeling that ND isn’t committed to signing for FB games with teams like Houston, UCF and SMU.

And while “football drives the bus”, ND has developed quite a good basketball program recently. If BE basketball tanks in the next 3-5 years, what influence (if any) will this have on their decision to move.

Long story short, we are at least 3-5 years away from the next series of seismic moves.

ND will always have a home for its other sports with the Catholic basketball schools. There's going to be a split, and they could be the catalyst. With the Big Ten staying at 12, they have no reason to not be independent.

{On whether Swarbrick will try to schedule the new Big East members in
football to help support the league’s stability:

“We’ll certainly have to evaluate that,” he said. “We were doing that.

We’ve got a series (upcoming) with Syracuse. We’ve got Pittsburgh,. We
had South Florida here. Just some of those have gotten away on us.

“You’re dealing with those sorts of changes. What do we do with the
series with teams who were Big East members but someday relatively
soon won’t be? We have to figure all that out.”}

I wonder if ND will back out of the series with Syracuse?

I would love to pound the crap out of them in the meadowlands, same for USC next year i hope barkely leaves this year also to give us a shot

Don't see ND backing out of the Meadowlands game...

With the Big Ten staying at 12, they have no reason to not be independent.

I would find it disappointing if the next BCS contract included any special waivers for ND. Why should it? What have they ever done that was for the benefit of anyone in college football other than themselves? Let them compete with the other non-BCS schools for an at-large. "Oops, you have to win your conference? Well, what are YOU going to do about that?" To be frank, the BCS doesn't need Notre Dame.

I would find it disappointing if the next BCS contract included any special waivers for ND. Why should it? What have they ever done that was for the benefit of anyone in college football other than themselves? Let them compete with the other non-BCS schools for an at-large. "Oops, you have to win your conference? Well, what are YOU going to do about that?" To be frank, the BCS doesn't need Notre Dame.

The BCS needs Notre Dame to the tune of if they can rationalize ND getting into a BCS game, deserving or not, they're going to get them in. ND brings TV sets, and ND brings money.

----------------------------

1) The good news is with SU in the ACC playing 9 conference games plus a unique, long term Meadowlands deal for high profile games plus the option of playing regional schools like Army, RU, UConn, PSU, SU is no longer in a desperation mode to schedule any specific high profile team and certainly not ND.

To the contrary, ND vs. SU at the Meadowlands would seem to be an ideal game for them, and may be attractive enough that they decide to visit SU as part of any future deal.

2) I happen to believe the new Big East will be an interesting, diverse, competitive conference, but it's hard to see ND looking forward to scheduling any of the Big East football schools on a recurring basis with the sole exception of RU, given its location in the NYC metro region.

They won't cancel it, and not just because of the Meadowlands game. They may want 'in' on the ACC in the next three years. Would not be prudent to piss off a future conference mate. ;)

Notre Dame and Connecticut will be in the ACC within the next 10 years.

Maybe UConn, maybe someone else. I dream of Notre Dame & Penn State. Before you laugh, remember, Notre Dame itself is already a long shot; so why not go for the whole enchilada ? That would be a hell of a conference.

Notre Dame
Penn State
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech

North Carolina
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

= ==

The only way you could improve on that group would be if you could drop Wake Forest for West Virginia, and push Virginia down into the Southern Division, keeping Va Tech with its old Big East opponents, for the most part. Maybe you even split Miami and Florida State, and give Maryland back to the Southern Division, too. Then you'd have this:

North

Notre Dame
Miami
Penn State
Pitt
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
Boston College

South

Duke
North Carolina
NC State
Maryland
Virginia
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State

Florida State might look at that group and be unimpressed, and beg the SEC for a spot. Then I guess you look at adding maybe South Carolina or UConn, or else move Va Tech & Miami back into the South to give Florida State worthy rivals.

Maybe UConn, maybe someone else. I dream of Notre Dame & Penn State. Before you laugh, remember, Notre Dame itself is already a long shot; so why not go for the whole enchilada ? That would be a hell of a conference.

Notre Dame
Penn State
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech

North Carolina
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

= ==

The only way you could improve on that group would be if you could drop Wake Forest for West Virginia, and push Virginia down into the Southern Division, keeping Va Tech with its old Big East opponents, for the most part. Maybe you even split Miami and Florida State, and give Maryland back to the Southern Division, too. Then you'd have this:

North

Notre Dame
Miami
Penn State
Pitt
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
Boston College

South

Duke
North Carolina
NC State
Maryland
Virginia
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State

Florida State might look at that group and be unimpressed, and beg the SEC for a spot. Then I guess you look at adding maybe South Carolina or UConn, or else move Va Tech & Miami back into the South to give Florida State worthy rivals.

