Two final four barn burners and both botched by refs in the end | Syracusefan.com

Two final four barn burners and both botched by refs in the end

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
The "jump ball"

and pick one of the terrible foul calls on the cuse down the stretch . while most people will remember the BT charge..or MCW's 4th foul where he gets chucked to the ground...i will remember the bs 5th foul on mcw where the michigan defender hurls himself towards MCW and then acts like he was shot by a sniper. it was two guys running into each other...one has no more right to that ground than the other..it was not one guy standing still and other guy moving. at worst its a play on

i think that certain calls should be reviewable in the last 5 mins.. 50/50 calls, end of shotclock scores and out of bounds calls. It will drag things out but if you review block/charges it will help a lot late in games. It should also help stop the aaron craft and last nights desperate efforts to run in front of the offensive player hoping to get knocked down. That crap is not defense and they need to change the rules..

The jump ball seemed legit to me, though maybe it was called a split second too early with Hancock not really possessing much of the ball. Just a nice play by him.

MCW's 4th foul was absolutely bogus. It changed the game. We were down 4, so we should have had the ball back (or shooting FT's?). Even bigger though was MCW getting his 4th and Triche picking up his 3rd as a result of Michigan keeping possession. Totally absurd.

MCW fouling out was also a terrible call. Hardaway did move into him, but that was the SAME screen McGary was setting all game on Triche. Moving his feet and getting into him. You don't call that at that point in the game.

The charge/block on BT wasn't necessarily the wrong call. I disagreed with it because Morgan sure looked like he was sliding his feet still, but it was bang bang. The other two fouls called on us were worse. The only thing, with the play being so close, you have to favor the offensive player right?

The charge/block on BT wasn't necessarily the wrong call. I disagreed with it because Morgan sure looked like he was sliding his feet still, but it was bang bang. The other two fouls called on us were worse. The only thing, with the play being so close, you have to favor the offensive player right?

Watch the replay again... The defender was moving so much that he banged into Triche's thigh hard enough to turn him slightly to the side. He absolutely wasn't set, it was clearly a blown call. If he hadn't already called two other calls that were clearly blown calls for Michigan, you could easily just call it a blown call. But it sure looked like a pattern by the end.

I feel worse for Wichita State - they actually played a high-level game and can say they deserved to win. Got screwed by an indefensible held ball (that refs blow all the time, that was not for an instant tied up, and that involved a foul by the Louisville player) and an ignored flagrant foul (which was really awesome - apparently an accidental elbow is grounds for a flagrant but a deliberate slap in the face is a play on?). That sucked.

Ours sucked, too. Mike's 4th wasn't a close play; it wasn't even one of those Louisville plays where the push-off comes after some bodying or handchecking. That should be an offensive foul 100 out of 100 times. Triche's 5th was awful and we've seen it dozens of times in his career. He went into his move, took another stride, and the defender slid under him. Disgusting. Don't understand the argument about Mike's 5th. Not only did he move into the defender, he absolutely took out some frustration by following through. No way that's a bad call (and look at the reaction of our other players - everyone knew it).

Difference in the two games is that we spent over 30 minutes playing like a team that didn't deserve to win. Glad we made it interesting, but we just didn't play very well.

As far as the officiating goes, college basketball is broken. It's a sad display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom