UK's potential flaw... | Syracusefan.com

UK's potential flaw...

bpo57

Living Legend
I do think they're the best defensive team in the country but their lack of depth could be an issue for several reasons. They incur any sort of injury or serious foul trouble it could be a major problem for them. But maybe even more important is that a young team whose starters play lots of minutes could begin to hit the wall a bit and that may have some impact in the latter half of March.

Hello Mr. Dykes.

DSCN2189.JPG

We absolutely have to penetrate. Scoop, Dion, Triche, KJo (yes that means dribbling) have to drive; Fab and Fair have to be ready to catch the ball. Take the ball right at AD, he might block some early, but getting him 2 early fouls is absolutely worth it.

The biggest concern for UK is slipping on Dykes' jizz on the sideline.

I'd like to see Mike Patrick and Jimmy Dykes call a Duke/UK matchup.

Reactions: MGP
Well, since Dykes repeatedly states and insists that absolutely no team can zone UK, we have no shot in hell. :noidea:

It's just crazy that a comeback win @ an under-500 in conference MSU squad is garnering so much praise. It's not the Duke comeback @ UNC, not even close. Not even our comeback @ Ville this year.

so after tonight we know that UK has at least a potential flaw. Good we are getting somewhere. Personally, I'd say youth would be a potential flaw. But that's just me.:oops:

It's just crazUy that a comeback win @ an under-500 in conference MSU squad is garnering so much praise. It's not the Duke comeback @ UNC, not even close. Not even our comeback @ Ville this year.

That and anybody watching could see it was clearly 5 on 8 for the stretch run starting with that missed call on a dunk and then T call.

It's just crazy that a comeback win @ an under-500 in conference MSU squad is garnering so much praise. It's not the Duke comeback @ UNC, not even close. Not even our comeback @ Ville this year.
Blasphemer!

That and anybody watching could see it was clearly 5 on 8 for the stretch run starting with that missed call on a dunk and then T call.
The really late foul call on Miller's 3pt attempt was pretty out of the blue, too. Brought it to within 1, then MKG took the lead. Huge call.

Edit: also, UK had 10 total fouls. 4 on Teague. Yup, that's all you need to know.

The really late foul call on Miller's 3pt attempt was pretty out of the blue, too. Brought it to within 1, then MKG took the lead. Huge call.

Edit: also, UK had 10 total fouls. 4 on Teague. Yup, that's all you need to know.

10 fouls for the game? Christ, they had 20% of that total on that one dunk where the refs didn't blow the whistle (the one that led to the trip).

With all due respect, I disagree. Duke's comeback was very good. I will put that ahead of last night but how would you consider coming back from 5 points down with 4 minutes left (in a game you trailed by no more than 6 and even that was in the first 5 minutes) against an offensively putrid team better than turning a 13 point halftime deficit into an 11 point win?

If you watched the rest of the game, you would have seen that it was clearly the other way for the other 28 minutes. Teague gets a T for clapping his hands together and Davis gets a T for preventing himself from doing what Evan Turner did a few years back. back being the operative word.

In an evenly called game for 40 minutes, UK wins by 20+. Not opportune FTs for MSU EVERY TIME UK made a run...

If you watched the rest of the game, you would have seen that it was clearly the other way for the other 28 minutes. Teague gets a T for clapping his hands together and Davis gets a T for preventing himself from doing what Evan Turner did a few years back. back being the operative word.

In an evenly called game for 40 minutes, UK wins by 20+. Not opportune FTs for MSU EVERY TIME UK made a run...
lol @ 20+

With all due respect, I disagree. Duke's comeback was very good. I will put that ahead of last night but how would you consider coming back from 5 points down with 4 minutes left (in a game you trailed by no more than 6 and even that was in the first 5 minutes) against an offensively putrid team better than turning a 13 point halftime deficit into an 11 point win?
Because MSU is 6-7 in the SEC, unranked and just not a very good basketball team. I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been, but what I really meant to convey was not the actual comeback, but the overall win. A win on the road vs. a top-20 to top-15 ranked Louisville team, with as awful a matchup it has been for SU the last handful of years, trumps UK's performance vs. MSU.

Ville still averages over 70ppg, with their only bad loss coming at Providence, though SU's win vs. UL was still one of their worst games of the season, it showed more to overcome a 1-29 outside the paint shooting night to win on the road vs. a top-20 team than what happened in Starkville. This is a Mississippi State team that lost to Akron earlier this year, and 3 straight to LSU, UGA and Auburn going into that game. The game shouldn't have been close. Don't think it should really be looked at as something miraculous. Just my opinion.

tl;dr, I'd have been more concerned with the 13 point deficit than happy about the comeback.

I'd rate it not much different than ND or UConn coming back on 'Nova. Not very good team comes out smoking but can't hold on because, well, there not a very good team...

Lol.. crazy uk.. seriously.. get off the blue crack. 17 fouls to 10.. Davis' T was legit. He hung on the rim for fun.. Teague was running his mouth after the call.. that was legit. I noticed how you diverted away from the push in the back calls, the blatant missed foul by Davis on the dunk attempt that resulted in a nearly 7 point swing... come on dude - thats as biased and one sided as it gets. MSU was sloppy with the ball but you were given a few gifts by the officials last night. Davis could easily have been nailed with several reach ins. He is overly active with his hands and is awful lucky he doesn't get into more foul trouble. He often does not go up straight with his arms.

If I were a UK fan there are a few things I would be concerned about. 1 of which is that Teague - against a quality PG - struggled. An experience quality PG gave him trouble. A second concern I would have is that a smart team with an attacking style will use Davis' tendency to follow the ballhandler off the pick to use weakside cutters much more often. Both jones and davis like to attack on the drive from an angle which opens up the weak side for cutters. MSU did not take advantage last night but they could have had a field day if they were a better squad. The third issue is that UK is not nearly as dominant inside against teams with quality frontcourt players. UK fans say cuse would struggle mightily and I say yes davis would be a problem but we have bigs that can pass and wings that attack. MKG and TJ are very vulnerable to attacks from the wings and getting into foul trouble. A team with options and size will give UK troubles. The SEC is without many teams with that approach. Most of the SEC squads are in love with the 3 ball which gives UK a significant advantage as they can attack off missed shots on long rebounds and not be forced to run their half court offense. Finally - as much as I know you want Jimmy Dykes to be right about UK can't be zoned.. its quite the opposite. UK has been good against bad zones this year. Miss St was no different.. but they played it a bit better. When UK can make two quick passes they do well. Once the easy option is shut off UK quick looks to force the dribble drive which resulted in four turnovers last night. SU's focus is around taking away the easy one two option of attack the foul line and kicking it out. This then creates a need to have to make the fourth and fifth passes to get into the offense. UK will be forced to use Davis on the high screen against the zone, taking him away from the hoop on offense - an advantage for SU. UK's strength with MKG and Jones - SU can match inside from a sheer strength perspective as well as an athleticism perspective. Last night I saw a team that relies on many very basic offensive sets and pure athleticism to win. That won't cut it in the tourney. UK can't expect Miller to bail them out every time. UK definitely has flaws.. and they did not deserve to win last night .. I don't care how much blue crack crazy uk has smoked.

I noticed that they really only make one of two decisions on offense:
- Penetrate & dish to 3pt line.
- Tunnel vision solo drive to the hoop.

The thing is that they have so many talented athletes that their constant penetration causes teams too many problems keeping up with them, and most teams cant even stop their players' 1v1 drives to the hoops. I think that a zone counters this rather well; as long as rebounding doesn't get out of hand we should have the advantage.

TBH though I really don't like all the "SU -vs- Kentucky" discussion ... the simple fact is that there is a 90%+ chance that the only time these teams would meet would be in the championship game. That is a long ways away and a long shot for both teams to get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom