Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

QMuVgVYJ.jpeg

Jakubowski Off and On the Field

Kicker/Punter Preferred Walk-On Evan Jakubowski Prepares to Compete as Frosh This Fall (DO; Dougherty)

All Evan Jakubowski could do was watch and wonder.

Wheaton Warrenville (Ill.) South High School needed a 20-yard field goal to reach the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

It sailed wide. And because Jakubowski, a junior at that time, chose to play soccer instead of football that fall, he sat in the stands as the Tigers’ season came to a close.

“I felt that I could have hit it,” Jakubowski said. “It was frustrating.”

Jakubowski, who is unrated on At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. and listed at 6 feet, 175 pounds, committed to Syracuse as a preferred walk-on on April 9 after a swift recruiting process. Chris Gould, SU’s special teams quality control coach, saw Jakubowski’s highlight tape following his senior season. And after visiting campus, the kicker-punter combo pledged to the Orange just months after finding out where Syracuse even was.

Riley Dixon was offered a scholarship by the Orange at the end of last season and seems to have solidified his spot as the team’s starting punter. But with rising senior Ross Krautman missing much of last season with a hip injury and rising junior Ryan Norton sidelined this spring, Jakubowski is ready to contend for kickoffs and field goals in the fall.

“My high school needed a kicker senior year, so I went in and did all three kicks and loved every minute of it,” Jakubowski said. “I always thought it would be great to compete in college and now I have that opportunity. I obviously want to try and get on the field right away.”

-459cb7060d65c75a.JPG

Keon Lyn in Manhattan

Keon Lyn Will Hold His Own Pro Day for NFL Scouts (PS; Mink)

Keon Lyn will individually work out in front of a few NFL scouts next Monday at Manley Field House, he recently told syracuse.com.

Lyn said he has drawn interest from a couple NFL scouts and was recently flown out to take a physical and meet with staff from the Oakland Raiders...

headless-jpg.11420

Four Leftover Observations from Spring Game (PS; Axe)

The Syracuse University football team will now settle into a long layoff after the annual spring game at the Carrier Dome wrapped up 2014 spring practice.

The coaches will hit the road recruiting and the players will work out on their own hoping to maintain spots or move up the competition ladder once training camp begins in August.

Before we settle into the off season, here are four leftover thoughts from the spring game...

In Defense of the Bubble Screen (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

After the Syracuse spring football game on Saturday, folks seemed a bit riled upover the play-calling. With another year of experience under players' belts and proclamations from offensive coordinator George McDonald that things would be different for 2014, fans expected a much different offense at the Carrier Dome. And instead, they saw a very similar offense to last year: Bubble screens, and a whole lot of them. People were not happy.

Of course, this ignores a host of reasons why it made sense. A) Since we don't have full personnel just yet, it's possible that the full "opened up" playbook has not been rolled out yet. B) The team specifically said they would not be showing the full playbook during this scrimmage. And C) This play-calling actually worked last year.

Yup. The same person who repeatedly derided George McDonald's play-calling last year is now telling you that it's the right call. I understand your skepticism. But just hang with me...

ACC News

Other

DSC_0108991-e1383603725959.jpg

Meet Orange Girl Meghan Sinisi (DO; Hodge)

Meghan Sinisi was nine years old when she first twirled fire.

Nearly 10 years later, standing before a crowd in front of Carnegie Library on the Syracuse University Quad on April 11, Sinisi throws three flaming batons high above her head.

And a few moments later she catches them, one after another.

Applause erupts from administrators and students, there to attend Chancellor Kent Syverud’s inauguration.

She twirls and spins. The crowd can’t seem to take their eyes off of her. Young girls point at her.

She is the Orange Girl.

The Orange Girl is a tradition grounded in SU history, dating back to Sept. 26, 1947.

Called “100 Men and a Girl,” the act made its debut in Archbold Stadium to premiere the new head drum majorette and fire baton twirler. To this day, the SU Marching Band performs with one featured twirler, appropriately named The Orange Girl...

oh-canada.jpg

Canadian Crossing: Four SU Players Continue Pipeline from Ontario to Orange Soccer (DO; Blum)

It’s a joke on the Syracuse men’s soccer team that the Canadian players have their own section of the Manley Field House locker room.

It’s more coincidental than intentional, but for Chris Nanco, Alex Halis, Jordan Murrell and Skylar Thomas, the arrangement makes sense.

“Chris and Alex look up to Jordan and Skylar,” SU recruiting coordinator Mike Miller said. “We’ll continue to get more Canadian players from Ontario and all of Canada in here and we’ll continue that pipeline.”

At the beginning of this season, Halis and Nanco joined Murrell and Thomas in Syracuse, thus bolstering what is already a strong pipeline of players from Ontario.

Since 2005, there have been 11 Syracuse players from the province. And with Syracuse’s move to the Atlantic Coast Conference, Canadian players are coming in greater numbers and bringing others with them.

“Maybe it was an underachieving school in the past,” said Bobby Smyrniotis, who coached Halis and Nanco with Sigma FC, “but you can really see that the new staff has an idea of where they want to take the soccer program.”

How would you feel about the football team having a uni like that?

I think shoulder pads would distort them horribly. Same reason I'm holding out judgement on the elongated football numbers. Jerseys do funny things when stretched out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom