UConn Complaining About "Academic Shenanigans"? lol | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UConn Complaining About "Academic Shenanigans"? lol

APR and academics are not the same thing. They just aren't. Ask or read up on them, big difference.

Off the top of my head, I think Marcus Williams missed the second semester in 2004 because of academics. He was literally the third guard on the team and many wanted him to start over Taliek Brown. UConn played the second semester with no true backup PG or SG. UConn still won a NC, Williams did not receive a ring.

Melo failed out, Southerland was accused of cheating. Again read up on the APR if you think UConn players failing to get APR scores means a thing about their grades or cheating.

I'll save you some trouble with an example:

A player can contribute to a bad APR score after having a 4.0 GPA for 7 semesters, but only taking the minimum course load to stay eligible by NCAA standards. In his final semester he has a C average going into finals, but skips finals to attend professional workouts (NBA/Europe). He ends up with all incompletes and failures his final semester. Since he now failed and didn't have the credits he needed he is a 0/2 that final semester.

A player has a 2.0 as a freshman while taking the minimum for the NCAA, I think it's 18 credit hours for a full freshman year (9 per semester). The player completes all course work with a 2.0. He goes pro, and because he completed freshman level courses was able to finish without taking a single final in class his second semester. He is a 2/2 by the APR.

Who was the better student? Both are legitimately eligible during their playing time.

There are many more flawed situations, transfers needing higher GPA's than players leaving to go pro to get 2/2's, etc.

You make a valid point about the distinction between academics and APR .. but this distinction is made in the thread (see discussion of APR versus academic integrity policy). APR is an academic measurement (graduation = succesful completion of a course of study). But it's only one measure. Obviously, there have to be other metrics -- including academic integrity standards -- beyond just 'graduation'. That was the point of the thread -- that suspensions arn't "shifty shenanigans", they're healthy academic enforcement measures that have to be taken even against STAR players.

This applies in equal measure to Yukon's suspension of Williams, who was in/out of academic problems the whole 2003/4 year. Like Fab's and Southerland's, his suspension, while regretable, is not a total negative -- because it shows that his school expects some level of academic competence from STAR athletes. Unfortunately, there are precious few examples of this. In fact, UConn often wrist-slaps players for serious criminal offenses (AJ Price is the most obvious exception). The thread gave examples.

At the end of the day ... while all schools struggle with academic and graduation issues ... Yukon should not be throwing any stones. That's really why I posted the thread.

because it shows that his school expects some level of academic competence from STAR athletes. Unfortunately, there are precious few examples of this.
Exactly. Not suspending James Southerland while he went through the process is something that the NCAA would have a fit about. SU suspended him while he went through the appeals process, regardless of his status as a senior leader and leading scorer of the powerful men's basketball team. He won his appeal in front of a group of independent panelists and has since been reinstated.

You make a valid point about the distinction between academics and APR .. but this distinction is made in the thread (see discussion of APR versus academic integrity policy). APR is an academic measurement (graduation = succesful completion of a course of study). But it's only one measure. Obviously, there have to be other metrics -- including academic integrity standards -- beyond just 'graduation'. That was the point of the thread -- that suspensions arn't "shifty shenanigans", they're healthy academic enforcement measures that have to be taken even against STAR players.

This applies in equal measure to Yukon's suspension of Williams, who was in/out of academic problems the whole 2003/4 year. Like Fab's and Southerland's, his suspension, while regretable, is not a total negative -- because it shows that his school expects some level of academic competence from STAR athletes. Unfortunately, there are precious few examples of this. In fact, UConn often wrist-slaps players for serious criminal offenses (AJ Price is the most obvious exception). The thread gave examples.

At the end of the day ... while all schools struggle with academic and graduation issues ... Yukon should not be throwing any stones. That's really why I posted the thread.

Williams wasnt technically in/out of academic problems. He was in them the second semester and never made it back on the court that year.

Also, I think you mean Williams was given a light penalty for his part in the laptops. Price missed a year. Supposedly this was due to Price lying about it / being more involved, though some have questioned if Price was healthy enough to play anyway.

Most major programs have had issues. Neither Cuse nor UConn should throw stones, but these are fans and thus it happens. I honestly could care less if someone's junks UConn for APR issues or laptops, but claiming it is a true or good measure of academics is just utter nonsense. Just get the darn facts right.

Williams wasnt technically in/out of academic problems. He was in them the second semester and never made it back on the court that year.

Also, I think you mean Williams was given a light penalty for his part in the laptops. Price missed a year. Supposedly this was due to Price lying about it / being more involved, though some have questioned if Price was healthy enough to play anyway.

Most major programs have had issues. Neither Cuse nor UConn should throw stones, but these are fans and thus it happens. I honestly could care less if someone's junks UConn for APR issues or laptops, but claiming it is a true or good measure of academics is just utter nonsense. Just get the darn facts right.
Agree on all this. APR is one (facile) metric to be sure. And yes, I was arguing that UConn has let a few stars off light after criminal activity (but they did throw the book at AJ.

At any rate, Boatright was a one-man wrecking crew last night and I had to turn the game off in disgust, frankly. SU punked UConn 3 straight times last year (with Drummond). So there was going to be a reckoning sooner or later.

I just wish we had an anchor in the middle who didn't get pushed around by the likes (no offense) of Tyler Zoolander.

Cheers.

Agree on all this. APR is one (facile) metric to be sure. And yes, I was arguing that UConn has let a few stars off light after criminal activity (but they did throw the book at AJ.

At any rate, Boatright was a one-man wrecking crew last night and I had to turn the game off in disgust, frankly. SU punked UConn 3 straight times last year (with Drummond). So there was going to be a reckoning sooner or later.

I just wish we had an anchor in the middle who didn't get pushed around by the likes (no offense) of Tyler Zoolander.

Cheers.

None taken, honestly I was shocked Olander played that well. Cuse is missing a meaty big this year. You guys don't have a banger down low like you have had in the past.

Drummond is freak athlete but he is a player built more for the current pro game rather than the college game (better spacing, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom