UConn CYA Later | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn CYA Later

An 18 yr old recruit is very impressed with SU's consistency in the 1920's -1980's while UConn was in the Yankee Conf and our early years in the BE. The greater measure / current perception of our success is our 3 NC's and the # of great UConn players in the NBA that kids want to emulate. But hey, you just keep on reflecting Mr Lone Ranger... as we more than stack up with SU.

Most basketball scholars will tell you that a Helms title is more prestigious than an NCAA. This is particularly the case after top recruits started going directly to the NBA, or one-and-dones. I look at any title after 1990 as a lesser achievement. In fact, in terms of "real" titles, Syracuse is 2-0 vs. UConn. When factoring in "lesser" titles, we're tied numerically, but we have the edge on quality.

Most basketball scholars will tell you that a Helms title is more prestigious than an NCAA. This is particularly the case after top recruits started going directly to the NBA, or one-and-dones. I look at any title after 1990 as a lesser achievement. In fact, in terms of "real" titles, Syracuse is 2-0 vs. UConn. When factoring in "lesser" titles, we're tied numerically, but we have the edge on quality.
good one...are you 80 years old? :)

I fail to see why you're offended. I've been quite effusive in my praise of UConn's effort last night. Your team worked harder and executed better. There is no shame in being scrappy and playing above your station. I too will miss this series and UConn. You have typically played us well and even pulled off some shocking upsets. You were the Tonto to our Lone Ranger in the 90s when Georgetown and St John's disappeared and we kept the Big East afloat. That being said, you don't have the illustrious history we have. We were winning national titles when Connecticut Agricultural College students were shooting an inflated pig’s hide at a peach basket tied to the side of a barn. We have arguably the greatest lacrosse program in history and a top tier football program. You have come a long way, and I hope things work out for you, but we’re off to the ACC now to dominate another conference in typical Syracuse fashion. Wish us well, because reflected glory is still glory of a sort.

Us stupid UCONN fans think that BB was invented in 1990.

But of course, since 1990 we have as many NC as SU has sweet 16 wins. So we've got that going for us.

You are a lovely caricature of Cuse fans. I get Marsh's hate and jdubs spin, but really this is just blatant silliness.

The two Helms awards Cuse has, were based on Cuse claiming a National Championship based on panel voting by the Helms committee years/decades after the seasons in question ended. There was no tournament, no actual championship game, nothing but a vote by some guys in California. There was no rhyme or reason for what they did, no TV to allow all voters to see every team/game. Heck, there were people voting who likely never saw a single Cuse game those seasons.

You are a lovely caricature of Cuse fans. I get Marsh's hate and jdubs spin, but really this is just blatant silliness.

The two Helms awards Cuse has, were based on Cuse claiming a National Championship based on panel voting by the Helms committee years/decades after the seasons in question ended. There was no tournament, no actual championship game, nothing but a vote by some guys in California. There was no rhyme or reason for what they did, no TV to allow all voters to see every team/game. Heck, there were people voting who likely never saw a single Cuse game those seasons.

In other words the Helms was awarded to the team that was indisputably the best performer during the ENTIRE season, as opposed to a .500 team's lucky stumble through a fortuitous tournament? I think you will agree, if you'd bothered to do the research, that the Syracuse Helm's champions DESERVED their trophies for their entire body of work. And those teams were GOOD top to bottom. Schwarzer, Cronaeur... boy oh boy. I doubt your 2011 team would be within 20 points at halftime if they met up in some hypothetical showdown with 1918!

Us stupid UCONN fans think that BB was invented in 1990.

But of course, since 1990 we have as many NC as SU has sweet 16 wins. So we've got that going for us.

Now who is labelling you "stupid", you or me? There is no reason for rancor or sarcasm. We're having an excellent debate here and you're free to join in. My hope is you'll leave with a little more knowledge of basketball history than you showed up with.

31228183.jpg

Wow...we should thank you for that opportunity? ..and we've never amounted to much? Just slightly delusional..but I guess if you keep saying it enough times to yourself, you come to believe it.

I've enjoyed the series and hate to see if end...I have kids who went to both schools and can't even come close to understanding this kind of perception.

What you have for UConn is an entire generation of kids/ballplayers who see us as a national presence and while life has dealt us some short term disappointments related to conference realignment, I have no doubt that in the changing landscape of college sports, that we'll end up in a good space soon.

But hey, I'm glad we could be a scrappy little brother that tested SU every once in awhile..

I'm sure you'll move on and create a new rivalry with Tulane.

I have to say, I was disappointed to see their reaction to the win. They should thank us for the opportunity to showcase their team, rather than reveling in victory. They should be mindful of the fact that Syracuse was the train that they hitched their buggy to so long ago. I fear for their sake that while we’re shining out three national title trophies (along with many more to come), they have been left behind to toil in obscurity, their trophy case full of only cobwebs and dead dreams. Their energetic, but woefully untalented bunch stole one from us, that's true, but that has more to do with our lackadaisical effort than anything else. We need to learn that winning never comes easy, even when you’re the best.

That being said, it's been a good, spirited series, and even though UConn's program never amounted to much, they were, at times, the scrappy little brother who brought out the best in us; a solid test during the regular season before we inevitably moved on to greater challenges and glories in March.
I had an uncle with Alzheimer's. Terrible disease. You're in my prayers.

I can no longer say the phrase "high five" out loud without saying it like Borat. And yes, I am deliberately trying to derail an already train-wrecked thread.

I can no longer say the phrase "high five" out loud without saying it like Borat. And yes, I am deliberately trying to derail an already train-wrecked thread.

That's what I try to do to every thread.

I had an uncle with Alzheimer's. Terrible disease. You're in my prayers.

There seems to be a lot of agism popping up on this thread. It's a shame to see prejudice of this type taking the place of informed debate.

I'm talking about you being part of the "" brigade, while I'm taking the time to point out how Syracuse's history and accomplishments stack up to UConn's. It's a lesson I'm quite qualified to teach, since I've first-hand been around for quite a bit of it. Sports go back farther than the advent of ESPN Sportsshow and dunk highlight reels. Go to a library, read a book, learn about our history and enlighten the opposition. Start with the 1918 team. Can you even name the roster?

Are you actually Bernie Fine?

There seems to be a lot of agism popping up on this thread. It's a shame to see prejudice of this type taking the place of informed debate.
It's OK, in a few hours they won't remember what we said about them.

I'm so going to hell.

Are you actually Bernie Fine?

No, of course not. I do know Bernie a little though, and he is a fine fellow, and worthy of support. I once quipped to Bernie that a radical ablation of the membrum virile might do him some good. Ha ha! He had no idea what I was talking about, of course.

fast forward 2 years......

I am flipping through the channels and come across a nice close game between SMU and UConn.
As I watch, I recall the battles SU and Uconn had back in the day.
I then snap out of it and switch back to the UNC vs. Pitt game... (because the outcome matters)
It is at this point in time that I will begin to feel sorry for Uconn and it's fans.

As for today... C-ya Suckers!

fast forward 2 years......

I am flipping through the channels and come across a nice close game between SMU and UConn on The Ocho.

fixed.

fixed.

I'll be sure to tune info for the big game with Clemson. I'm thinking I'll really need some sun glasses for all that orange.. Sorta like walking into Manny's...

The ACC (not that I wouldn't want to be part of it sooner rather than later) is not all powerhouses..

I'll bite.

81 posts. Probably most in the last two days. Using a Rutgirls-like argument (We have 53 conference championships against Lehigh and Princeton) Please. Just ban this troll who is dressed up as an Orange fan.

Why is anyone even responding to SUforLife? It's 1000% clear he's a troll and just trying to bait people into arguing with him.

The Connecticut Agricultural College had its main milking barn on the exact site of Gampell Pavillion at the same time we were winning Helms titles, bathing ouselves in glory. True story. Learn your history. It will be your greatest ally in debates with opposing fans. Or you can go back to your habitual use of a vulgur term and "UConn". I, for one, will take the highroad every time.
You're a uconn troll. And not a very clever one, either.