Tyler Ennis shipped to the D-League | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis shipped to the D-League

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really a shame that Grant and Ennis left and I have to admit it's had an effect on my excitement for this year's team. We would be really, really good if they were both on this team and I find very discouraging that neither will be. Especially in light of the fact that Grant in particular (who doesn't appear to be capable of making what may become the worst NBA team of all-time) made what appears to be a misguided decision at best. It's certainly not my place to judge either of them and I wish them both well but the revolving door of college hoops is beginning to impact my fandom.

djdan said:
It's really a shame that Grant and Ennis left and I have to admit it's had an effect on my excitement for this year's team. We would be really, really good if they were both on this team and I find very discouraging that neither will be. Especially in light of the fact that Grant in particular (who doesn't appear to be capable of making what may become the worst NBA team of all-time) made what appears to be a misguided decision at best. It's certainly not my place to judge either of them and I wish them both well but the revolving door of college hoops is beginning to impact my fandom.

Just wait until McCullough and Joseph have a few good games, we'll be talking about losing them.

If anything, Ennis may be sending a message to the next group that's thinking of leaving early.

Recent track record of Orange in the NBA is not so good. Donte Greene, Jhonny Flynn, Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant all have struggled to find a place in the league. Wes Johnson hasn't set the world on fire. Dion has had the most success out of this group but he's underperformed IMO considering his draft position.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me one NBA level skill that Ennis has right now. The Suns claim they will use Bakersfield for short stints for their players. But with all the guys ahead of Ennis it will take multiple injuries for him to make it back to Phoenix. This may be the last we hear from him. Instead of being one of the top players on a top 10 team in the NCAA playing on national TV multiple times per week. Imagine him doing that for a couple more years and then leaving for the NBA. He'd probably go no higher than he did but in addition to his rookie contract he'd be looking at possible endorsement deals which could dwarf anything he ever makes from an NBA contract. Instead he is a nobody about to be unheard from for the next couple of years. But he'll be getting paid.

yeah, that selfish SOB should be playing for free to provide us with our entertainment!

Recent track record of Orange in the NBA is not so good. Donte Greene, Jhonny Flynn, Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant all have struggled to find a place in the league. Wes Johnson hasn't set the world on fire. Dion has had the most success out of this group but he's underperformed IMO considering his draft position.

Come on man we are two weeks into their first season and you already are saying Ennis and grant have struggled to find their place in the league. Wes is a starter albeit on one of the worst teams. Flynn was productive until he got hurt. I don't think this is very fair. You can say this about a lot of schools. How many Duke guys underperformed in the Association?

It would have been more surprising if he didn't end up in the D-League this year. Just not seeing what he offers an NBA team at this point.

yeah, that selfish SOB should be playing for free to provide us with our entertainment!
He should be BMOC getting treated like a king. He should be traveling the country staying in the best hotels like a rock star, playing under the lights having grown men cheer his name and young women fall at his feet, the media fawning over him. Having his picture on the cover of magazines in every grocery store in the country, shown on TV multiple times per day advertising the game he is getting ready to play. Instead he's riding the bus in Bakersfield and when/if he does spend time with the big league club he's carrying luggage and largely unknown and ignored. But he's getting paid.

image.jpg

Probably not what Tyler was hoping for. But good for him to develop his game and be that much better when he does get called back up.

When you stop to think about it, it is interesting when you compare the minors in pro baseball and the minors (D league) in pro basketball. This certainly is not an apples to apples comparison, but still interesting. When very talented high school and college baseball players are drafted (even first rounders), it is assumed that most will start at some level in the minors (A or AA probably) then work their way up quickly, getting plenty of opportunity and reps to hone their game and adjust to the majors. When college basketball players get drafted, they expect or at least hope to make an NBA roster right away, and it may seem like a "demotion" to the player (and to many fans) when he gets sent to the D league. However, like the baseball player (who knows he will be starting in the minors), the basketball player will get much more time and opportunity to play and develop, as needed, in the minors, and adjust to the grind. Obviously, many studs in college play a lot and make a big impact from the get go for NBA teams (that's what the draft is all about). But, a player playing down for the time being shouldn't be thought of as a never-to-be-heard-from-again player, if he takes advantage of that playing time to prove he deserves to be in the majors. The numbers game plays into this too of course. Again, not necessarily a great comparison here as the situation is much different, but definitely can be a difference in mentality between the 2 sports, but maybe it shouldn't be.

Uh,, who said we aren't doing well? MCW did ok last year. And how many college players would take where Wes is right now? He has been hanging in for a few years now, earning a nice little pay check. Not everyone makes the multi millions, but 2-3 million a year is not bad. I'll take it.

Now for me, I put $200 of my own money down on a meet and greet for Tyler with the Suns. Hopefully he will be here in March. Otherwise I flushed my money down the drain. Hard to do a meet and greet without the player to meet or greet. But I can use them towards tickets. Since it was for the Knicks game, maybe Melo will come say hi to me...doubt it.

Bummed.

The D league is not what it used to be. Lots of successful NBA players have played in that league. It's a great opportunity for Tyler to showcase himself under game condition.
Exactly. I think the "I don't watch the NBA" crowd that are still bitter about Ennis, don't realize that the D-League is now setup for young players to get some games under their belt instead of sitting on the bench. Some teams might just send a player down for a few days and then call them back to the varsity. It doesn't mean he's spending the whole year there or should be considered a bust this early in his career. He'll have the opportunity to prove his worth in the Association at some point down the line.

Maybe Tyler can be a good role model for current and future SU point guards... of what not to do.

Being shipped to the D league can be the bridge between beauty and being banned. It's like having your threads moved to an off topic forum where few regular folks will see it. Being he's young there is plenty of hope it won't be, but any rational person knows there is at least a chance. Not many up and comers get excited about their work only being seen in the D league, but let's hope the people in control see Tyler's value and in the meantime he and his family enjoy the money d-league affords him instead of the big stage and comradery college hoops could have offered him during his developmental years.

Hindsight is 20/20 though, and regardless of what happens to him he is rich and some folks on here seem to offer that as one of the main arguments for quitting school early, being such a high percentage of college players have career ending injuries in basketball. Or they say cash in after a successful year before you have a chance to prove yiu might not be worth what folks think you are. So much for integrity around here. Heck, I dont know in the world players graduate while playing a violent sport like football. I want the best for Tyler, but no internet tough guys are going to make me feel bad for any NBA franchises who end up pissing their money away in the culture they are helping to create.

Yeah...not surprising at all to see him get shipped to the D-League. Having said that, as others have mentioned, the D-League isn't this NBA Purgatory that people make it out to be anymore.

Recent guys that played in the D-League:
Reggie Jackson
Tony Wroten
Avery Bradley
Gerald Green
Perry Jones
Marcin Gortat
Terrence Jones
Eric Bledsoe
Jeremy Lin
Donald Sloan
DeMarre Carroll
Solomon Hill
Aaron Brooks
Amir Johnson
Jeremy Lamb
Marcus Morris
Pat Beverley
Khris Middleton
Danny Green

and the list goes on. Almost all of those guys are now NBA starters. Personally, I don't think Ennis will ever be more than a below-average starter or bench guard in the NBA, but getting sent to the D-League certainly isn't the end of the world. It's actually probably his best chance to develop his game until he can contribute meaningful minutes to an NBA team.

Or walk away with a free education from an elite private university...

Who decided he still can't get an education from an elite private university...just on his own dime.
and now that he's no longer hitched to the SU scholly, he can even go to an actual elite academic institution

Yeah...not surprising at all to see him get shipped to the D-League. Having said that, as others have mentioned, the D-League isn't this NBA Purgatory that people make it out to be anymore.

Recent guys that played in the D-League:
Reggie Jackson
Tony Wroten
Avery Bradley
Gerald Green
Perry Jones
Marcin Gortat
Terrence Jones
Eric Bledsoe
Jeremy Lin
Donald Sloan
DeMarre Carroll
Solomon Hill
Aaron Brooks
Amir Johnson
Jeremy Lamb
Marcus Morris
Pat Beverley
Khris Middleton
Danny Green

and the list goes on. Almost all of those guys are now NBA starters. Personally, I don't think Ennis will ever be more than a below-average starter or bench guard in the NBA, but getting sent to the D-League certainly isn't the end of the world. It's actually probably his best chance to develop his game until he can contribute meaningful minutes to an NBA team.
Good post. I don't see Ennis being a big time superstar or anything like, but I'm sure he'll find his way to be a solid contributor for someone. Just funny to see how many people are uninformed about the current status of the D-League and think somehow his career is over before it even got started. Will be hilarious if the Suns call him and Warren back after this weekend.

Good post. I don't see Ennis being a big time superstar or anything like, but I'm sure he'll find his way to be a solid contributor for someone. Just funny to see how many people are uninformed about the current status of the D-League and think somehow his career is over before it even got started. Will be hilarious if the Suns call him and Warren back after this weekend.
I think they are supposed to be back after this weekend. That's what the coach said at least.

Nothing says Ennis can't be traded and make it elsewhere. But he has work to do.

I think they are supposed to be back after this weekend. That's what the coach said at least.
There you go. So I wonder how the folks that were acting like he was spending his whole rookie season in the D-league feel now? Ennis and Grant made their choice. Was it the right one? Who knows but I can't fault them for chasing their dreams and will root hard for them to do well. Seems like a few people hope they fail just to prove a point which isn't right. SU ball be fine and move on without both. Next man up is how I always look at things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom