U.S. Women's Open | Syracusefan.com

U.S. Women's Open

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
Interesting finish to the U.S. Women's Open yesterday. Anna Nordqvist was penalized for grounding her club in the bunker on the 2nd hold of a 3 hold playoff. But they didn't enforce the penalty until the middle of the third playoff hole after reviewing on tv replay.

Lang wins Women's Open after Nordqvist penalty

I get that it was a penalty but really unfortunate on the timing of the enforcement. The world of HDTV has really become a factor in some of these rulings. For just casual fans that might have been watching, I have to wonder if it turned off a lot of them with what may appear as one of golf's silly rules.

To top off the day, the USGA president kept calling Brittany Lang as Bethany Lang during the trophy presentation.

USGA prez botches name of U.S. Open champ

Interesting finish to the U.S. Women's Open yesterday. Anna Nordqvist was penalized for grounding her club in the bunker on the 2nd hold of a 3 hold playoff. But they didn't enforce the penalty until the middle of the third playoff hole after reviewing on tv replay.

Lang wins Women's Open after Nordqvist penalty

I get that it was a penalty but really unfortunate on the timing of the enforcement. The world of HDTV has really become a factor in some of these rulings. For just casual fans that might have been watching, I have to wonder if it turned off a lot of them with what may appear as one of golf's silly rules.

To top off the day, the USGA president kept calling Brittany Lang as Bethany Lang during the trophy presentation.

USGA prez botches name of U.S. Open champ
When asked to comment, current men's U.S. Open champion Lyndon Johnson said "all this stuff is no big deal."

It's another one of those rules where it needs to be black or white or it can be easily exploited imo.

My thought while watching it was "how many tournaments in the past may have been altered b/c of new technology, or just b/c we now have 18-hole coverage of events?" It's very possible that, say, Jack or Tiger broke a rule during one of there 32 major victories but it was never caught. Knowing Tiger, it is equally likely that it was intentional.