I'd love Notre Dame and Penn State. That's the ACC's goal, whether they can obtain it or not, is yet to be seen.

Virginia Tech would HATE being in a division with the old Big East. There's a reason they left the Big East. They wanted to be with more southern schools.

Florida State isn't going anywhere. If the SEC could have gotten Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia Tech, or Virginia over Missouri they would have.

With 16 teams it makes more sense to do 4 pods of 4.

North Pod

Boston College
Notre Dame
Penn State/Connecticut
Syracuse

Atlantic Pod

Pittsburgh
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Carolina Pod

Duke
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest

South Pod

Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami

The Carolina Pod is pretty weak, but they'd all bawww if they weren't in the same division together.

1. PSU ain't coming

2. ND will depend on Texas IMO. If Texas ends up in the B1G, so will ND. I think the B1G would have too much money and too much to offer in FB. If Texas ends up in the P12, then ND will go to the ACC. I fear that the B1G will end up with ND and RU which will leave the ACC having to take UConn and Temple.

2. ND will depend on Texas IMO. If Texas ends up in the B1G, so will ND. I think the B1G would have too much money and too much to offer in FB. If Texas ends up in the P12, then ND will go to the ACC. I fear that the B1G will end up with ND and RU which will leave the ACC having to take UConn and Temple.

West Virginia would get in over Temple. Temple has worse academics than Florida State. Temple doesn't have the kind of athletic success to get in with bad academics. West Virginia does, though.

Notre Dame hates the B1G with a burning passion. The B1G is the reason they're independent in the first place. ND wanted in the B1G a century ago. The B1G turned them down, due to being religious. The B1G also doesn't have many markets that Notre Dame wants to cover.

Notre Dame will join the ACC, or remain independent.

The B1G is screwed now. They should have gone after Rutgers and Missouri when they had the chance. They may be able to pry Maryland away from the ACC. Kansas will stick with Kansas State, so they're out of the question.

The B1G is screwed now.

:rolling:

Yeah, the conference making the most money in all the land is really screwed.

All those ADs must lay awake at night cursing at the sky that they didn't land Rutgers and Missouri.

I'd love Notre Dame and Penn State. That's the ACC's goal, whether they can obtain it or not, is yet to be seen.

Virginia Tech would HATE being in a division with the old Big East. There's a reason they left the Big East. They wanted to be with more southern schools.

Well if Penn st and ND were joining they could prolly live in a north division. I know they are throwing a fit now about being in a North Division but look what it would be
Cuse
Pitt
BC
Virginia
VT
Maryland
Wake

Sorry that is a shitty FB division with very little interst imo. Ok let look at this Add PSU and ND prestige level goes way up plus if you pair all 4 up thats 3 old rivalry's and cuse, maryland that has some history 30 ish games i think?
Penn st
Pitt
ND
BC
Cuse
Maryland
VT
Virginia

Penn st aint joining prolly be uconn and ND and VT will no be in that N division

Yeah, the conference making the most money in all the land is really screwed.

All those ADs must lay awake at night cursing at the sky that they didn't land Rutgers and Missouri.

They're screwed, in that they can't expand. I said nothing about the money they're making.

[quote="OrangeCrush22, post: 127478")
Notre Dame hates the B1G with a burning passion. The B1G is the reason they're independent in the first place. ND wanted in the B1G a century ago. The B1G turned them down, due to being religious. The B1G also doesn't have many markets that Notre Dame wants to cover.

quote]

How is it possible for one person to be so misinformed?

Notre Dame went all the way through the application process and were invited to join the Big Ten. At the last minute, Notre Dame changed their mind.

The facts are so at odds with your characterization that it's bizarre.

i thought we were done putting penn state in acc rumours.

actually, i only thought the woefully misinformed, ignorant and weak minded did so in the 1st place.

unless penn state gets THROWN OUT of the b1g, they arent going anywhere.

good gahd people.

Oh Lord

How is it possible for one person to be so misinformed?

Notre Dame went all the way through the application process and were invited to join the Big Ten. At the last minute, Notre Dame changed their mind.

The facts are so at odds with your characterization that it's bizarre.

That's what I was told by a Notre Dame fan, on another forum. I didn't bother looking up the facts.

They're screwed, in that they can't expand. I said nothing about the money they're making.

They don't want to, or need to, expand.

The only screwing going on is on the Fine Mess board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom