Tyler Ennis shipped to the D-League | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis shipped to the D-League

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a business standpoint - even if Ennis has a prolonged D-League stint - it seems to mean one of two things:
1. The Suns have plans for him down the road and want to help him develop.
2. The Suns can't get what they deem to be fair value in any deal involving him.

My sense is it's the former...they're loaded at the point but these days players are here today and gone tomorrow.
So they have plans for Tyler Ennis.

There you go. So I wonder how the folks that were acting like he was spending his whole rookie season in the D-league feel now? Ennis and Grant made their choice. Was it the right one? Who knows but I can't fault them for chasing their dreams and will root hard for them to do well. Seems like a few people hope they fail just to prove a point which isn't right. SU ball be fine and move on without both. Next man up is how I always look at things.

They went against the advice of a man who has been coaching basketball since before they were even thought of. I think that's the only reason so many people are up in arms.

Not rooting for either to fail - want every SU graduate to succeed. But in the opinion of many, including a hall of fame head coach who has many more ties to the NBA than anyone these kids know, they would have been better served staying. Despite the media's thought that it was only a self-serving appraisal.

I only read a handful of posts in this thread.

I think Ennis's most marketable skill is running an offense and taking care of the ball both of which are hard to measure. The D league isn't as bad as it once was and I expect with time Tyler will be able to have his teams offense excelling. I think he will need to learn to push the ball more but when surrounded by better offensive players he will be able to do more IMO even if it looks like he is doing less. As far as him leaving he was never going to be a lottery pick so how much could he really have improved his draft stock? I support his decision and wish him well, good for him.

Jerami's decision might not be as bad as people think. Look at what he's not doing for the Sixers. Its entirely possible that he would again this season not have had a consistent jumper or a much improved handle or offensive game. This another season under his belt that makes NBA people wonder if he ever could develop this way. He was drafted on his measurable and athletic ability and he cashed in on them when he was sure he could and before they were devalued by lack of skill development. There are no guarantees.

As far as being better with these guys this year, yes out of the gate we would be better but long term again not a sure thing. Would Tyler once again control the ball and the pace micromanaging our shots because we were playing some guys (Grant) who had limited offensive skill sets loads of minutes? How many shots would Grant take from Christmas and McCulough guys who need shots and would Grant have a vastly improved offensive game? We just don't know really and other than depth and experience I think at the PF and PG spots we have just as much if not more talent, length and athleticism.

Here's another reason to leave - the more you are stuck playing in the zone, the less appealing you are going to be to NBA teams.

I like the zone for SU's purposes, but it does nothing to help the players going to the NBA.

He landed at the end of a jammed up back court. It happens. It will start working itself out after this year with the decisions regarding re-signing Dragic and/or moving Bled in a trade.

Here's another reason to leave - the more you are stuck playing in the zone, the less appealing you are going to be to NBA teams.

I like the zone for SU's purposes, but it does nothing to help the players going to the NBA.

He landed at the end of a jammed up back court. It happens. It will start working itself out after this year with the decisions regarding re-signing Dragic and/or moving Bled in a trade.
Most don't realize that NBA folks despise the zone and our lack of NBA success partly gets blame because of that(not that I fully agree with it).

When was it ever indicated an education was anywhere near a top priority for him?

I'm still waiting for someone to give me one NBA level skill that Ennis has right now. The Suns claim they will use Bakersfield for short stints for their players. But with all the guys ahead of Ennis it will take multiple injuries for him to make it back to Phoenix. This may be the last we hear from him. Instead of being one of the top players on a top 10 team in the NCAA playing on national TV multiple times per week. Imagine him doing that for a couple more years and then leaving for the NBA. He'd probably go no higher than he did but in addition to his rookie contract he'd be looking at possible endorsement deals which could dwarf anything he ever makes from an NBA contract. Instead he is a nobody about to be unheard from for the next couple of years. But he'll be getting paid.

He undoubtedly has an NBA handle.

And you're right. Do you remember that giant national campaign Nike ran for Mateen Cleaves? Oh wait...

So many saying Ennis made a bad decision.

He has a guaranteed contract for 1.6 million dollars this year. That is a great decision by Ennis. I would have left college in a heartbeat for half that much.

Grant also got a guaranteed contract as a 2nd rounder for 885 K.

Guys, a player COULD develop into a great player. However, if you can get guaranteed money now, you almost always take it.

If you truly do develop, you get paid on the 2nd contract and that is the contract where the big money is made anyways. If you don't, well, you have 6 figures to use to go back to school.

Also, unsure of the NBA, but MLB pays for high school draftee's college. Wouldn't be surprised if some tuition matching is normal in NBA rookie contracts.

So many saying Ennis made a bad decision.

He has a guaranteed contract for 1.6 million dollars this year. That is a great decision by Ennis. I would have left college in a heartbeat for half that much.

Grant also got a guaranteed contract as a 2nd rounder for 885 K.

Guys, a player COULD develop into a great player. However, if you can get guaranteed money now, you almost always take it.

If you truly do develop, you get paid on the 2nd contract and that is the contract where the big money is made anyways. If you don't, well, you have 6 figures to use to go back to school.

Also, unsure of the NBA, but MLB pays for high school draftee's college. Wouldn't be surprised if some tuition matching is normal in NBA rookie contracts.

Life is all about choices, and that is part of what my Breaking Bad avatar signifies. I'm not Tyler, so I can't weigh the pros and cons like he can for his personal decision. I can, however, post this:

Athleticism is one of his least valuable traits.

For a PG, he has very questionable athleticism at the NBA level.

Tyler and company went for the cash not to play in the league. I think he obtained a short term goal, but it was not the best strategy if he wanted to stick in the league. Statistically being sent to the D league is not a great sign for him. He is making mucho dinero right now though vs nothing(i think) if at SU.

Tyler and company went for the cash not to play in the league. I think he obtained a short term goal, but it was not the best strategy if he wanted to stick in the league. Statistically being sent to the D league is not a great sign for him. He is making mucho dinero right now though vs nothing(i think) if at SU.
Maybe the Knicks could get him for cheap,I think they could use somebody with his skills.

Just wait until McCullough and Joseph have a few good games, we'll be talking about losing them.

If anything, Ennis may be sending a message to the next group that's thinking of leaving early.

Do you really think McCullough is going to be here next year? I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Recent track record of Orange in the NBA is not so good. Donte Greene, Jhonny Flynn, Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant all have struggled to find a place in the league. Wes Johnson hasn't set the world on fire. Dion has had the most success out of this group but he's underperformed IMO considering his draft position.
Hey genius you left out MCW. How convenient was that?

The idea that Tyler's career is finished because he's being sent to the d-league a week into his career; man.
I tuned into the second half of last night's Knicks game and thought Melo had been sent to the D-League.

Last edited:
I tuned into the second half of the last night's Knicks game and thought Melo had been sent to the D-League.

They're so bad. The lineup they started the 4th quarter with; I think it was Prigioni/Larkin/Early/Wear/Jason Smith. Seriously.

They're so bad. The lineup they started the 4th quarter with; I think it was Prigioni/Larkin/Early/Wear/Jason Smith. Seriously.
I realize there were extenuating circumstances last night with Stat out and Shumpert going down early, but Phil should be ashamed of presenting that product.

So much for not having to rely so much on Carmelo's scoring this season; I hope he can survive physically until this team gets healthy.

I realize there were extenuating circumstances last night with Stat out and Shumpert going down early, but Phil should be ashamed of presenting that product.

So much for not having to rely so much on Carmelo's scoring this season; I hope he can survive physically until this team gets healthy.

And you can throw in Calderon being injured. I'd say Bargnani as well, but I think he's a net negative.
But it isn't like there were a lot of avenues to improve the team in the summer. This year they'll have a better chance.

Most likely will not be a 2nd contract in NBA. Should still be in school maturing his mind and body. The ability to have your together and be a man can be just important as your skill level for a successful and lengthy career in the league.

Most likely will not be a 2nd contract in NBA. Should still be in school maturing his mind and body. The ability to have your together and be a man can be just important as your skill level for a successful and lengthy career in the league.
Lol and you know this already a few weeks into his pro career. This board always finds a way to give me a laugh.

Recent track record of Orange in the NBA is not so good. Donte Greene, Jhonny Flynn, Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant all have struggled to find a place in the league. Wes Johnson hasn't set the world on fire. Dion has had the most success out of this group but he's underperformed IMO considering his draft position.

Other than a ROTY they've done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors