Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He must have decided to enter the draft regardless of his feedback. Why did he not hire an agent when it seems he is hell bent on leaving Syracuse no matter what...?

Mike G isn't playing in the NBA either and he was in college for five years. I'm sure Tyus would have a good-to-great year for Syracuse if he came back ... but I don't think it will improve his ability to play basketball in the NBA. It's a subtle distinction, but there is a dividing line between starting (or even rotational) NBA players and the rest. Obviously, there are some exceptions, but for better or worse, I think Tyus is at his talent ceiling and that is probably a borderline 1st to mid-2nd round pick. Doesn't make him a bad guy or a bad college player.
I hear what you’re saying and I didn’t mean mikes nba success but rather the degree of his improvement. Tyus needs more dimension in his game

He must have decided to enter the draft regardless of his feedback. Why did he not hire an agent when it seems he is hell bent on leaving Syracuse no matter what...?
Apparently, he just wanted assurances of top 40 and under that circumstance he leaves. Hope I’m wrong

No sense in shutting the door until you absolutely have to IMO. Even if he viewed himself as 90% staying in the draft, there isn't really much to gain by hiring an agent a week or two early.

Probably to get his dad off his back for a while. And he was dealing with ankle/foot problems that might have prevented him from participating in the combine.

Mike G isn't playing in the NBA either and he was in college for five years. I'm sure Tyus would have a good-to-great year for Syracuse if he came back ... but I don't think it will improve his ability to play basketball in the NBA. It's a subtle distinction, but there is a dividing line between starting (or even rotational) NBA players and the rest. Obviously, there are some exceptions, but for better or worse, I think Tyus is at his talent ceiling and that is probably a borderline 1st to mid-2nd round pick. Doesn't make him a bad guy or a bad college player.

Gbinjie's game didn't become what it was until he was a senior and forced to do more.

From what I've read, Battle didn't particularly impress at the Combine and most, if not all, reports say he needed an additional year. This was in addition to front office personnel saying he needed more seasoning after he declared. One of the biggest things he needed to do was show he could play off the ball and he didn't do that. Must have a tentative promise that he'll be drafted in the early second round. Does he play in the G League or go to a situation where he will play meaningful minutes?

Regarding the decision, the NBA will find you if you are good. Mikal Bridges is a fourth year junior. No one is patient anymore and willing to refine their game.

I think there is definite room for improvement in Tyus' game and that another year could help. As others have mentioned he can work on his dribble, accuracy, shot mechanics, finishing, and general strength which will improve with an extra year of maturity. If he came back and this team makes a Final Four run with him carrying them it could do a lot for his stock. Now I know there are a lot of "If" and "buts" involved but there is also no guarantee he goes in the top 30-45 range in the Draft, and what if he doesn't go in that range... or get drafted at all? Who knows maybe teams make a run on Euro's in the second round. What im saying is there could be just as many risks with him declaring as staying if he isn't give a "guarantee" by some team.

The one thing I disagree with re: social media commentary on Battle, if it is in fact coming from scouts and then parroted by the draft guys, it that Battle has already "peaked" as a prospect.

That just doesn't make a ton of sense for a guy so young.
It’s absurd.

You have to define "good" and "recently".

It seems like a significant number of posters who equate good with being an NBA all-star and that is the only reason to leave college early.
Jerami Grant.

From what I've read, Battle didn't particularly impress at the Combine and most, if not all, reports say he needed an additional year. This was in addition to front office personnel saying he needed more seasoning after he declared. One of the biggest things he needed to do was show he could play off the ball and he didn't do that. Must have a tentative promise that he'll be drafted in the early second round. Does he play in the G League or go to a situation where he will play meaningful minutes?
I think it's just stubbornness. What's funny is he probably believes his dad was wrong for convincing him to switch from Michigan to Syracuse, so he's not listening to anyone but himself this time around. But this time around his dad is right.

They had Jay Wright interviewed remotely one day at the Combine. Adrian and the NBA exec guy said Nova players are really coveted now even if they would only be role players. They asked him about that. Wright said they try to develop every skill set in every player. He said in recruiting he tells the players that they will have to be good at passing, shooting, rebounding, and dribbling while at Nova, regardless of position. It was pretty cool. He also said it’s a team first mentality which goes without saying.
That doesn't even really make sense. Villanova has had 2 guys drafted in the past decade and only 6 since y2k. Weird that they're so coveted, yet so rare in the NBA...

I think it's just stubbornness. What's funny is he probably believes his dad was wrong for convincing him to switch from Michigan to Syracuse, so he's not listening to anyone but himself this time around. But this time around his dad is right.

Really hard to say definitively “if his dad is right.” So many variables. Who knows if he likes the system as well. Would he still be used playing ISO, wasting time, staring down a defender, then making some moves?

That doesn't even really make sense. Villanova has had 2 guys drafted in the past decade and only 6 since y2k. Weird that they're so coveted, yet so rare in the NBA...

I hear ya but that is what they were saying. Also, I think some undrafted guys recently have stuck on NBA rosters from the G-League.

Really hard to say definitively “if his dad is right.” So many variables. Who knows if he likes the system as well. Would he still be used playing ISO, wasting time, staring down a defender, then making some moves?
IMO the only was his dad is wrong is if he gets drafted in the first round.

I hear ya but that is what they were saying. Also, I think some undrafted guys recently have stuck on NBA rosters from the G-League.
They've had 5 guys play in the NBA. The 5 in the NBA this year were Lowry, Dante Cunningham, Darrun Hilliard, Josh Hart and Archidiacono. Lowry '06, Cunningham '09, Hilliard '15 and Hart '17 were the only draftees. I believe Ocheafu is the only one who was in the G League, in addition.

SU had 10 guys play in the NBA and another 4 G League this year, by comparison.

What would give you the impression that he feels that way about his decision to play for SU over UM? I’m not seeing that mentioned anywhere.

Now that's some real speculative lunacy, in a thread with lots of serious competition.

They've had 5 guys play in the NBA. The 5 in the NBA this year were Lowry, Dante Cunningham, Darrun Hilliard, Josh Hart and Archidiacono. Lowry '06, Cunningham '09, Hilliard '15 and Hart '17 were the only draftees. I believe Ocheafu is the only one who was in the G League, in addition.

SU had 10 guys play in the NBA and another 4 G League this year, by comparison.

Well that should make the whole Combine panel view of Villanova and that Wright interview erroneous then.

Now that's some real speculative lunacy, in a thread with lots of serious competition.
Deadpool-thumbs-up.jpg

My dad,sis,brother in law and nephew all went to Nova. It’s a culture. It’s a small family. It’s intimate where everyone knows one another. They all keep in touch and get together. Nova is a clique. Great education with a beautiful safe campus. Many alumni want their kids to follow. Wright is an excellent coach, charming and handsome. Good salesman attributes. Nova players seem very articulate and academic. Nova won’t settle for less. It’s an overall nice package for a recruit. Oh, and yes I am jealous and hate them.

Are any of our inside people saying he’s leaving ‘Cuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.